VSIDO 2014_01_13.iso Feedback

ew

Quote from: VastOne on January 20, 2014, 04:30:08 AM
I added a 10s delay to the systray tint2 and it seems to have resolved the issue

Can make that an easy change...

Thanks for the feedback Rat Man!

Here is mine. Works perfect without delay, and I use panel_layer = normal and strut_policy = follow_size.
(I have enabled FBS, and use a different background definition that merges it with the conky, so it all looks like one bar)
Sorry for not using the code-snippet, but for some reason that made the text huuuge...

#---------------------------------------------
# TINT2 CONFIG FILE

# BACKGROUND AND BORDER

# Background definitions
# ID 1
rounded = 0
border_width = 0
background_color = #000000 100
border_color = #000000 0

# PANEL
# wm_menu = 1
panel_items = FBS
panel_monitor = all
panel_position = top right
panel_size = 155 35
panel_margin = 0 0
panel_padding = 0 0
font_shadow = 0
panel_background_id = 1
panel_layer = normal

# SYSTRAYBAR
systray = 1
systray_padding = 8 2 3
systray_sort = ascending
systray_background_id = 1
systray_icon_size = 35

# Launchers
launcher_icon_theme = LinuxLex-8
launcher_padding = 2 2 2
launcher_background_id = 1

# CLOCK
#time1_format = %H:%M
#time1_font = sans 8
#time2_format = %A %d %B
#time2_font = sans 6
#clock_font_color = #ffffff 76
#clock_padding = 4 4
#clock_background_id = 1

# BATTERY
battery = 1
battery_low_status = 7
battery_low_cmd = notify-send "battery low"
bat1_font = sans 8
bat2_font = sans 6
battery_font_color = #ffffff 76
battery_padding = 1 0
battery_background_id = 1

# MOUSE ACTION ON TASK
mouse_middle = none
mouse_right = none
mouse_scroll_up = toggle
mouse_scroll_down = iconify

# Panel Autohide
autohide = 0
autohide_show_timeout = 0.0
autohide_hide_timeout = 0.0
autohide_height = 3
strut_policy = follow_size

-ew
-----------------------------
"What happens when you read some doc and either it doesn't answer your question or is demonstrably wrong? In Linux, you say "Linux sucks" and go read the code. In Windows/Oracle/etc you say "Windows sucks" and start banging your head against the wall."
--- Denis Vlasenko on lkml

PackRat

Quote from: VastOne on January 20, 2014, 04:21:15 AM
I was suspecting the same thing... I will test several different variants and orders of the startup until I am comfortable with it

Jedi has told me on the IRC he never sees this behavior and he has extended the sleep time on several tint2 configs that he uses

We shall get to the bottom of it

Thanks Rat Man!

I had it lock up once this morning; a restart of tint2 and all functioning now. Rearranged the startup order, and some other edits to ~/.fluxbox/startup and going well. I suppose the next step is to leave the computer idle for a while and see if the problem returns.

One other thing I tried, in the ~/.fluxbox/init file I now have -

session.screen0.toolbar.tools: prevworkspace, workspacename, nextworkspace,

so that there is nothing on that line competing with tint2 - probably overkill.

@ew - what is "F" in the panel_items? Not in the tint2 wiki; I don't follow the progress of tint2 so I am unaware of undocumented items.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

jedi

I also did a little research this morning and could find no correlation with the 'F' listed in ew's config.  If this is a new feature I'd be interested in knowing it's function!  Thanks ew, and PackRat your Fluxbox knowledge as well as your vast knowledge on the other WM's you so terrifically represent here is much appreciated!
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

VastOne

I had already eliminated the F as the culprit...

@PackRat, the F is from patches supplied from the tint2 sources here.. for the life of me I cannot figure out why development has stopped on tint2 and nothing more added... I repackaged tint2 to include these patches... if you want the built code let me know

I appreciate the continued help and investigation on this

@hakerdefo ...  I like that setup as well and it is included on the ISO, but I thought it would be overkill of a good thing!
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Ah, a patch. I suspect that, like the dev for pypanel, the devs for tint2 decided it did what it needed to do and moved on.

No more issues with systray icons not working on my end.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

ew

Quote from: VastOne on January 20, 2014, 03:16:20 PM
I had already eliminated the F as the culprit...

@PackRat, the F is from patches supplied from the tint2 sources here.. for the life of me I cannot figure out why development has stopped on tint2 and nothing more added... I repackaged tint2 to include these patches... if you want the built code let me know

Yes, and the lack of development in tint2 makes me feel that we probably should use another solution. But I love tint2, so it`s hard to actually  take the step and leave it for something else. I especially like the possibility to split the taskbar between different virtual desktops. To my knowledge this isn`t possible to duplicate with anything else. All other solutions only shows the taskbar for the active desktop... If I`m wrong, I would be very happy to be corrected  :)
-ew
"What happens when you read some doc and either it doesn't answer your question or is demonstrably wrong? In Linux, you say "Linux sucks" and go read the code. In Windows/Oracle/etc you say "Windows sucks" and start banging your head against the wall."

VastOne

I am pretty sure you can get lxpanel to behave on multiple desktops... I never tried it as I am a one desktop kind of person

I still think lxpanel is better, especially for the beginner... when you can right click and make changes, it is easier than learning tint2

I dev VSIDO

ew

Quote from: VastOne on January 21, 2014, 12:21:38 AM
I am pretty sure you can get lxpanel to behave on multiple desktops... I never tried it as I am a one desktop kind of person

I still think lxpanel is better, especially for the beginner... when you can right click and make changes, it is easier than learning tint2

No doubt about it. lxpanel is easier to learn. I have no problems getting lxpanel to behave on multiple desktops, but it does it a little bit different.
-ew

hakerdefo

Quote from: VastOne on January 20, 2014, 03:16:20 PM
@hakerdefo ...  I like that setup as well and it is included on the ISO, but I thought it would be overkill of a good thing!
I think you misunderstood. I wasn't referring to "Right wing of the Gnome3/Shell" version. I was talking about "the single panel/launcher/task manager/systray" here,

Cheers.
You Can't Always Git What You Want

VastOne

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Quote from: VastOne on January 20, 2014, 04:30:08 AM
I added a 10s delay to the systray tint2 and it seems to have resolved the issue

Can make that an easy change...

Thanks for the feedback Rat Man!

As with all things linux, there are multiple methods to the madness. I solved it by starting compton after fluxbox in the ~/.fluxbox/startup file.

<snip>

# tint2 and conky start before fluxbox - usually about 3s delay for each on my systems
tint2-panel &
tint2-systray
conky

exec fluxbox &
fbpid=$!

# start compositing after everything is loaded up
sleep 1
{
        compton
} &

wait $fbpid
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo