Once again back here...

ew

Once again back here...to see how the new release is, and it`s awesome as usual. Easy, fast and flawless installation, and VSIDO even made kernel 3.12-1 work for me. Which I`ve only achieved in one of my many other installs, but  I can`t seem to duplicate it. But with VSIDO it was no issue at all. Strange, but good strange :D

Anyway, I`m not sure if I will stick with Fluxbox, but I`ll give it a chance... It`s not that I don`t like it, but I do know openbox in and out, and I`m unsure if there is any point in trying to learn Fluxbox, when the end result will be pretty much the same. So if I decide to go for Fluxbox, it will be because I`ve left openbox behind me, and I`m not sure that I will do that yet. I`m still naive enough to hope for some development in openbox and tint2  ::)

You`ve done a very good job with the installer. This is probably the easiest and fastest installation I`ve ever experienced. I will stick around for a bit this time, to see if VSIDO could be a better base for my projects than Crunchbang. Being on Sid, and low in size, it`s already a better starting-point....

-ew
-----------------------------
"What happens when you read some doc and either it doesn't answer your question or is demonstrably wrong? In Linux, you say "Linux sucks" and go read the code. In Windows/Oracle/etc you say "Windows sucks" and start banging your head against the wall."
--- Denis Vlasenko on lkml

VastOne

Welcome back ew, glad to have you around again...

Regarding learning FluxBox, whats to learn?   ;)

I appreciate your love for OB and would never choose anything for you, but there really is nothing at all about FluxBox that you do not already know
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

zbreaker

Aye ew..my feelings are much like yours.

Of late, I've been a devotee of the #! distro, after spending some time with Slackware. #! is indeed good. VastOne has done an incredible job crafting what seems to be, as time progresses, the perfect distro for my capabilities and requirements at present. I've also grown and become comfortable with openbox as a #! user. Stumbled a bit with fluxbox, but each day brings new insights as to how cool it really is. I will continue my journey 8)

VastOne

Just throwing this out to both of you... not for any debate or anything..

I would bet just about anything that had you got to know or used FluxBox before OB, you would probably be saying exactly what you are now

Was that confusing?

???

I dev VSIDO

zbreaker

^
No truer words can be spoken. It is a matter of timed exposure and familiarity.

PackRat

^^ got that right - I was pretty much the same way with fvwm.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

ew

Quote from: VastOne on January 15, 2014, 02:51:56 AM
Just throwing this out to both of you... not for any debate or anything..

I would bet just about anything that had you got to know or used FluxBox before OB, you would probably be saying exactly what you are now

Was that confusing?

???

Obviously. But it is a bit like Debian versus Arch. I know apt, why should I learn pacman -syu and all that foreign language  ;D

Fluxbox isn`t all that much to learn. But the config are a bit different from openbox. In openbox I pretty much did everything in menu.xml and rc.xml. Flux has other config-files, like that apps-file and the keys-file. It isn`t a steap learning curve, but it requires a tiny bit of effort, and the worst thing about being a Crunchbanger, is that #! makes you way to comfortable and lazy.

But it`s not only that I know my way around in openbox, but also that I`ve tried to hack it in any way imaginable, so I know what is possible, and what`s not. With Flux I will have to do all that over again. But don`t worry, I`ve decided to do the effort required  :)

By the way, is LinuxLex discontinued? I can`t seem to find the icon-themes anywhere. I know that they are in VSIDO, but at some point it probably would become a issue, if they aren`t developed anymore. I just end up on this page:http://linuxlex.cz/ , and I can`t seem to find a way to the icons.

-ew
"What happens when you read some doc and either it doesn't answer your question or is demonstrably wrong? In Linux, you say "Linux sucks" and go read the code. In Windows/Oracle/etc you say "Windows sucks" and start banging your head against the wall."

VastOne

Learning another distro and package management is a natural step in distro hopping... the fun is getting everything you use on one platform to work on another...

Regarding LinuxLex and any icons... What more would be developed on icon packs?  Additional applications icons? I have not seen any second tier type icon packs developed much beyond the first year.  For most new applications, you can pull in the icon and add it to whatever icon pack you are using so the real development is upon the user IMO.

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

QuoteFluxbox isn`t all that much to learn. But the config are a bit different from openbox. In openbox I pretty much did everything in menu.xml and rc.xml. Flux has other config-files, like that apps-file and the keys-file. It isn`t a steap learning curve, but it requires a tiny bit of effort, and the worst thing about being a Crunchbanger, is that #! makes you way to comfortable and lazy.

If you're more comfortable with fewer config files, the fluxbox menu, keys, and apps file can be combined into one file - i.e ConfigFluxbox - just keep the sections discrete and edit the ~/.fluxbox/init file to source that file for the menu, key bindings, and per-app settings.

The menu and apps settings will still auto-update, but you still need to restart fluxbox for changes to the key bindings to work.

I've never tried to add in the overlay, slitlist, or windowmenu file to a master config - don't use those too often.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

ew

Quote from: PackRat on January 15, 2014, 08:01:37 PM
QuoteFluxbox isn`t all that much to learn. But the config are a bit different from openbox. In openbox I pretty much did everything in menu.xml and rc.xml. Flux has other config-files, like that apps-file and the keys-file. It isn`t a steap learning curve, but it requires a tiny bit of effort, and the worst thing about being a Crunchbanger, is that #! makes you way to comfortable and lazy.

If you're more comfortable with fewer config files, the fluxbox menu, keys, and apps file can be combined into one file - i.e ConfigFluxbox - just keep the sections discrete and edit the ~/.fluxbox/init file to source that file for the menu, key bindings, and per-app settings.

The menu and apps settings will still auto-update, but you still need to restart fluxbox for changes to the key bindings to work.

I've never tried to add in the overlay, slitlist, or windowmenu file to a master config - don't use those too often.

Thanks. Will look into that as soon as I start to configure the install. Initially I will probably try to do it with the config-files as they are now, and see if I could get used to it. But it nice to know that i can merge the config-files into a master config.
-ew

ew

Quote from: VastOne on January 15, 2014, 04:01:18 PM
Regarding LinuxLex and any icons... What more would be developed on icon packs?  Additional applications icons? I have not seen any second tier type icon packs developed much beyond the first year.  For most new applications, you can pull in the icon and add it to whatever icon pack you are using so the real development is upon the user IMO.

Yes, you are correct about the icon-themes. But I was looking for this LinuxLex-theme, and this one I haven`t saved in my Dropbox:
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/?content=133435

-ew

jeffreyC

These may not be exactly what you are looking for, but there are a lot of dead ends in searching for them.

http://linuxlex.tym.cz/icon/LinuxLex-BlackWhite.tar.gz

PackRat

Quote from: ew on January 15, 2014, 11:51:51 PM
Quote from: PackRat on January 15, 2014, 08:01:37 PM

Thanks. Will look into that as soon as I start to configure the install. Initially I will probably try to do it with the config-files as they are now, and see if I could get used to it. But it nice to know that i can merge the config-files into a master config.

I take it back - combining these files is a bad idea. Worked yesterday; fluxbox is hanging today.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

ew

@PackRat

That`s fine. I haven`t got that far yet. I`m working on appearance and functionality, trying to get the tint2 and the menus, as I want them. But there were so many tint2-configs in the system that I got a bit confused, But now it`s kind of sorted out. Except adjusting which layers the different windows and panels should belong to, in order to give me the result that I want :D The next thing is to figure out how Show/Toggle desktop works in fluxbox :)
-ew

ew

A little more feedback. The non-swap installer works with GPT, while the swap-installer doesn`t. I think I know why, and I will test it with a small edit to the installer-script. If that works, then it will not effect people with msdos-tables. But anyway, if anyone have had issues installing VSIDO to gpt-disks in the past, there is no reason to stray away from Vsido, because the non-swap installer does it perfectly, and you can easily add swap later.

And another great thing, a new world record is set with this VSIDO-release, because it is the very first time ever that my b43-wifi has worked ootb, without having to use broadcom-sta and wl :D
-ew