Fave Apps or Apps I add after installing VSIDO

statmonkey

Pretty good list hackerdefo.  I never use clawsmail but can see it being in there. I do use pithos a fair amount but it could be added per user. Please put my arandr on that list and filezilla.  But otherwise nothing to dispute.

hakerdefo

Quote from: statmonkey on January 07, 2014, 05:19:20 PM
Pretty good list hackerdefo.  I never use clawsmail but can see it being in there. I do use pithos a fair amount but it could be added per user. Please put my arandr on that list and filezilla.  But otherwise nothing to dispute.
Thanks for arandr. It is a must have utility. Actually there are apps in the above list that I don't personally use but I listed them because they integrate better with VSIDO. For example I use opera as my main browser and it has a great mail client inbuilt so I don't use clawsmail. I also didn't include many other applications like filezilla, gimp, audacity, xchat, pidgin etc. etc. as they are not something what I consider base applications.
By the way I would suggest you to try the following lightweight alternatives to filezilla and pithos,
http://gftp.seul.org/
http://6xq.net/projects/pianobar/
gFTP hasn't been updated in a while and pianobar is a console application but give them a go and see how they compare to their bigger brothers.
Cheers.
You Can't Always Git What You Want

statmonkey

Great stuff.  Yes on your comments re filezilla etc not being mandatory.

Pianobar, use it all the time on my phone.  Hmm, how did I miss that?

Will check out the others.  Appreciate the hints.

hakerdefo

This is my idea of console applications for VSIDO,

Internet:
wicd-curses, links, alpine, rtorrent
Audio-Video:
mplayer, moc, pyradio
Graphics-Image:
feh, scrot
Programming-Document:
joe, vim, poppler-utils, wordgrinder, sc
File-System:
midnight commander, parted
Utilities:
glances, conky, atool, cdw, aptitude, smxi
Cheers.

Digit

QuoteI will setup a terminal menu item on the next build.  It will have xfce4-terminal, xterm, roxterm and whatever else you all tell me is there or should be on it
when i said menu for terminal apps, i wasnt thinking of a menu that launches mere empty terminal emulators.
i meant menu options that'd launch the terminal of choice with tui apps (mc, htop, aptitude, tmux, dvtm, nano, etc).

Quotesmxi is a tough one to menu since it should not be run within X (tty1)... but the WIVAWIC page also points out that smxi is installed as a stub and can be run right away
smxi was a specific one that got me thinking an alternative console (not fluxbox) menu, written in bash, for the shell, not gui, so can be used for tty specifics, could be a nice addition.   ... or perhaps even a zenity popup when smxi is run from gui, advising on its use, and offering to close x n go run it.  :)

also, long lists of installed packages rarely encourages much exploration and experimentation to find out what everything on it is.  menus on the other hand, where things are only a click away, are a great way to introduce software to people.  :)

VastOne

VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

hakerdefo

That's what I also wanted to convey in my earlier post. By the way I think the guys at linuxbbq have already roasted such a console menu.
Cheers.

Digit

ack, didnt mean to make anyone feel bitchslapped.  XD  forgot my usual liberal use of smilies to convey levity of tone.

VastOne

Regarding a console menu, y'all that want it ... build it and I will implement it...

I dev VSIDO

Digit

Digit

Quote from: VastOne on January 08, 2014, 05:38:30 PM
Regarding a console menu, y'all that want it ... build it and I will implement it...

i made a start... at least to present some rudimentary proof of concept.  :)

http://vsido.org/index.php?topic=667.0

ew

Quote from: VastOne on January 06, 2014, 03:54:08 PM
For the record, I like xfce4-terminal... It carries none of the baggage of the xfce4 core dependencies and just works.  Having said that, I will dive into roxterm and get aquainted

Nono, you shouldn`t do that. I also love xfce4-terminal  :)
-ew
-----------------------------
"What happens when you read some doc and either it doesn't answer your question or is demonstrably wrong? In Linux, you say "Linux sucks" and go read the code. In Windows/Oracle/etc you say "Windows sucks" and start banging your head against the wall."
--- Denis Vlasenko on lkml

jeffreyC

Xfce4-terminal,relatively light, has drop down mode (like guake and tilda) and comes with solarized color themes.
Very hard to beat.

Maybe it should come on the ISO ?

VastOne

I dev VSIDO

superwow

I'm a new guy here but here's what I have installed:

ranger, dmenu, clamtk (good netizen that I am), wordgrinder, joe

I also added the Debian menu into my Fluxbox menu because sometimes i cannot remember what I installed.

I will probably install catfish and tie it into dmenu too.

I would like a good pdf viewer preinstalled. I think #! (where I just came from) had Evince, though could be mistaken. I thought it was pretty decent, but when I checked yesterday, I seem to recall it had hefty dependencies. So, whatever pdf viewer is economically feasible in your disk image. I have not yet researched this fully but ... I view a LOT of pdfs.

For streaming music, mpg123/321 is already there, cli-radio is just a wrapper for a bunch of bash aliases I think, so I just make my own bash aliases. But, also regarding music, I will prob install plait, plaiter, and/or https://github.com/np1/mps which I think is from mrneilypops. I spend all day in specialized terminals for scientific analysis and just want everything to get out of the way, so, I am always attracted to new terminal apps (which I can easily script or alias) for music.  ;D

As to a terminal menu, yep, the BBQ has lovely terminal menus in all their roasts. Actually, for some of the BBQ roasts, if it had not been for that menu, whoa! woulda been lost (moment of panic with Pidsley lol). I think I am gradually moving everything into the terminal.

Question: Everyone likes it, so, what's so good about Rox terminal?