Fave Apps or Apps I add after installing VSIDO

PackRat

Quote from: superwow on February 21, 2014, 07:06:17 AM

I would like a good pdf viewer preinstalled. I think #! (where I just came from) had Evince, though could be mistaken. I thought it was pretty decent, but when I checked yesterday, I seem to recall it had hefty dependencies. So, whatever pdf viewer is economically feasible in your disk image. I have not yet researched this fully but ... I view a LOT of pdfs.

zathura is pretty popular with people that have to work with a lot of pdf's - but it's mostly keyboard driven: http://pwmt.org/projects/zathura/
Popular with the tiling wm crowd.

epdfview and xpdf have fewer dependencies than evince; but less functionality.

Not arguing for any to be installed by default; just pointing out other pdf options - all are in the debian repos.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

hakerdefo

... I view a LOT of pdfs ...
MuPDF is a light weight no nonsense pdf viewer. Check it out,
http://mupdf.com/
... Question: Everyone likes it, so, what's so good about Rox terminal? ...
It ROX! Seriously speaking it has many features that can make life inside terminal easy. And you can configure ROXTerm with different options and save the configs as different profiles and switch between them on the fly. More info here,
http://roxterm.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=guide&lang=en
Cheers!!!
You Can't Always Git What You Want

superwow

Thanks for the feedback on pdf apps. I don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into a pdf viewer thread, so I created another thread for comparing pdf viewers in light of their built in functions, dependencies, and configurability. If it is of interest to you, go check it out.

As for Roxterm, I have done a little reading and it seems pretty capable. I'm still not sure why it seems to be so popular here and elsewhere, other than configurable keybindings maybe. That in itself is pretty cool, especially since the keybindings don't have to have vim-like/tmux-like keybindings (that activation key business is kinda tedious imo). I'll play around with Rox...

statmonkey

Warning necro bump.  Wanted to thumbs up Roxterm.  I have always been a terminator guy but finding I use Rox more and more all the time.  It's one of those things that rarely closes on my dt anymore.  OK this thread can go back to sleep now.

VastOne

VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

seppalta

Back to pdf readers:  Xournal is a "must" on my systems.  It not only reads but allows for some editing and still is lighter than the ones mentioned above:  http://lxlinux.com/#20 .

statmonkey

Interesting seppalta will check that out.  I had been looking at NotablePDF which is a chromium extension.  I actually like it because most of the PDF's I am editing are docs from legal/Acctg/Banks and such that I don't want to do much but sign and fill. I really hate PDF in the whole but it's a necessary evil I guess.

PackRat

Found a nice battery monitoring app -

juiced battery monitor designed for minimal window managers

Nice little app, needs libnotify (should be installed by default) and libnotify-dev to compile. Like all things from the suckless crowd, edit the config.def.h file - basically select the thresholds you want, and the command to execute when battery is low (dangercmd[])

here is mine -

/* See LICENSE file for copyright and license details. */

/* battery to check */
static const char battery[] = "BAT0";

/* how often to check */
static const unsigned int repeat = 60;

/* order should be danger < critical < warning; numbers in percent; check is <= */
static const signed int warning = 20;
static const signed int critical = 10;
static const signed int danger = 5;

/* what command to run if battery is under "danger" value */
static const char dangercmd[] = "sudo zzz";

Extremely low on system resources:
632.0 KiB + 139.5 KiB = 771.5 KiB juiced

Sends a nice warning to desktop:

Tried it with dwm, spectrwm, i3, xmonad, fvwm - always worked as advertised.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo