vsido vs vsido raptor vs crunchbang

0day

What is the difference between vsido and vsido raptor? are lighter crunchbang?

VastOne

Applications are the difference between them all

VSIDO now has only on DE (FluxBox)... earlier versions had 4 (OB, i3 and Xfce)

VSIDO now has 99% of the cruft on any install removed

VSIDO is sid, #! is not
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

And yes its absolutely lighter than Crunchbang.

Depending on your hardware the 32 bit install boots somewhere in the range of 85mb memory usage and the 64 bit about 150mb memory usage.
Add in nvidia/ati drivers, conky configs and everything else that I need started and I boot to about 350mb memory usage with a full KDE install where as with #! I was around 500mb running Openbox.

A few reasons for this would be the decision to use Fluxbox vs Openbox and lxpanel vs tint2. Crunchbang is a great  distro but the term "light" gets misused in that case. Although it is without a doubt a minimalist distro I would not in anyway call it a "light" distro.
Don't Be A Dick!

GergoE

I used Crunchbang for one and half years and all this time it was booting to cca. 110 MBs  on my 32 bit machine. (Standard OB + tint2 panel.) I have to suppose you must have done something rather special to fatten this to 500.
Since then I tried setups that let me choose between OB (with tint2 or xfce4 panel) and Fluxbox (with its own panel) during login, under Vsido and LinuxBBQ. The usual difference is cca. 30 MB, so my experience is that FB is ligther indeed, but not that much.