Applications For Addition to ISO Suggestion Box

VastOne

This is a thread to discuss individual apps that 'should' or 'could' be added to the application base

We have a really good base of apps that have hit the spot for a lot of people...

Occasionally we all run across something that is really good and should be considered for VSIDO.  The only requirements I will have is that it is light on dependencies and size

I'll start with one that I have known about and used forever... Grsync

It is light (200k) and is a gui frontend for rsync.  I use it all the time and I nominate it as a VSIDO default application
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

hakerdefo

Please replace UMPlayer with SMPlayer. SMPlayer is more actively developed. Also include smtube with SMPlayer.
Now I'm gonna throw the kitchen-sink here  ;)
I'll limit the kitchen-sink to only ten entries cause it can go forever otherwise  ;)
http://byobu.co/
https://github.com/nicolargo/glances
http://www.claws-mail.org/
http://meldmerge.org/
http://fatrat.dolezel.info/
http://www.twotoasts.de/index.php/catfish/
http://www.weechat.org/about/features/
http://aria2.sourceforge.net/
http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/
http://ok100.github.io/lyvi/
Cheers.
You Can't Always Git What You Want

Digit

vsido is not a "kitchen sink included" type of distro, and i hope it never becomes that... unless we're talking "kitchen sink" in the way the people of the "tiny house" movement think of a kitchen sink.  (sometimes that's just a tub that collects rainwater, a filter, a tube, a clasp to pinch it off, and a bowl/bucket.)

... cos it's lightweight n minimal.

umplayer is, and feels, a lot smaller and lighter than smplayer.  i havnt actually checked the numbers, but i'm pretty confident smplayer will look like an utter fatty by comparison.
The only requirements I will have is that it is light on dependencies and size
simples.

as for the list...  [edit](awesome as it is)[/edit]  eesh.
maybe it'd help if you had seen this word in the initial post too.. ;)
discussion

i was going to go look into each of those n find out what the ones i dont know are... but that just feels like too much obligation imposition.  XD

having spoken with VastOne regarding his intent for this thread before he split it, i want to add my own little bit about it...

when suggesting something here, please try to think what's great for vsido... not just what you want.  remember, we all have different tastes and use cases.  what vsido is ootb, is a great starting place, convenient, and needing less effort for tinkerers who like to make it their own, and less things needed to install for those who want it ootb, and less things needed to be uninstalled or replaced by those with different tastes in applications for tasks that vsido already has an app for.

vsido hakerdefo-savant (aka vsido3) has been stripped down from vsido raptor (aka vsido 2).  the focus is very much back to as it was in the beginnings, and i dare say a much tighter and stringent focus than even then, having reeled things in from all the stuff debian wanted to bloat it up with its creeping deps during raptor's development.  this crsip clarity, crystal thinking, coherent "just enough, but comfortable" design is likely what's been getting vsido great reviews.  if you want everything and the kitchen sink, i hear there ar other sid based distros that do that.   if you want vsido-your-way, you might even want to consider just making your own sid install... or remastering vsido.  :)

i think, what this thread is about, is not a free for all where we all say what packages we want ootb, because we install those package after a fresh vsido install (there's a thread for that now http://vsido.org/index.php?topic=668.0 and it too will of course present ideas for this thread too, as well as spiral off other ideas and innovations through the sharing), this thread though, is to more rigorously discuss and consider apps on a more individual basis.  a big list only opens up a can of worms that leaves us in a muddled mess with less chance of clarity or thoroughness.

having said all that, i realise that likely comes across as a heavy handed bitchslap to hakerdefo...  very, very sorry. i didnt mean it like that.  just wanted to help steer this thread where i got the impression it was intended.

also, i add, i just took that upon myself to write all that... vasty might come along in a mo and say "no you doofus", in which case i humbly appologise for the affront, and making such a twatt of myself for nothing.

Digit

grsync... how big is it?  how much use is it?  how much of a convenience and feature-boost does it confer?

oh, 162kb. 

* Digit installs and runs first time straight away with a simple "agi grsync && grsync" and his jaw drops.

quick, intuitive, feature complete [edit](for the rsync basics at least)[/edit](i like the sessions menu, if it means what i think it means), un-obfuscated... good call.

VastOne

Thank you Digit for clarifying what this thread is about...

I am glad you installed and used grsync, it really is a killer little app...

There  are those who love rsync from terminal and will look at this and call it bloat... I happen to think it is like a yad front end to an epic tool

Thanks ...

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

BTW...

umplayer is a fork of smplayer

UMPlayer is a media player created by Ori Rejwan, which is actually based on SMPlayer 0.6.9. Most of the umplayer code is smplayer's code. They added some interesting features like skins and youtube and shoutcast support
The youtube support in SMPlayer hasn't been just a copy and paste, it has been improved. The youtube browser is now an independent application, and (on linux) it can be configured to use other players. Some bugs have been fixed and their texts can now be translated into other languages (previously it had hardcoded texts in english).

I dev VSIDO

Digit

i discovered from looking into their respective sizes, it seems umplayer has been brought into the smplayer fold.  http://sourceforge.net/projects/smplayer/files/UMPlayer/0.98.2/

source size of any of them seems to remain consistent at 3.3mb (inc the now standalone-capable http://sourceforge.net/projects/smplayer/files/SMTube/ )

so, there goes both my size concerns, and concerns about loss of the youtube feature.  :)  could have smplayer after all...  tho, um... does that mean we'd need a second 3.3mb of source to get the youtube features in smplayer... or even in smplayer's umplayer? 

additionally, i couldnt see a fair comparison of the old umplayer's project's file size.   no source on sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/umplayer/files/ ), except unless that's what's in that portable .rar, at 15mb, which likely includes much else, presumably several precompiled binaries.

ps, not a fan of the skins umplayer came with in my rpi~
and i hadn't~cant check how it comes in vsido just this moment (still waiting on new pc to get ordered)
the skin deceived me... made me think it was just a lightweight feature-light gui wrapper over mplayer.  now i know its a fork of smplayer, i like that skin even less, just hiding features... i dont like that.  smplayer's controls are quite, quite pleasing, to those of that jetliner cabin disposition.  hehe.  lots to push.  ;)
thnx hakerdefo, wouldnt have learned all this without your suggestion, and thnx vasty, for dropping that little extra information that encouraged me to look past my presumptions.

hakerdefo

Digit said,
Quotehaving said all that, i realise that likely comes across as a heavy handed bitchslap to hakerdefo...
Oh no not at all  :)
Digit said,
Quotevery, very sorry
Now you are offending me. Friends don't say sorry  ;)
I chose the wrong word, 'kitchen-sink'. What I meant by the kitchen-sink is I was suggesting way too many applications.  But I took a careful consideration before suggesting them.
First the SMPlayer vs UMPlayer,
Here's a what they require on 32 bit install
1->SMPlayer
QuoteDepends: mplayer2 | mplayer, libc6 (>= 2.4), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1), libqt4-network (>= 4:4.5.3), libqt4-xml (>= 4:4.5.3), libqtcore4 (>= 4:4.7.0~beta1), libqtgui4 (>= 4:4.8.0), libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.1), zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4)
QuoteInstalled-Size: 3627
2->UMPlayer
Quotelibc6 (>= 2.4), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1), libqt4-network (>= 4:4.5.3), libqt4-xml (>= 4:4.5.3), libqtcore4 (>= 4:4.7.0~beta1), libqtgui4 (>= 4:4.8.0), libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.1), zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4), mplayer-nogui | mplayer
QuoteInstalled-Size: 4908
My only problem with UMPlayer is it is not actively maintained.

VSIDO comes with XChat and here is what it requires,
Quotelibatk1.0-0 (>= 1.12.4), libc6 (>= 2.7), libcairo2 (>= 1.2.4),
         libdbus-1-3 (>= 1.0.2), libdbus-glib-1-2 (>= 0.88), libfontconfig1 (>=
         2.10.0), libfreetype6 (>= 2.2.1), libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0),
         libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.35.9), libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.24.0), libpango-1.0-0 (>=
         1.14.0), libpangocairo-1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0), libpangoft2-1.0-0 (>=
         1.14.0), libperl5.18 (>= 5.18.1), libsexy2 (>= 0.1.8), libssl1.0.0 (>=
         1.0.0), libx11-6, libxml2 (>= 2.6.27), xchat-common (= 2.8.8-7.1)
QuoteInstalled-Size: 859.0 kB
But if you take a look at weechat,
Quotelibc6 (>= 2.15), libcurl3-gnutls (>= 7.16.2), libgcrypt11 (>= 1.5.1),
         libgnutls26 (>= 2.12.17-0), libncursesw5 (>= 5.6+20070908), libtinfo5,
         weechat-core (= 0.4.2-3)
QuoteInstalled-Size: 920.0 kB
And weechat can be extended by it's plugins to support XMPP/Jabber protocol.

wget is great but one look at aria2 and you'll find it is a great and must have application. It supports,
HTTP/HTTPS/FTP/BitTorrent/Metalink/Kitchensink and all it requires is,
Quotelibc-ares2 (>= 1.7.1), libc6 (>= 2.17), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1),
         libgcrypt11 (>= 1.5.1), libgnutls26 (>= 2.12.17-0), libsqlite3-0 (>=
         3.5.9), libstdc++6 (>= 4.8), libxml2 (>= 2.7.4), zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4)

While aria2 supports BitTorrent there is nothing like rtorrent for torrents. Hands down the best torrent client. Start downloading a dozen torrents with rtorrent and check the resource usage. You will be surprised. It consumes very little resources. It depends only on,
Quotelibc6 (>= 2.4), libcurl3 (>= 7.16.3), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1),
         libncursesw5 (>= 5.6+20070908), libsigc++-2.0-0c2a (>= 2.0.2),
         libstdc++6 (>= 4.6), libtinfo5, libtorrent14, libxmlrpc-core-c3

An email client is a must have application for any user. I don't think VSIDO includes any email client in it's default install. And you won't get much lighter and functional email client than claws-mail. Beside email functionality it also has extra features like storage formats, feed reader, calendar management, mail filtering. Dependencies are,
Quotelibarchive13, libassuan0 (>= 2.0.1), libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.12.4), libc6 (>=
         2.15), libcairo2 (>= 1.2.4), libcompfaceg1, libcurl3-gnutls (>=
         7.16.2), libdb5.1, libdbus-1-3 (>= 1.0.2), libdbus-glib-1-2 (>= 0.78),
         libenchant1c2a (>= 1.6.0), libetpan15 (>= 1.0), libexpat1 (>= 2.0.1),
         libfontconfig1 (>= 2.11), libfreetype6 (>= 2.2.1), libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0
         (>= 2.22.0), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.35.9), libgnutls26 (>= 2.12.17-0),
         libgpg-error0 (>= 1.10), libgpgme11 (>= 1.1.2), libgtk2.0-0 (>=
         2.24.0), libice6 (>= 1:1.0.0), libldap-2.4-2 (>= 2.4.7), liblockfile1
         (>= 1.0), libpango-1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0), libpangocairo-1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0),
         libpangoft2-1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0), libpisock9, libsasl2-2 (>= 2.1.24),
         libsm6, xdg-utils
QuoteInstalled-Size: 3,789.0 kB

While you can do with diff and co. most users will enjoy the ease and functionality that meld provides. And it doesn't require much,
Quotepython:any (>= 2.6.6-7~), python-gtk2 (>= 2.14), python-glade2 (>=
         2.14), python-gobject-2 (>= 2.16), patch
QuoteInstalled-Size: 1,877.0 kB

Catfish is the best light weight file searching tool for Linux. And in my opinion a file searching utility is a good addition to VSIDO. It requires,
Quotepython:any (>= 2.6.6-7~), gir1.2-glib-2.0, gir1.2-gtk-3.0,
         gir1.2-pango-1.0, gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0, locate
QuoteInstalled-Size: 817.0 kB

VSIDO attracts many advanced users and most of them will be using either tmux or GNU Screen. Byobu is session-managing wrapper for tmux-SCREEN. It greatly enhances the functionality of  tmux-SCREEN. One go at Byobu and you will be a fan for sure. And it doesn't require much,
Quotedebconf (>= 0.5) | debconf-2.0, gettext-base, python, python-newt (>=
         0.52.2-11), tmux (>= 1.5) | screen, gawk
QuoteInstalled-Size: 587.0 kB

Coming to FatRat it is not in the repos and is not light weight but it is hands down the best download manager for linux. It can also be integrated in almost all major browsers.

Lyvi is also not in the repos but it supports almost every linux audio player and fetches lyrics from over 20 sources. Cool it is  :)

EDIT:
Those cigar smoking cool emoticons in the quotes above are a side effect not intended  8)
Cheers.
You Can't Always Git What You Want

Digit

never show smilies ftw.  ;)

hakerdefo must be from one of those less sensitive places.  sorry for sayin sorry then. ;)   hehehe

QuoteMy only problem with UMPlayer is it is not actively maintained.
yep, while the sourceforge for umplayer itself goes back to 2011, the smplayer's umplayer seems to have its stable release as up to date as smplayer itself.  though it is still a third of year behind smplayer's smtube.

smplayer                                 0.98                    .22013-04-15
umplayer                                 UMPlayer-0.95    2011-05-23
SMTube                                  1.8                      2013-08-07
smplayer's umplayer                  0.98.2                 2013-04-15

.... but, in the unstable dir on sourceforge it seems to be all just windows exe's mostly.

a look on their svn smplayer's subversion [edit](no git?)[/edit] no sign of an umplayer... but there is smtube.  has umplayer project been abandoned/merged?
umplayer's site lists their source dl page as sourceforge...  :/  it also says it was " Last Update: 2013-04-10" (5 days before that sourceforge smplayer site added its latest umplayer) but i couldnt see any downloads more recent than the 2011, let alone any source.  couldnt find any news on there about it either.

kinda leaves me wondering how official the sourceforge for smplayer is  ^_^

i'll spare further rambles about my researches and simply ask this...

what about mpv?
lighter on the deps than mplayer, similar to mplayer2, and much smaller binary (9mb to about 1 and a half~ tho idk how that pans out with deps)
smtube says it works with anything...  if *tests mpv with a youtube url*
reactions:
~oh, it works,
and
~oh!  now i feel silly, there's the interface i had mistaken for umplayer.  sry, i got the two mixed up earlier then.  XD

but... on paper, mpv looks pretty sweet, afaict.
even if i think its overly simplified gui controls overlay is yuck, and that they needn't have bothered, lol

... havnt found ways to fine tune its youtube use yet, like i can with youtube-viewer, though.

worth having a quick perusal of mpv's github's changes page.

apt-get show mpv tells us mpv_0.3.1-dmo1_amd64.deb depends on:
QuoteDepends: libasound2 (>= 1.0.16), libass4 (>= 0.10.1), libavcodec55 (>= 10:2.1.1), libavdevice55 (>= 10:2.1.1), libavfilter3 (>= 10:2.1.1), libavformat55 (>= 10:2.1.1), libavr
esample1 (>= 10:2.1.1), libavutil52 (>= 10:2.1.1), libbluray1 (>= 0.3.0~), libbs2b0, libc6 (>= 2.15), libcaca0 (>= 0.99.beta17-1), libcdio-cdda1 (>= 0.83), libcdio-paranoia1
(>= 0.83), libcdio13 (>= 0.83), libdvdnav4 (>= 4.2.0+20120524), libdvdread4, libenca0 (>= 1.9), libgl1-mesa-glx | libgl1, libguess1, libjack-jackd2-0 (>= 1.9.5~dfsg-14) | lib
jack-0.116, libjpeg8 (>= 8c), liblcms2-2, liblircclient0, liblua5.1-0, libmpg123-0 (>= 1.13.7), libpostproc52 (>= 10:2.1.1), libpulse0 (>= 0.99.1), libquvi7 (>= 0.4.0), libsm
bclient (>= 2:4.0.3+dfsg1), libswscale2 (>= 10:2.1.1), libva-glx1, libva-x11-1 (>> 1.2.0~), libva1 (>> 1.2.0~), libvdpau1 (>= 0.2), libwayland-client0 (>= 1.0.2), libwayland-
cursor0 (>= 1.0.2), libx11-6, libxext6, libxinerama1, libxkbcommon0 (>= 0.2.0), libxss1, libxv1, libxxf86vm1, zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4)
but remember, that's fair to compare to the deps of mplayer/mplayer2, rather than of smplayer/umplayer, which are just wrappers.  looks heavy pile of deps, but under fair comparison, it's really not.

ok, that's enough early morning rambles.  heh.

oh, i will add,
QuoteAn email client is a must have application for any user.
a gross underestimation of how many users live off webmail, and have zero need for an email client.  ;)
also, an email client isnt much use ootb, and requires user-specific configuration.  if you need email, you'll have internet access, and therefor can install your own.   i reckon claws is an excellent choice for adding as an option in the welcome-script.  [edit] ~ which gets me thinkin... maybe the same is true of grsync too?   meh, idk.   maybe not so much.  ~ [/edit]

ps,
searching for mpv skins is not easy, and often disturbing...  search requires a lot of NOT/-
:/  wasnt even really searching for skins... just wanted to know if it could be reskinned.  .... i am not gonna enter "re-skinned" in a search after some of the things i've just seen, and cant un-see.  XD
~update, no mention of skin in their github, presumable if going for mpv, one is stuck with that gui.  ... smplayer still looking strong in that fight.

PackRat

^ I think the smplayer and umplayer projects were merged - recall an anouncement to that effect. I think smplayer started as a fork of umplayer with some added functionality (codecs?) but the devs merged the projects so as not to have the same basic app developed in parallel.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

I have begun the process of removing/replacing umplayer with smplayer because of the merge and development of smplayer

First images are so important... Installing smplayer for the first time and going to fullscreen, the output was multiple jumbled windows... I had seen this in the past and was the reason why I originally shitcanned smplayer.  Knowing it is the same as umplayer, it made no sense... It turns out it has to do with the funky 'themes' that smplayer uses and especially the default theme... once I replaced that with gtk+, it worked just as umplayer did

I can control that on the VSIDO image in an ini... just letting you all know why smplayer lost out and why I kept using umplayer

Now that I know more, I can make the changes... but in reality, no user should have to fix something broken on a first install....

Just telling you where my head was at...

As far as a mail client, that its an individuals need and not a distros need... I depend on email as much if not more than most users and do not use a client... I could make an additional option on vsido-welcome called email tools and add some apps to it if it is necessary

Edit - I will point out that this thread still turned into the other one, and not what I originally hoped for...

I dev VSIDO

Digit

lol.  thought it might.   tbh, i still dont think the intent is clear, or if my input has been in sync with that intent.

VastOne

^ No worries to anyone... I was being snarky this morning... This is all good conversation no matter where it is at and it facilitated change...

Someone recently whispered this to me and I agree with it totally
In my opinion we men when discussing women especially beautiful women and applications especially open source applications tend to be more subjective than objective

None of this is mine, so where it goes is a good thing

I dev VSIDO

jedi

Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

hudson

my two favorite command line programs are locate and tree. I see you have mlocate, so tree would be my suggestion