VSIDO openbox

mrneilypops

Could you do a VSIDO openbox (only) spin?

VastOne

No...   ???

This was only going to be an Xfce spin but I was persuaded to include OB, and I am glad I did

You really do not have anything in OB that is impacted by having Xfce also installed. There are a couple of things that OB uses from Xfce (power management, volume indicator), but these are the same things that CrunchBang uses in a OB only install also

You could remove Xfce if you wanted to and just keep those apps needed.
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Sector11

And I'm the guy that persuaded him to add OB.  ;D

He hates to see a grown man  :'(
Stay Home

falldown

I'm an openbox man myself, but Xfce has grown on me.

Sector11

Funny how things work out.  I used Xfce before OpenBox and I'm now hooked on OB.

BUT, VastOne's VSIDO XFCE4  has made Xfce4 a thing of beauty, of that there is no doubt.
Stay Home

dizzie

Icons scares the shit out of me, so atm i use either or: Openbox / i3.
Even at work: using a old but awesome SGI Indigo, i use Openbox  ;D

Some derp at work saw my desktop and went "Heyyy is that the new windows 8" I swear if i had a blunt object i would've stabbed his face  :o
Reclaim your culture, it's within your reach!

My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | G+ | VSIDO |

Sector11

Quote from: dizzie on January 20, 2013, 07:35:08 PM
Some derp at work saw my desktop and went "Heyyy is that the new windows 8" I swear if i had a blunt object i would've stabbed his face  :o

I would have said:  mumble quietly no! mumble Sexy huh!  AND they finally got rid of the 'registry', 'firewalls', and hey guess what - no viruses.  I LOVE THIS OS!!!!

and laughed as I watched him making a bee-line for the nearest computer store.
Stay Home

jst_joe

Quote from: Sector11 on January 17, 2013, 08:26:59 PM

And I'm glad you did.
Don't get me wrong, I used xubuntu as soon as ubuntu went to gnome3 then unity.
Then I found #! and fell in love with openbox.
It's like a clean slate, you make it your way. IMHO!  ;D
VSIDO
The view's not that bad you just have to punch the knothole out.

Sector11

@ jst_joe - You and followed the same path, but for different reasons.

Ubuntu 7.04 to 8.04 when I switched to Xubuntu because Ubuntu was really slowing down on my P-III with 512MB RAM.

Then I noticed the same thing when Xubuntu hit v9.04 ... really bothered me too, because they claimed it was "light - for older computers" and I loved Xfce over GNOME.

I went distro-hopping, not for testing, but looking for something that would work a little faster.  Imagine my surprise when I installed #! v9.04.1, knowing it was Ubuntu based.

At first I was lost ... installed programs and they weren't in the menus.  Bad menu, bad bad!  What did I do wrong?  It did get easier...  and I got hooked on #! and OpenBox, with a computer upgrade (used parts) from the P-III to an AMD64 single core with 2GB RAM ... I was flying high!

And along comes #! v10 with an Xfce session added - I talked VastOne into trying it.  He loved it.  Somewhere in this happy mess #! switched to Debian "testing" that made me even happier.

CRUNCH! BANG! SCREECH! HALT!  Next version of #! and it was OpenBox only. OH! OH!  VastOne was not happy!  He installed Xfce4 and went to work. Tweaking this, doing that, pulling this out adding that bit  ....

And here we are!

Now Don't get me wrong, I love #! and still do. It's based on "testing" and as solid as a rock, despite what they say.

I've been running SID since I used VastOne's "Yet another Debian Net-install script" and added #! scripts to it.  If #! is the greatest Distro east of the Atlantic, then VSIDO is the greatest little Distro west of the Atlantic.

If someone wants Debian "testing" I recommend #! hands down, without even blinking an eye.

If they want SID ... "Have to heard of VSIDO?"
Stay Home

omns

Quote from: Sector11 on January 17, 2013, 08:26:59 PM

Toughen up VastOne and obliterate OB once and for all :P :)

Sector11

^ Too late, I have three ISO's here  8)

Hey, VastOne, can I ban the guy with the funny blue arrow on his head?  :D
Stay Home

omns

Quote from: Sector11 on January 21, 2013, 06:46:44 PM
Hey, VastOne, can I ban the guy with the funny blue arrow on his head?  :D
lol, give it all you've got ;)

VastOne

And in this corner...  :P

It took a lot of coin to get me to include OB...  :-*

Love the avatar bodhiri!
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Sector11

squinting .... groaning ..... focusing .... letting'er rip .....

Nope, that blue arrow must be some kind of magic.

He untouchable!  Blue Kryptonite maybe?  There is only one other thing to do ...

Hi bodhiri - welcome.  ;D
Stay Home

jst_joe

Quote from: Sector11 on January 21, 2013, 12:00:28 AM
@ jst_joe - You and followed the same path, but for different reasons.

Ubuntu 7.04 to 8.04 when I switched to Xubuntu because Ubuntu was really slowing down on my P-III with 512MB RAM.

Then I noticed the same thing when Xubuntu hit v9.04 ... really bothered me too, because they claimed it was "light - for older computers" and I loved Xfce over GNOME.

I went distro-hopping, not for testing, but looking for something that would work a little faster.  Imagine my surprise when I installed #! v9.04.1, knowing it was Ubuntu based.

At first I was lost ... installed programs and they weren't in the menus.  Bad menu, bad bad!  What did I do wrong?  It did get easier...  and I got hooked on #! and OpenBox, with a computer upgrade (used parts) from the P-III to an AMD64 single core with 2GB RAM ... I was flying high!

And along comes #! v10 with an Xfce session added - I talked VastOne into trying it.  He loved it.  Somewhere in this happy mess #! switched to Debian "testing" that made me even happier.

CRUNCH! BANG! SCREECH! HALT!  Next version of #! and it was OpenBox only. OH! OH!  VastOne was not happy!  He installed Xfce4 and went to work. Tweaking this, doing that, pulling this out adding that bit  ....

And here we are!

Now Don't get me wrong, I love #! and still do. It's based on "testing" and as solid as a rock, despite what they say.

I've been running SID since I used VastOne's "Yet another Debian Net-install script" and added #! scripts to it.  If #! is the greatest Distro east of the Atlantic, then VSIDO is the greatest little Distro west of the Atlantic.

If someone wants Debian "testing" I recommend #! hands down, without even blinking an eye.

If they want SID ... "Have to heard of VSIDO?"

Very different reasons!
However your point is excellent and well taken.
Funny though I was working on a Windows puter today for a customer and kept right clicking on the desktop...
WTF: "Where's the menu?"  :D
VSIDO
The view's not that bad you just have to punch the knothole out.