VSIDO openbox

omns

Quote from: Sector11 on January 25, 2013, 03:16:43 AM
And as I read your comment, I heard Mr Nimzicki of ID4 saying, "Uh... Mr. President. That's not entirely accurate."
Yeah, it went through my mind as I wrote it :) I also fixed up your quote in my post.

Sector11

Thanks bodhiri.

Got it now.
Stay Home

Sector11

@ bodhiri

I'd say great minds think alike but Nimzicki wasn't playing with a full deck.
My humble opinion!

And sometime I wonder about me too!  :D  :D  :D
naaaaaaaa ... I got 54 cards! I'm  8)

Stay Home

dizzie

VastOne, only one issue  ???

You been cheating on me!  :P
Reclaim your culture, it's within your reach!

My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | G+ | VSIDO |

ozitraveller

Quote from: Sector11 on January 21, 2013, 12:00:28 AM
@ jst_joe - You and followed the same path, but for different reasons.

Ubuntu 7.04 to 8.04 when I switched to Xubuntu because Ubuntu was really slowing down on my P-III with 512MB RAM.

Then I noticed the same thing when Xubuntu hit v9.04 ... really bothered me too, because they claimed it was "light - for older computers" and I loved Xfce over GNOME.

I went distro-hopping, not for testing, but looking for something that would work a little faster.  Imagine my surprise when I installed #! v9.04.1, knowing it was Ubuntu based.

At first I was lost ... installed programs and they weren't in the menus.  Bad menu, bad bad!  What did I do wrong?  It did get easier...  and I got hooked on #! and OpenBox, with a computer upgrade (used parts) from the P-III to an AMD64 single core with 2GB RAM ... I was flying high!

And along comes #! v10 with an Xfce session added - I talked VastOne into trying it.  He loved it.  Somewhere in this happy mess #! switched to Debian "testing" that made me even happier.

CRUNCH! BANG! SCREECH! HALT!  Next version of #! and it was OpenBox only. OH! OH!  VastOne was not happy!  He installed Xfce4 and went to work. Tweaking this, doing that, pulling this out adding that bit  ....

And here we are!

Now Don't get me wrong, I love #! and still do. It's based on "testing" and as solid as a rock, despite what they say.

I've been running SID since I used VastOne's "Yet another Debian Net-install script" and added #! scripts to it.  If #! is the greatest Distro east of the Atlantic, then VSIDO is the greatest little Distro west of the Atlantic.

If someone wants Debian "testing" I recommend #! hands down, without even blinking an eye.

If they want SID ... "Have to heard of VSIDO?"

@Sector11
OMG we're twins  :o  Same life experience......

Could I get VSIDO on my 7" tablet??

VastOne

VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

ozitraveller

Quote from: VastOne on February 19, 2013, 10:26:29 PM
If it is 64 bit...  ;)

haha that was quicker that I thought you'd reply!!! :) And shorter too!!!

I'd be interested to know how you put all this together, but I'm quite sure you haven't any time to write it down. I am curious though...

VastOne

Actually, I had every thing I wanted for quite a long time and kept trying to use debian live forever... Finally realized that the debian installer would not work on SID which was my objective.. About 4 months ago, remastersys delivered a functional wheezy based app that worked great on SID and had a fully functional and blazing fast installer built into it.  It is not as glamorous or has as many options as Debian's installer or partman, but it does get the job done.. It also was capable of using the xz compression on the kernel for the first time which greatly reduced the size of the ISO

Once I had that, it took me another month or so to really get the ISO size down by eliminating some of the cruft debian installs that is not needed...

From there it has been a tweak here and a tweak there, a couple of mistakes, a couple of rejects, and the realization that two of kernels I started with Liquorix and Siduction was overkill and too much to support... (but easy to get)... and here we are...

Remastersys is loaded with everything I used to create VSIDO on every install... I also have a 2.5 gig fsarchive of the actual stripped down file system if you want it ... It is completely functional... If you were to use Remastersys on a new install, you would need to use bleachbit root and localepurge to really get the size down...

Was that enough from my poor old foggy memory?

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Of course the most important part is having /etc/skel setup with all the configs so it brings what you want the desktop to be in the end... It really was not much different than setting up a normal OB and Xfce session to what you (me) use and taking out your personal parts of it...

I dev VSIDO

ozitraveller

Thanks VastOne that's awesome  :) Hopefully this will be a better way than maintaining a script.

VastOne

Oh hell yes...  :)  A lot easier to see and maintain the changes and keep the script out of hands that may not understand it...  ???

I dev VSIDO

ozitraveller

Excellent that's for me then. ;)

ozitraveller

Do you maintain a separate build box or do you just do everything off your regular desktop?

VastOne

I have several partitions that are all the same on 3 different machines that I use as my build boxes..  Were you referring to an online buildbox?

I dev VSIDO

ozitraveller

Quote from: VastOne on February 20, 2013, 12:01:40 AM
I have several partitions that are all the same on 3 different machines that I use as my build boxes..  Were you referring to an online buildbox?

I think that answers my question, you have a separate build environment.