VSIDO III codename savant-hakerdefo released

VastOne

After several months of thought and discussions on the direction of VSIDO, I am happy to announce the release of VSIDO III Codename savant-hakerdefo

The changes are extreme but minimal at the same time.  Over the last year I have had a lot of great input from several users and have molded that into this release

VSIDO III is a single DE model with FluxBox as the Windows Manager. FluxBox offers ease of use and looks great.  It has a simple editor to add anything to the menu and for new users, it is intuitive

The base applications have not changed and additional things have been added to vsido-welcome (zenity, geany).  The size VSIDO III is 412 MB, the smallest ever and remains a fully functional SID works out of the box distro

VSIDO Raptor II ISO's will always be available for download (both x64 and x32), but no longer maintained

Both the 32 and 64 bit ISO's and torrents can be download from the VSIDO Download page
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

mrneilypops

Great news VastOne!
Downloading now and looking forward to giving it a spin...

VastOne

Thanks mrneilypops, I appreciate it..  8)

I am excited about this ... a year of listening and monitoring has led to a polished release IMO

I dev VSIDO

mrneilypops

VSIDO III boots nice and fast on the live cd.
Yeh...I boot to the native 1920x1080 res. with my GeForce GT 610 nvidia card  8) (rare with a lot of current live cd's)
Love the VSIDO logo incorporated into Iceweasel...net working out of the box...

Great work...no more time now...look forward to an install...

VastOne

The 32 bit version of VSIDO III is now available

The 32 and 64 bit ISO's and torrents can be downloaded from the VSIDO Download page

I dev VSIDO

zbreaker

YES..thanks VastOne..my 32 bit addiction cannot be overcome. Despite my advanced hardware (and age  ;D) I've an occasional addiction to wine and retro
games. Will be checking this out presently.

hakerdefo

As promised I installed and tested VSIDO III and most things worked perfectly but as with any creation there were a few niggles and I'm gonna list them so VastOne can iron-out these niggles in the future builds,
SpaceFM failed to mount NTFS partitions. Here's the exact error,

(gksudo:3964): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_str_has_prefix: assertion `str != NULL' failed

I think it is because of some missing dependency. On the other hand Disk Manager mounts these partitions without a problem. And after that accesing-reading-writing via SpaceFM is possible.
If you try to open a file from 'Medit' the file selection window opens with way too much zoom. I can't see the top, bottom and side panes on my 1024*768 screen. Interestingly if I run Medit with 'gksudo' then everything works as expected. File selection window opens with normal size and I can select and open files.
Another strange thing was that UMPlayer failed to play any video files. Neither from it's 'Open' file nor from the context menu of SpaceFM. Running UMPlayer from terminal and then opening a video file didn't show any messages in terminal but video didn't play. I tried several video formats but the same result. Nothing happened. I tried changing the 'Video Output' and provided the full path to the 'mplayer' binary but nothing changed. Interestingly I was able to play all the video files with mplayer from terminal without a problem.
Lastly it would be nice aesthetically if the 'Install VSIDO' is automatically removed from the menu after installation.
Cheers.
You Can't Always Git What You Want

VastOne

Hey hakerdefo... I knew there would be things I missed...  ???

Thanks for the input, these led to the following:

1: The gksudo issue I cannot reproduce since I do not have a ntfs device.  I suggest going to SpaceFM Preferences / Advanced and changing the Graphical SU to gksu to see if that makes a difference.  The only dependency for ntfs that SpaceFM has is ntfs-3g and it is obviously installed

2: I have corrected the open file size by adding it to /etc/skel/.config/gtk-2.0/gtkfilechooser.ini with these settings:

[Filechooser Settings]
LocationMode=path-bar
ShowHidden=true
ShowSizeColumn=true
GeometryX=95
GeometryY=175
GeometryWidth=750
GeometryHeight=520
SortColumn=name
SortOrder=ascending
StartupMode=recent

Anyone needing that can copy those settings to /home/yourusername/.config/gtk-2.0/gtkfilechooser.ini

3: Issue resolved by installing mplayer.  What UMPlayer needed was not installed.  Verifying this also led to the latest version of UMPlayer and making sure libflashplayer.so was also installed for Iceweasel web video play (it was not installed or setup) ... You will need to download the 32 or 64bit version from Adobe and put libflashplayer.so in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

4: I can look into it.. It is a menu item that is easily removed by the user. If I find a simple way I will do it

Thanks a lot hakerdefo

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Just resolved # 4...

On the next releases of the ISO, the VSIDO Installer icons will no longer be on the FLuxBox menu

Thanks hakerdefo for the kick in the arse

I dev VSIDO

hakerdefo

Quote from: VastOne on December 12, 2013, 08:13:57 PM
...Issue resolved by installing mplayer...
But I was able to play Videos running mplayer from terminal so mplayer for sure was already installed.
...I suggest going to SpaceFM Preferences / Advanced and changing the Graphical SU to gksu to see if that makes a difference.  The only dependency for ntfs that SpaceFM has is ntfs-3g and it is obviously installed...
Will try this and let you know.
...I have corrected the open file size by adding it to /etc/skel/.config/gtk-2.0/gtkfilechooser.ini with these settings:
[Filechooser Settings]
LocationMode=path-bar
ShowHidden=true
ShowSizeColumn=true
GeometryX=95
GeometryY=175
GeometryWidth=750
GeometryHeight=520
SortColumn=name
SortOrder=ascending
StartupMode=recent

Anyone needing that can copy those settings to /home/yourusername/.config/gtk-2.0/gtkfilechooser.ini...
Okay, That's great.
Quote from: VastOne on December 13, 2013, 01:07:58 AM
...On the next releases of the ISO, the VSIDO Installer icons will no longer be on the FLuxBox menu...
Cool.
Quote from: VastOne on December 13, 2013, 01:07:58 AM
...Thanks hakerdefo for the kick in the arse...
Whenever someone decides to give Debian Sid a go, The first thing to come to that person's mind should be 'VSIDO'. This should be your goal my friend and perfection is the biggest stepping stone towards that goal.
Cheers.

VastOne

Thanks hakerdefo

You were able to play because mplayer2 was installed and symlinked to mplayer.  I am not sure why UMPlayer does not see the symlink.  There is also smplayer, which is a fork of mplayer with more features.  I will test both of these before the next build and get this right.  Sound and video was (and is) working fine before mplayer was installed, but that added 11 MiB to the size of the ISO... I will let you know

I did see that error message one time (the gksudo glib message), but it was because I entered an incorrect command while testing something else, that appears to be a generic message

Thanks!

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

I resolved this with the mplayer2 settings. The issue was a configuration problem in UMplayer that was not correct.  Once I corrected it, I made that part of /etc/skel so that the correct configuration is now loaded for UMplayer for every user

I was also able to get rid of more than 30 MiB of dependency space chewed up by mplayer

The next 64 bit ISO release will be a svelte 397 MiB....

I dev VSIDO

zbreaker

VastOne

Thanks... getting even leaner

Now down to 385!!  ???

I dev VSIDO

hakerdefo

I suggest going to SpaceFM Preferences / Advanced and changing the Graphical SU to gksu to see if that makes a difference.
It did. Changing it to gksu solved the problem. Thanks.