Why not concetrate on one DE-WM as default base for VSIDO

hakerdefo

Well first-up congrats on a very good sid based distro. I know it's a labor of love fulfilled for VastOne and company.
A confession, I'm neither a VSIDO nor a CrunchBang user but I learned a lot from reading those great discussions in CrunchBang forums.
Yesterday I gave a spin  to the 32 bit version of VSIDO. And I couldn't help notice one thing. While it's good but I think there are areas that can be improved. For example some application icons were missing in the live XFCE session, A couple of applications didn't run in Openbox session, I was unable to restart the machine from display manager login screen etc. etc..
These are by no means critical bugs but I felt that it would be better if VSIDO devs concentrate on providing only one DE-WM instead of four. This way they will have to worry about a few things less, They will be able to concentrate and work on one and only one thing and the result will be a much more polished VSIDO. Ad the resulting ISO image will also be lighter.
Wishing you guys all the luck for the future. Keep the VISIDO rolling.
Cheers.
You Can't Always Git What You Want

VastOne

Welcome to VSIDO and our little community hakerdefo, we are glad you are here

The feedback is excellent and I appreciate it... I have discussed going to a FluxBox only WM for VSIDO and still see that as the best direction to go

As a matter of fact, based on your suggestions, I just built a FluxBox only ISO and after removing i3, OB and Xfce, it is not at all any smaller that the others

You stated that you chose the 32 bit ISO, why was that decision made?  I am considering also to eliminate the 32 bit and only focus on a x64 FluxBox only release

Thanks!
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

hakerdefo

You are right, Removing the other three sessions woudn't alter the resulting ISO size significantly.
Why I chose 32 bit? Well It's something I do on reflex. If 32 bit is available I always go for it. No scientific reason. Dropping it won't be a bad idea.
And honestly Fluxbox was the most polished among four live sessions. Keeping it as the default is perfect as it is light weight compared to Xfce, more user friendly than i3, looks better than Openbox out-of-box.
And one thing I forgot to mention, VSIDO comes with the best default application set, No other distro that I have tested or am aware of comes anyway close to VSIDO on this.
Cheers.

VastOne

Quote from: hakerdefo on December 08, 2013, 06:17:48 AM
And one thing I forgot to mention, VSIDO comes with the best default application set, No other distro that I have tested or am aware of comes anyway close to VSIDO on this.
Cheers.

Wow, that is a huge statement hakerdefo, I really appreciate it...

Now, just for you (and anyone else who will test it) here is a
link to the future of VSIDO Codename: Savant-hakerdefo

411 MiB full version of VSIDO III

I dev VSIDO

hakerdefo

Quote from: VastOne on December 09, 2013, 04:41:05 AM
Wow, that is a huge statement hakerdefo, I really appreciate it...
GMusicBrowser, SpaceFM, UMPlayer, FileZilla, Xchat, Geany, Medit, WICD and the list can go on. These applications are amongst the best in their respective categories. Hands down the best selection I've seen. Period.
Quote from: VastOne on December 09, 2013, 04:41:05 AM
Now, just for you (and anyone else who will test it) here is a
link to the future of VSIDO Codename: Savant-hakerdefo

411 MiB full version of VSIDO III

Codename: Savant-hakerdefo  :)  That's cool. I'm honored. Will give it a good go as soon as possible and report back.
Cheers.

VastOne

I dev VSIDO