inxi root requirement

VastOne

OK, what is it that you want archey to do at the end of bashrc? For what reason?

I need your thought process on this one
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

jedi

Not a thing actually.  It's there because I thought it had to be in order for terminal to display the pretty debian graphic with the sys info stuff...
I can definitely remove it if you want me to test or something...
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

VastOne

All you have to do is run archey from terminal to get it to run...

Yes, having it there has an impact on .bashrc and I would remove it

Now, to solve this, I can add a startup function in Xfce to run

export PATH="$PATH:/sbin:/bin"

on login

One other thing I would like confirmed is whether or not this command is needed after one time being run.. Meaning does a shutdown and restart keep this

And it still makes no sense at all why adding something that is already there is needed to be added again

I dev VSIDO

jedi

jed@jedsdesk:~$ export PATH="$PATH:/sbin:/bin"
jed@jedsdesk:~$ inxi -F
Error No: 1 - You must be root to run this script!
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

jedi

also, that is after removing archey from .bashrc
Forum Netiquette

Sector11

@ vastOne

Did you see my post #23 in this thread?
I reinstalled VSIDO and ran the test you wanted.  I am getting "root" requirement in both XFCE4 and OB on a fresh install.

Fresh install: XFCE4
bash: /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/home/sector11/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/home/sector11/bin: No such file or directory

Fresh install: OB
bash: /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/home/sector11/bin: No such file or directory

here:
Quotebash: /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games:/home/sector11/bin: No such file or directory

something strange with the path in the fresh install on the XFCE4 side of the house!

BINGO!

Look here:
/home/sector11/bin/inxi

Looks at the sizes:

Stay Home

jedi

A shutdown and restart does indeed keep it!  Runs fine for me...
Forum Netiquette

VastOne

I did see all posts related to this...

I am getting more and more confused by the minute.

Is it working, is it not working?

@Sector11 ... If you run this

/usr/local/bin/inxi -F

or this in either Xfce or OB

/usr/sbin/inxi -F

it does run fine without root.. It is not a size issue or anything missing... For whatever as yet to be resolved reasons, a full path is needed for it to run

I dev VSIDO

falldown

Ok in xcfe to run inxi I had to sudo it.

VastOne gave this code..

So I followed direction and
falldown@VAIO:~$ export PATH="$PATH:/sbin:/bin"
falldown@VAIO:~$ inxi
Resuming in non X mode: glxinfo not found. For package install advice run: inxi --recommends
CPU~Dual core Intel Core2 Duo CPU T8100 (-MCP-) clocked at 1200.000 Mhz Kernel~3.7.0-1.dmz.6-liquorix-amd64 x86_64 Up~6 min Mem~362.8/3951.6MB HDD~320.1GB(37.8% used) Procs~127 Client~Shell inxi~1.8.27 

So now sudo is not needed..
falldown@VAIO:~$ inxi
Resuming in non X mode: glxinfo not found. For package install advice run: inxi --recommends
CPU~Dual core Intel Core2 Duo CPU T8100 (-MCP-) clocked at 1200.000 Mhz Kernel~3.7.0-1.dmz.6-liquorix-amd64 x86_64 Up~9 min Mem~401.6/3951.6MB HDD~320.1GB(37.8% used) Procs~127 Client~Shell inxi~1.8.27 

and sudo is not needed on restart.

VastOne

I will add this as a Xfce startup variable to be run one time

Unless someone can solve why it is not running already from the .bashrc variable that is already in place

I dev VSIDO

Sector11

^^^ OK I see what you mean - this is my default system where a simple "inxi" in a terminal works:
sector11 @ sector11
18 Jan 13 | 17:37:25 ~
         $ /usr/local/bin/inxi -F
bash: /usr/local/bin/inxi: No such file or directory
sector11 @ sector11
18 Jan 13 | 17:37:27 ~
         $ /usr/sbin/inxi -F
Error No: 1 - You must be root to run this script!
sector11 @ sector11
18 Jan 13 | 17:38:03 ~
         $ inxi -F
System:    Host: sector11 Kernel: 3.7.0-2.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit)
--- and more

When I first got it I saw it was a bash script, I never thought about it twice, I put it in ~/bin where I own it and have never had a problem with it.

That's why it works for me. I kISS'ed it (Keep It Stupidly Simple)

Since VSIDO has a ~/bin installed by default and is in your path on the fresh install I just did, why not put inxi in there and eliminate all problems in the future?
Stay Home

Sector11

^ ^ @ VastOne

That fixes XFCE4 but what about OB?
It did not work in either on my Fresh install an hour or so ago.
Stay Home

VastOne

Because both /usr/local/bin and /usr/sbin are also in the path by default

I also want to keep it in it's default place so that when there are updates to it there will not be any issues

I have not had any issues with /usr/local/bin which is where I store everything else.  So this is more to do with the syntax in the .bashrc than anything IMO

I just need to look at it closer and figure out what is going on

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

So far, you are the only one who has said it does not work in OB.

This variable works across both platforms

Meaning that when you run it in Xfce it works in OB and vice versa, it is debian specific not WM specific

Can anybody else confirm this, that it is not working in OB?

I dev VSIDO

Sector11

^ I'm going to reboot to the fresh install ... be right back.
Stay Home