VastOne

For those (sadists) who wanted it, a VSIDO KDE build

Comes in at a massive 933 MiB!!!

Nothing done to it, just a KDE-Full install from SID
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

zbreaker

And I do indeed enjoy pain........

This is very cool. It will make for a fun filled afternoon with a few cold IPA's this holiday weekend 8)

jedi

hmm, Guess I'm a sadist!  Dl'ing now and will keep it next to my Fluxbox only ISO that I still have!  Thanks for the effort!
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

zbreaker

Couldn't resist a quick install this evening.............

dizzie

What sorcery is this ?  ;D

KDE? Whats next, Gnome 3 ?  8)

Nice idea though :)
Reclaim your culture, it's within your reach!

My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | G+ | VSIDO |

blaze

Very cool VastOne! Once upon a time... I really wanted to love kde and I have tried... but for those of you who dare to try it out, please share the result!
blazingaway

zbreaker

Quote from: dizzie on November 28, 2013, 07:02:41 AM
What sorcery is this ?  ;D

KDE? Whats next, Gnome 3 ?  8)

Nice idea though :)

Actually, given the default applications in VSIDO Gnome 3 would actually be a more suitable option. Not that I would look for it to
be created. Never really cared for Gnome 3. Got on well with Gnome 2 in the day. Also I've heard (but never substantiated) that Gnome and sid were not the coziest of bedfellows.

VastOne

The KDE was done just because I got it to work in SID for the first time and to preserve it... :D

I may try a Gnome 3 one... Just to see if it can be done and how much it would add to the ISO size

KDE damn near doubled it   ???

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

There's been a few of us kicking the kde ball around for a while now and have found that for the most part its a totally different d/e than it was say a year or two ago. The problem with gnome 3 is that its (IMO) the same as it was on day one. Big, bloated and exceptionaly slow. Those are three pretty big negatives and then you add that I've yet to get a properly functioning gnome3/cinnamon environment on Sid and my vote would be to avoid the headache.
That being said, ill test and attempt to break anything so bring it on VastOne!

As for the kde image, I ran a swapless install without a single issue at all. Installed systemd and then upgraded to the liquirix kernel and installed nvidia beta via smxi. Boot times to a fully functional kde environment are at about 20 seconds with 3 seconds at the grub screen and a memory usage of about 600mb with two conky configs running at boot.
Don't Be A Dick!

drum

a vsido release with 'mate' as DE would be great 8), just my 2 cents ;)
It's not the software that's free; it's you.

"It does what I expect of it, when I expect it - otherwise, stays out of my way."

PackRat

Quote from: zbreaker on November 29, 2013, 10:00:11 PM
Actually, given the default applications in VSIDO Gnome 3 would actually be a more suitable option. Not that I would look for it to
be created. Never really cared for Gnome 3. Got on well with Gnome 2 in the day. Also I've heard (but never substantiated) that Gnome and sid were not the coziest of bedfellows.

I'll substantiate that one for you; the only time testing or sid has has caused problems on my systems, it was gnome related. It would get fixed in a week or two, but I have to agree with lwfitz, not worth the headache.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

Digit

mate... nice idea, i like.   ... shshsh.  i didnt say that.  ;)  vsido as is, is grand.  ;D

VastOne

VSIDO as is it is then... :D  8)

I dev VSIDO

Digit

could make for an interesting shake-up... like, once a quarter, or so... have one of these oddball releases of vsido.  a mate, an e17, a pekwm, a spectrwm, a i3, a ... whatever, y'know...  the quirkier the better.  a vsido with ude for example... or one with wayland.  XD

VastOne

^ It sounds like fun... and I could but the time it would take may be too much to bite off...

All the tools are there for anyone who would want to take on one...

I dev VSIDO