Iceweasel problem [ SOLVED ]

Gordon

Hi

I have no idea what I have done or if is something else. I can see and use the basic outline of Iceweasel, That is to say I can see file edit etc but when I click on one of them I get the drop down menu OK but all that I can see is the box itself all the writing held within the box itself is invisible until I scroll over it and only then does it become readable. Has anyone any ideas as to what I have done as I have no idea at ll myself ? also the VSIDO web page itself has been altered and become awkward to see and use. I have been trying for ages to sort this out with no luck at all
Cheers :D
Gordon
Gigabyte Motherboard GA-MA69G-S3H , 8 Gb Ram, Realtek RX550 Graphics,  VSIDO

VastOne

Is this the VSIDO Iceweasel?  VSIDO uses a theme called SlicknesS Black which has a fix already enabled in the css file that controls the menu items

As far as the web page, what is it that see that is awkward?  The pages have been the same for quite some time and this is the first I am hearing of someone with issues
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

statmonkey

What version of Iceweasel are you running and what extensions?
I would also install either chromium or midori and see if you have similar issues/I doubt it but that will confirm it is an FF issue.
I do occasionally find that for some goofy reason iceweasel and spacefm loose their ability to display text correctly.  I also find that closing them or even rebooting fixes it.  I also found that running the spacefmd (daemon) seemed to increase these issues frequency. 

If you have done any customizing in the config of iceweasel that would be good to know.

Was this a clean install or did you drag over your previous .mozilla stuff from a prior install?  That also can cause fits.  I at least once had to do a reinstall of iceweasel experimental due to my monkeying/fidgeting with old stuff.

VastOne

^ VSIDO uses the latest from Experimental (Aurora) and is at version 27.0a2 (2013-11-15)...

Good point about copying over a previous profile

Regarding SpaceFM and issues with it's daemon, I am sure IgnorantGuru would like to hear about that... His forum is here

I dev VSIDO

statmonkey

Temporary thread hijack - the discussion re:spacemanfm led to a rant about systemd , udev, sysv.init and changing things just to change them etc. ::)

Gordon

Hi Folks

As far as I am aware I have the latest version of Iceweasel. Yesterday I used SMXI to do a dist-upgrade and installed liquirix latest so I assume that I got all the latest gear. On the other hand will it have anting to do with personas addon. Just thought of that will have to try and uninstall it later just on the way out  now
CHEERS
Gordon

dizzie

By the looks of your signature, i'm asuming you are using Chrunchbang and/or Debian SID.

Sure we're all here to help, and we all put an effort into it too. But.... (I may get slapped for this) IF you are using Chrunchbang and/or Debian SID, and asks for help here, then we can only help with general topics. Asking about a browser and its plugins? Really, why not just use the good old searchengine called Google?

(And no, i'm not grumpy in any way)
Reclaim your culture, it's within your reach!

My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | G+ | VSIDO |

Gordon

Hi dizzie,

Yep I am using Crunchbang Testing And Sid also VSIDO. I posted here as so far I have had no luck finding the answer searching Google or or on #! and VSIDO forums and have been trying to sort it out for about a month now.

I never thought you were grumpy  :D
Gordon

VastOne

I still do not know if this is VSIDO this is happening on, knowing that will definitely make a difference

I am not sure what you mean by 'I used SMXI to do a dist-upgrade and installed liquirix latest so I assume that I got all the latest gear'  SMXI will do a dist-upgrade but that does nothing for the latest Aurora version of Iceweasel that VSIDO uses unless the specific aurora/experimental/mozilla repos are enabled

I dev VSIDO

Gordon

Hi VastOne

Sorry about that, forgot to say that is only happening on VSIDO. Crunchbang is working OK. I have again purged Iceweasel after removing personas and all the other addons but it is just the same. I assume that it stores a profile file somewhere with all the previous settings which it does not remove even when purged as it still remembers all my bookmarks etc when reinstalled. Haven't managed to find that file / folder as yet though so that I can delete it
CHEERS

Gordon

VastOne

No problem Gordon

Iceweasel/FF keeps it's settings in your /home/username/.mozilla directory

If you remove that and restart Iceweasel, you will have a blank setup of Iceweasel

Are you using the same /home directory across all of your installs? In other words, do you have a separate /home area?

I dev VSIDO

Gordon

Hi VastOne

Thanks for that. Everythings back to where it should again.

Both versions of Crunchbang have their own home folder created at the time of installation. VSIDO created its own home folder as  I thought  i would see what happened if I did nothing. Don't know if it matters but it seem to be working OK. Both my Documents and Images have there own drives. My reasoning for that being that when I crashed anything up too badly I could reformat the relative drive and do a fresh install of the system without loosing any of my pics or docs  :)
Gordon

statmonkey

Glad you got it resolved.  I am convinced that it was something residual in your profile either from before or a previous change but I could be wrong.  I don't use persona's very much and do most of my work outside of FF. I only use it for play stuff so can't say I am a guru.  Again, what matters is you got it resolved.