FluxBox Slit

VastOne

I am having an issue with Slit in FluxBox with the lxpanel

As I understand slit, it will recognize a dock item as long as it is labeled as dock within it's configuration, for instance in conky you can put

own_window_type dock

and slit sees it fine in the slit list

However by telling lxpanel that it is a dock, lxpanel never shows up in the slit list (damn that sounds weird)...

Any suggestions?
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

I don't think the ~/.fluxbox/slitlist is autogenerated like the ~/.fluxbox/apps file.

Use xprop to get the window class for lxpanel and edit the slitlist accordingly.

edit - nope, didn't work. I guess that the lxpanel configuration to be "treated as a dock" is different than being a dockable app.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ It does seem to auto-generate... If I have the slit file open and make a change to the conky configurations, it is updated immediately in the file...

I do not know how to use xprop and am off to search on it

Thanks...

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

In a terminal -

xprop

the mouse cursor will become a cross; click on the window you want the properties, the output will be in the original terminal.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ I knew that... damn it has been too long... ::)

The first thing I did (incorrectly) was apt-cache policy xprop... DOH!

Thanks!

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Just saw your edit on it not working... I am finding more and more issues with lxpanel, and frustrations. The very thing that I am trying to correct is actually a setting in lxpanel that is not working

There is a setting... 'Reserve space, and not covered by maximized windows' in lxpanel that is supposed to make 'Once that is checked, any windows created will not be placed under the panel.'

This checked off would give me the behavior I want, which is to allow any window to cover the panel/dock... it simply does not work checking it off.  I saw it work one time and for the life of me I have no idea why it worked then and not since

I wanted to use slit to see it as a dock and keep it under all windows at all times

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

I have both -

make window managers treat the panel as a dock
reserve space and not covered by maximized windows

check and it works - max windows don't cover the panel.

Unchecking just reserve space results in a maximized window going behind the panel; unchecking just the dock option and space is still reserved.

I suspect that the reserved space option is a strut policy only - I have no idea what the difference between strut policy, dock - and apparently dockable - could be.

edit -

This is the goal -

Quotewould give me the behavior I want, which is to allow any window to cover the panel/dock.

one solution - apparently, lxpanel is coded to open in a window manager's (fluxbox anyway) top layer. You can edit the ~/.fluxbox/apps file (in your editor of choice since lxpanel does not have the window menu) and add something like -

[app] (name=panel) (class=lxpanel)
  [Layer]  {8}
[end]

the name and class I got from xprop; fluxbox layers are:

2 - Above Dock

4 - Dock

6 - Top

8 - Normal

10 - Bottom

12 - Desktop

put lxpanel on layer 8, 10, 12 to have it covered by maximized windows.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ I agree and it should work as advertised...

Both Jedi and I have had this same issue...

Here is a scrot that shoes the settings as correct and that it is not working... I have the browser pulled down below and it is under the panel

What version of lxpanel are you using?  VSIDO or another version?

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

lxpanel version 0.6.1 - compiled from source.

actually using debian testing on my laptop as we type; seriously borked my vsido install the other day and haven't reinstalled.

edit - off to bed; best of luck amigo.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

I thought that might be the case...

Do you have a link for the source you used?

I will compile it and use in on VSIDO

OMG, he borked VSIDO!!!!    :'(

How?

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Found it...

Get some sleep mate...

Thanks for all this help!

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Installed 6.1 and this issue is not resolved

Still doing the same behavior

If I understand that setting correctly, having it checked means it will stay above all and having it unchecked means it will stay below any window...

Think I will just go back to Tint2

Thanks PackRat   8)

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

That is how I interpret it - lxpanel is set either above or below other windows.

Have you checked lxpanel behavior with openbox?
edit - tried with openbox, same behavior.

Tinkering with it last night (see edited post above) it appears that lxpanel resides in Layer 6 or higher with fluxbox and that fluxbox is controlling the strut policy. I actually ran into something similar relating to how fluxbox deals with window assignments (a conky with compton issue). Setting the layer for lxpanel in the apps file appears to get you where you want to go.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

Quote from: PackRat on November 05, 2013, 03:47:41 AM

This is the goal -

Quotewould give me the behavior I want, which is to allow any window to cover the panel/dock.

one solution - apparently, lxpanel is coded to open in a window manager's (fluxbox anyway) top layer. You can edit the ~/.fluxbox/apps file (in your editor of choice since lxpanel does not have the window menu) and add something like -

[Layer]  {8}
[end]

the name and class I got from xprop; fluxbox layers are:

2 - Above Dock

4 - Dock

6 - Top

8 - Normal

10 - Bottom

12 - Desktop

put lxpanel on layer 8, 10, 12 to have it covered by maximized windows.

Absolute genius!  Thanks so much PackRat!

I added this to ~/.fluxbox/apps

[Layer]  {8}
[end]

and restarted FluxBox and it works perfectly... Now I can say I am absolutely thrilled with lxpanel

I will make this the default behavior in VSIDO from this point forward

Thanks so much sir!

I dev VSIDO

ew

Nice that you got it as you wanted it too. I have another project, and are stopped by the fact that Fluxbox doesn`t treat lxpanel as a dock, even if I`ve set it to do just that. The slit doesn`t pick it up, regardless how I position it. But the slit works fine with Conky. Anyway, the slit couldn`t have solved it for me, because I can`t put both lxpanel and conky in it at the same time. So I got to find another solution. Turns out it isn`t as easy as I`ve thought. I`ve googled a lot and been at arch and many other forums, but it doesn`t seem that anyone has a solution for me. I know I can do it in openbox with tint2. The tint2-taskbar remains visible when you use "ToggleShowDesktop", so perhaps I could try a lxpanel in openbox to see if openbox respects the lxpanel as a dock, or alternatively try tint2-panel in fluxbox. It wouldn`t solve it for me, but it would reveal who is to blame, fluxbox or lxpanel :)

OK, I will not mess up my fluxbox-session, so I`m going to test lxpanel in openbox.... At least I know my way around there. So off I go :D

Edit. That was a quick test. Works fine in openbox. Super+d iconifies the windows and shows a clean desktop, but it keeps both the conky and lxpanel up. Not the answer I hoped for, but at least that limits my research to fluxbox. Well, that`ll have to be tomorrow. Hopefully I get a bit more free time to use on linux tomorrow. Nightynight, I`m signing off to sleep a little  :D

-ew
-----------------------------
"What happens when you read some doc and either it doesn't answer your question or is demonstrably wrong? In Linux, you say "Linux sucks" and go read the code. In Windows/Oracle/etc you say "Windows sucks" and start banging your head against the wall."
--- Denis Vlasenko on lkml