VSIDO II feedback...

ew

I installed VSIDO raptor two days ago. The install itself went fine. The installer didn`t recognize my gpt-disk as ususal, but my way of fooling the installer worked this time too. But after running the Welcome-script and the first reboot, it became unbootable. Kernel Panick and warning about init and "conf/conf.d/resume" with unexpected tokens in line 1, and kernel not syncing etc..etc.. I don`t know what caused this. Perhaps that I removed the usb-dummy that I used to fool the installer, without swapping off. When I did that, I got an I/O-error... but didn`t take much notice of it.

Anyway, I decided to do it all over again. Fooled the installer with the usb-dummy and installed swap to the usb. Install went fine, the welcome script and dist-upgrade also went fine. But this time I swapped off before removing the usb-dummy, and then I edited fstab to point swap to the swap-particion on my gpt-disk, which it initially doesn`t recognize. Then I also remembered the init warning from my failed boot, and I installed systemd and edited /etc/default/grub to use it. Well, then I rebooted, and this time it went right up in no time at all. No issues at all, and now I`m enjoying configuring this awesome release. I really really like it, and are especially thrilled about the default session, fluxbox and lxpanel. I hope you stay with fluxbox for a while, because this setup is awesome.

You have done a very good job with this one. It`s awesome, and it feels inventive and different. I haven`t seen anything quite like it. Perhaps because I haven`t used fluxbox that much before, and never together with lxpanel as a dock. Anyway, I really love it. Awesome job!
-ew
-----------------------------
"What happens when you read some doc and either it doesn't answer your question or is demonstrably wrong? In Linux, you say "Linux sucks" and go read the code. In Windows/Oracle/etc you say "Windows sucks" and start banging your head against the wall."
--- Denis Vlasenko on lkml

VastOne

^ Wow... great review and input ew, thank you!

You will be really happy in just a couple of days... A few are testing it now, but I have removed from the installer the need for a swap partition... there will still be a 'need swap' installer for those who want it, but the main installer will only need /root and if you want a separate /home it will do that

I appreciate your support!

Thanks!  8)  ;D
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

ew

Quote from: VastOne on November 05, 2013, 12:12:36 AM
^ Wow... great review and input ew, thank you!

You will be really happy in just a couple of days... A few are testing it now, but I have removed from the installer the need for a swap partition... there will still be a 'need swap' installer for those who want it, but the main installer will only need /root and if you want a separate /home it will do that

I appreciate your support!

Thanks!  8)  ;D

Ok. That will be very nice, even if I`ve worked around it so far, because I can swapoff after I`ve installed it, and comment out swap in fstab and use the partition for something else. But it will of course be a cleaner prosess when this isn`t needed anymore...

A quick question while I have you here  :D I`m working with the fluxbox keys, and figured out how to make a custom desktop-file using "xdotool key Super+d" and add the button to the launcher-bar. In the keys file I used # Show Desktop
Mod4 d :ShowDesktop

This works. It shows the desktop empty. But it shows the desktop below all layers. No dock, no systray, and no conky. Do you know a way to do this, but keep the lx-panel, systray and conky visible... I`m sure I will figure out a way to do this somehow, but if there are a easy way, then that`s of course best. I guess I could test if "own_window_type desktop" instead of "normal" would solve it for Conky, but at the present time I have no idea how to make the dock and the systray visible. But I will find a way, even if I have to make the way myself:)
-ew
"What happens when you read some doc and either it doesn't answer your question or is demonstrably wrong? In Linux, you say "Linux sucks" and go read the code. In Windows/Oracle/etc you say "Windows sucks" and start banging your head against the wall."

VastOne

Hello ew... I am always here.. except when I am golfing.  :P  You can also find me on the IRC ... freenode #VSIDO

Regarding the ShowDesktop ... it specifically states it's function as

ShowDesktop                 # Iconifies all windows of the current workspace

so it is doing what it is supposed to do... I would think you would want this one

Workspace <number>          # Switches to the workspace given by number

and just give it the number of your workspace, which is generally 1

Let me know ... and when you get it done, send all the work you have done to me so I can test it please... We have a FluxBox discussion area, it may be best to do it there

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

ew, use

own_window_type override

for any conky window, or

own_window_type dock

and place conky in the fluxbox slit (dock); then place the slit where you want the conky window to reside - great for single line conkies.

own_window no

would probably work as well since it is open windows getting iconified to show the dsktop.

note that -

own_window_type panel

as a conky configuration does not work in fluxbox.

If you use "own_window_type override" for conky, and then put lxpanel in the slit and configure it be seen as a dock (a box to check in it's configuration) may solve both your issues.

Your system tray will be trickier since it is also being handled by lxpanel and not the fluxbox system tray. Two options come to mind -

1. move the system tray to the lxpanel that has the launcher etc ... and use only one instance of lxpanel. Configure lxpanel to be a dock and have it reside in the fluxbox slit.

2. eliminate the lxapanel that contains the system tray and replace it with the fluxbox toolbar configured to contain only the fluxbox system tray - simple edit of the ~/.fluxbox/init file. The alpha can be set to full transparency, and if you want the toolbar set to autohide. The width can can be configured so it doesn't conflict with the conky.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

@PackRat....

I need to understand Slit more... I just cannot seem to wrap my head around it

Gonna take it to the FB discussion thread

I dev VSIDO

ew

Vastone, sure, I can do that. But it isn`t anything big and revolutionary yet, as I`m all new to fb. Anyway, I`ll get back to you when it`s done. Probably tomorrow, because I have no doubt that I will manage to make this work as I intended, with the tips you gave me. We`ll see what I come up with...., and I`ll take the fb-related issues in the fb-topic.

Packrat, thanks. Will look into it.  Is slit the equivalent to the dock in ob? http://openbox.org/wiki/Image:ObConfDock.png

Anyway, it`s 3 AM here, so I`ll probably hit the sack and continue tomorrow. Otherwise it will become a allnighter, and I`m getting to old for those... LOL
-ew

PackRat

@ew

short answer, yes.

fluxbox -> slit
openbox -> dock
pekwm -> harbour

All are special areas where dockable applications will reside and be anchored in place as well as viewable on all desktops. The slit cannot be moved freely and is not influenced by any manipulation to windows.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

ew

Quote from: PackRat on November 05, 2013, 02:35:53 AM
@ew

short answer, yes.

fluxbox -> slit
openbox -> dock
pekwm -> harbour

All are special areas where dockable applications will reside and be anchored in place as well as viewable on all desktops. The slit cannot be moved freely and is not influenced by any manipulation to windows.

Thanks. The slit solved the conky issue for me. Now it sticks and is visible regardless what I do with all other windows. Awesome, that solved step 1 for me. I havemn`t gotten as far with my project as I hoped, because I`ve been busy all evening with big DIY-projects in the house. The wifey is the boss you know. I`ve been doing it for a month now, but finally I see the end of this tiresome task of pretending to be a handyman :D

I also got another issue, somehow my default xsession had changed to openbox even if I didn`t change anything. I`m not all that into the session-stuff, so it took me a while to solve it, and I`ve also had some wifi issues I needed to fix. Besides that I have changed the font-size in fluxbox and in gtkrc, and being new in FB I didn`t know what controlled what, but I figured it out in the end. And the last thing I did was to adjust the default conky to my system, and what I would like to see in it.

So now the system is pretty much configured as I like it, besides the wallpaper, but I think it`s so cool that I can not make myself change it. Anyway, if  I don`t discover any more small issues that distract me from the project I had planned to do, then I guess I can continue with it. But I`m very easily distracted. Everything has to be perfect. Even the things I don`t use or normally notice. If there is a small issue, I got to fix it. I`m a tiny bit OCD, LOL.
-ew

ew

More feedback. I Installed VSIDO today with the no-swap installer. Worked perfect. Awesome job with the installer :)

Now there are just one thing with the remastersys-installer that I will try to fix for my remaster of other distros. Remove the need to use a different password for the user and root during install, so that the user don`t have to change the user-password after the install is finished. But obviously, this isn`t a big deal. "sudo passwd user" isn`t all that hard to do :)
-ew

VastOne

^ Thanks for the feedback...

I have already eliminated the need for root and user passwords to be different from the current VSIDO remastersys installer..

Are you suggesting that you are still seeing it?

BTW, all VSIDO remastersys files are on every VSIDO install

I dev VSIDO

ew

Quote from: VastOne on November 19, 2013, 01:44:59 AM
^ Thanks for the feedback...

I have already eliminated the need for root and user passwords to be different from the current VSIDO remastersys installer..

Are you suggesting that you are still seeing it?

BTW, all VSIDO remastersys files are on every VSIDO install

Nope. I just used different passwords out of habit, so I didn`t try to use the same passwords. So you fixed this too? Awesome :)

Yes, I see the files and will start the  task of comparing them with the original sources to see what you`ve done. I could just copy yours, but I wouldn`t learn to much that way. But rest assure, your files are securly stored... in case I don`t manage to do it myself :D

I see that you also have fixed the installer so that it adds the user to the "sudo"-group. That was another fix I had planned to do, but you`re obviously way ahead of me :)

I have a big change for the script that some might do at some point, but not me at this stage. Not capable to. It`s about adding the possibily to setup mount of other partitions during the install, also including custom mount points. Like me, who always has a shared data-partition mounted in /media/fileshare. It would be nice to be able to do this during the install. Especially for the unskilled users. But as far as I can see from the current scripts, this seems to be a rather big coding-job. If not, it probably would already have been implemented :)
-ew

VastOne

I do not see the need to create a mount point a big need during the install, in fact I find it more a confusing to a user than anything, especially to a new user

Disk Manager is installed in VSIDO and there is no simpler tool than that to do a one time creation of a mount point and forever forget about it

I will be working on the installer eventually to have it see more things, but for now it is getting the job done quite nicely

I dev VSIDO

ew

Quote from: VastOne on November 19, 2013, 03:07:37 AM
I do not see the need to create a mount point a big need during the install, in fact I find it more a confusing to a user than anything, especially to a new user

Disk Manager is installed in VSIDO and there is no simpler tool than that to do a one time creation of a mount point and forever forget about it

I will be working on the installer eventually to have it see more things, but for now it is getting the job done quite nicely

Yes, it sure is doing the job nicely. As for Disk Manager,  I have to admit that I haven`t tried it. I always need to edit fstab all the time regardless, because I`m multibooting, and most new installs tend to change one or more of my existing uuid`s. For example the uuid of the swap partititon is always changed, so that the other distros no longer boots if swap is mounted in that distro. I have to nano my way to fstab from tty to change the uuid`s. I`m quite used to doing that, so fstab doesn`t scare me that much... And you are probably right. Less options are less confusing for users. I`ve never thought of it that way...

By the way, it looks like it should have been you that forks remastersys, not OS4. Because, nothing much has happened with System Imager.
-ew

jedi

Diskmanager is awesome, and unless your adding stuff to mount to tmpfs, editing fstab is made tedious once you start implementing diskmanager.  I agree that it would probably tend to be more confusing to the new user without the use of diskmanager.  Makes it quick work indeed to set it and forget it with fstab!
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous