burn program

drum

What burnprogram do you recommend in the new fluxbox-edition? I'm totally new with fluxbox and it seems you can run them all like K3B,XFburn, Brasero,... .
Personally i think that xfburn is the best option, what do you think?
It's not the software that's free; it's you.

"It does what I expect of it, when I expect it - otherwise, stays out of my way."

dizzie

xfburn have never failed me :) k3 depends on too much gnome crap  :)
Reclaim your culture, it's within your reach!

My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | G+ | VSIDO |

blaze

xfburn, no doubt, simple and very straight forward to use.
blazingaway

PackRat

xfburn is pretty reliable.

There is also a cdw - it's an ncurses interface like ceni.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

statmonkey

Old Skool I use a couple of scripts, plugged into spacefm and menu which calls either wodim for cd's or growisofs for dvd's. That way I can just right click on the file and it burns it.  I have been meaning to change the right click script so that it identifies whether there is a dvd or cd in the burner but have been too lazy to add the few lines it would take but perhaps this will motivate me. :) I also wrote a little zen script that will allow me to graphically select my folder/iso as well.  This is very reliable and low overhead as long as you install dvd+rw-tools and wodim.

wodim dev=/dev/sr0 -v -data cd_image.iso
growisofs -Z /dev/$dev=$iso   ... etc ...

I haven't burned a coaster in years :) Oops, wish I hadn't said that.

sorry realized I started the below sentence and then got distracted (oops)

I also could recommend bashburn (it's in the repo's) if you don't want to go to the trouble of writing scripts.  The advantage of bb are that they have really included everything and it gives you scripts for almost anything you would ever want to do with a disc, the disadvantage is that you might have to edit a couple of the scripts to burn audio as I remember, which is why I just wrote my own.  iirc it uses a /tmp directory but allows you to simlink in the program on the fly. 

Digit

i'm a wodim man first and foremost, but there are times i've fallen back to a gui to burn.  used to be brasero, but it seemed to be of intermittant reliability.  xfburn is better.  long long ago i was a k3b kind of guy.

if you're lucky, all you'll need to do with wodim is simply:wodim vsido.iso though, if it doesnt like that, you'll likely need to follow its instructions on how to find the drive's device name (seen it be some strange things, like hd4 (?!) and stuff), and how to input it.

didnt know about bashburn, nice!  thnx statmonkey.

statmonkey

I think wodim is a bit finicky of late.  I was playing with it from the command line and found that
wodim -devices
wodim: No such file or directory.
Cannot open SCSI driver!
For possible targets try 'wodim --devices' or 'wodim -scanbus'.
For possible transport specifiers try 'wodim dev=help'.
For IDE/ATAPI devices configuration, see the file README.ATAPI.setup from
the wodim documentation.

Scanbus obviously fails so my disk identification loop no longer works in my zen script, I hardly ever burn a cd but if I want to my script will fail :(.  Bashburn is prepared for this and in fact once the config file is properly setup it does all my original script did and a ton more.  Sooooooo.....as a result of this question being asked I have rediscovered bashburn and replaced my diy model with it.  Thanks to the OP for making me think through what I was doing.

drum

xfburn was already included so for me 'case closed' ;)
vsido really is a great distro
It's not the software that's free; it's you.

"It does what I expect of it, when I expect it - otherwise, stays out of my way."

VastOne

^ Thank you drum, I appreciate that... the people here are what makes it great!  :)
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO