flattr (and other money giving stuff)

Digit

get flattr for vsido, put a button for it under the donate button, and i'll subscribe, giving you a guaranteed monthly lil extra from me.
(guaranteed so long as i keep my flattr fund topped up.)

Digit

careful you dont miss the point of flattr by only looking through accountant-goggles.  ^_^

Digit

and ever heard the saying "put up or hack up"?  ;D

teehee.

another saying sprung to mind when i read that (which i had to search for):
QuoteThere was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it.

Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it.

Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job.

Everybody thought that Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn't do it.

It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done

anyhoo.

flattr exists.  it works very well for what it does.  u wanna dismiss it after seconds of looking at their page, fine, but please bear in mind your level of knowledge about it when you go tearing off to poo-poo it to others.

Digit

sry, didnt mean to cause offense.

if there's something else that does what flattr does and (without any other deal-breaker features) and at a lower %, sure, i'd maybe recommend it instead.  havnt found it, flattr's the best (only) i know that does what flattr does.

i really dont mind (auto-skim)flattr'ing flattr for their service with that charge.  they are, in my mind, a "good cause" in and of themselves.

it shouldnt be any skin off your nose if a flattr button gets added.  ~and will be welcomed by those who do want to make use of the service.

feel free to go tell the flattr guys it's too much though.  this conversation behind the bikeshed's unlikely to get them making improvements.  ;)

sqlpython

I like to add my 10% by commenting  ..

Quoteit shouldnt be any skin off your nose if a flattr button gets added.  ~and will be welcomed by those who do want to make use of the service.
Agreed!
i really dont mind (auto-skim)
Likewise, I agree.. seems that the division of funds is a fine concept.
But...............
QuoteTen percent skim is unconscionable.
Whole heartedly Agree!   ;)

If flattr governed their % to what I would perceive as a more reasonable % then I would jump on board myself.
I will take Digit's suggestion and send them a critique/complaint regarding their juicy skim.
For my foreseeable future donations, I will stick with Pay Pal..   
Stretch, Siduction-15.1,  Slackware 14.1, LMDE, Calculate 15.7

sqlpython

The LXLE method of donations via "SolveMedia" & CAPTCHA seems a really good concept.
On the Upside, money from every download. On the Downside, less money per user (usually). That is unless the user makes his/her own Pay Pal donation.
My one question which I will attempt to investigate is will any advertising hooks or software remnant from the Softmedia CAPTCHA download continue to be pervasive in the ISO?

statmonkey

Not to hijack this but want to make sure you are kidding.
QuoteOkay, so i should just stay out of the birthday threads and the "i know what i know" threads and the "let's all jump on the bandwagon" threads. No prob.
I think your comments have been very well received.  I don't think anyone is hammering you or has the intention of belittling your opinions.  You do have strong/diverse opinions though and that by it's nature will stir comment.  This is a good thing, having people of varying ideas generates discourse, discourse requires thought, thought stimulates and educates. Agreement generates ... [crickets].

I have a limited amount of time.  If I was looking for a payment model and saw 10% was the vig I too would stop reading at that point.  It would be a killer for me.  That said, if I wanted to use something and they used flattr it would not offend me nor would I hesitate to donate through a flattr link. 

All of this ends with I appreciate your comments and insights ectropy as I do digit, sqlpython, etc. There are certain people who's posts I jump to as valuable immediately.  I am not though, required to agree with you afaik. Doesn't mean I don't respect it and appreciate it.

All of this reminds me that it is time to donate to the Vsido project. :)

VastOne

@ectropy, I want to echo statmonkey's comments, I could not have said them any better.

For most who know me, I do not usually jump through hoops for anyone unless I appreciate their philosophy or knowledge.  I do not know you from Adam, but what you have offered in the first week you have been here has been priceless and for that I thank you and hope you find your stay here a good and reciprocal one

@statmonkey, top shelf dude, top shelf!  Thank you!  Heres to a round of golf on you!  I am feeling I have earned it..  :)

VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

sqlpython

QuoteNo, it doesn't "leave a remnant in the iso".
Thanks for researching that aspect..
Sounds like a keeper.

Digit

changed the title of the thread to reflect (and welcome) other suggestions of this ilk.

i'm glad of the innovation, but i'm not sure this solvemedia's captcha method is my cup of tea. ~ still to look into it further though.  seems like an extra layer of obfuscating complexity and inconvenience  (and possible privacy/anonymity concerns?) on downloads to me.   ... but like i say, i dont have a good handle on it yet. 

i've got it downloaded (after much fiddling) and plan to poke around see what i can grok...   sometime.  ^_^  got it on my list.