Scaled down ISO

VastOne

After several days of discussions and work stemming from the New Directions Thread, I have built a new ISO for testing...

Link updated the latest ISO

I encourage everyone to check it out and let me know it is solid
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

jedi

Looking good VastOne.

Less than a half hour of work to get it to look and act just like my goto installation!  Love the lxpanel.  We already discussed some issues, haven't found anymore...

(edit 9-26-13)
Some observations about the new test ISO.  lxpanel can be made to look really nice!  That said, when adding an app as a launcher to the lxpanel, it points to a different config than the same app in the FB menu.  An example;  Added Icedove, opened it from the lxpanel, it didn't see any of my many email accounts and wanted me to do a new setup.  Same app accessed from the current FB menu goes right to the correct conf with all my emails showing fine.  Same thing for Iceweasel.  lxpanel, no previous settings are there, FB menu, all my tabs and settings are fine.

I also noticed that when I add an app launcher to the lxpanel, if I then go to the Accessories > Application Finder in the FB menu, there will now be another Icon listed there for the same app twice.  i.e. two Icedove and two Iceweasel Icons...

I'm also experiencing reboot issues.  As in it just hangs, and I'm forced to ctrl-alt-del to reboot.  If I think of anything else, I'll post it.  Wasn't sure where you'd like to see this posted, so I posted it here as this is where you put the link for the new test iso...

Ok, I think FB menu is pulling apps from /usr/bin, whereas, lxpanel is opening them from /usr/share/applications.  One other observation; I did the test install putting /home on root.  Something I normally don't do.  Not sure if this makes any difference.  Also didn't use my regular host name for the test install.  I know that has made a difference concerning some of my "issues"...

I'm now also wondering if this might have anything to do with the new Liquorix Kernel 3.11-1?  Dizzie says my Gimp skills are EPIC!!!
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

Digit

cool, i'll get that dl'd and tried out in virtualbox (at least) momentarily.

also, that inspired me to make a testreleases dir on my server for where i've held the intent of providing a backup/alternative/mirror vsido iso host.  :)  so if catastrophe hits, vsido lives on in some small way.

healthy looking sized iso.

statmonkey

zbreaker

Quote from: statmonkey on September 26, 2013, 09:24:17 PM
Giddily downloading now.

+1 - looks like a little fun after dinner tonight 8)

VastOne

Excellent feedback and assistance... Jedi, I will talk more about this on the IRC and then we can report back here... Offhand, I would say that somehow lxpanel is not seeing your /home area... I can add anything to the panel and it works, but I will test it more on a full install

Thanks all for helping test this...

I dev VSIDO

statmonkey

My first impressions:
1. initial install borked - couldn't log in as user.  Discovered that /home/ had no user - none/nada.  Not sure what caused that.
2. reinstall worked with no issues and took no more than 10 minutes to get to where I wanted.  Nice!
3. I was sitting at about 1 GB of mem in old version now sitting at 560MB without FF running.  Which forced me to pop open my old version and check again.  Wow, most of that seems to be from tint2 was it really adding that much?
4. Booted/rebooted several times with no issues and ran a few goofy scripts and seems solid.  Will leave it running for a few hours and see what the mem use does.
5. OMG "___________" is not there anymore (this space reserved for later) :)

lwfitz

^ Interesting that the mem usage would drop so much. Your not using a different GPU driver or anything? Thats where I see my biggest memory drop/jump as far as my boot up memory is concerned
Don't Be A Dick!

VastOne

Just to be sure, is everyone using the second ISO that went up later in the day yesterday?  The way to make sure is to check to see if Geany is in the Dev menu on FluxBox or check to see if pulseaudio is installed...

If you do not have either of these, you have the older mucked up version...

My apologies

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

@statmonkey...

You boot to 560MB memory in use? 

I dev VSIDO

statmonkey

Not on that sys at this moment but will boot into it as soon as I finish uploading some customer stuff I want to get rid of before I muck anything up.  Good call VastOne that is a single monitor and had not added the nvidia drivers yet. It does have pulse not sure about geany didn't look.

FWIW New version - Never forget I am an idiot (193MB) on first boot
FWIW on the old Vsido with lxpanel on first boot (518MB)

Wow that is monstrous! Gee, if you do it right it's impressive - sorry about that

VastOne

GMB from the lxpanel will not work because I forgot to include a necessary bash file for it

Will repair after some sleep

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Quote from: VastOne on September 27, 2013, 05:49:34 AM
GMB from the lxpanel will not work because I forgot to include a necessary bash file for it

Will repair after some sleep

For those who want to fix this... do this

sudo medit /usr/local/bin/gmb.sh

paste this in and save it

#!/bin/bash
launch $HOME/gmusicbrowser/gmusicbrowser.pl

then run

sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/gmb.sh

I dev VSIDO