fstab

Gordon

Hi All,

I have finally managed to get VSIDO on my PC. MY question is how do I get fstab to to point my documents stored on sdc2 to show my documents folder. I have tried searching the forum but with no luck, guess I am not phrasing my search correctly but can't think of any other way of asking. Thanking one and all for any help offered
Cheers :D
Gordon
Gigabyte Motherboard GA-MA69G-S3H , 8 Gb Ram, Realtek RX550 Graphics,  VSIDO

VastOne

Disk Manager is installed... I would run that and enable what you want opened from fstab.. Once you enable a device in Disk Manager, it writes it for you in fstab permanently

Welcome back Gordon, what was it you did to get VSIDO going?
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Gordon

Hi  VastOne

Thanks for the reply and info, Didn't think about that new to me just used it and it seemed to work OK but have deleted a user and screwed VSIDO up again so will have to try and sort that out now. In the first place I installed  some new ram to increase it but it was faulty and did something to my hard drive and total messed it up. Don't know what or how but spent days trying to sort it out but gave up in the end a bought new drives and started from scratch, so install XP first then VSIDO and then CRUNCHBANG using LVM. Got them all installed and #! seeing all my drives and was trying to sort out  VSIDO but have messed it up for the moment so will have to start again as usual  ;D
Gordon

Gordon

HI VastOne

Thanks for that. Sorry about the late reply but I actually manage to figure it out before I read your answer. Cheers  :)

Gordon

Gordon

Hi

Ok I thought I had got is sorted out but I was wrong. I have it as far as VSIDO seeing the other drives but  can't get it to point to the required place
I have tried various combinations to the code below with no luck, can anyone point me down the right direction please ? AS you can probably guess I am trying to point sdc1/Pics to the images folder

/dev/sdc1/Pics     /home/gordon/images   ext4 noatime  0 0

Thanks for any help offered, all is welcome
Gordon

dizzie

/dev/sdc1      /home/username/folder     ext4       defaults      0    0

If "Pics" is on that drive's root (/dev/sdc1/Pictures) you can't mount it directly, but you can make a symlink, fx. like :

/dev/sdc1 to /mnt/harddrive, then do :

ln -s /mnt/harddrve/Pics /home/username/Pics

Hope this helps
Reclaim your culture, it's within your reach!

My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | G+ | VSIDO |

Gordon

Hi dizzie

Thanks for that, I'll give it a try later on or tomorrow on the way out now cheers
Gordon

hinto

I usually use symlinks to do thing like this

ln -sf /dev/sdc1/Pics /home/gordon/images

and leave fstab alone (aside from the initial mount usually to say,/data)
-Hinto
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Sir Isaac Newton

VastOne

^ Thats just what I do...

How are you hinto?
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

hinto

Still here;)
Still digging VSIDO on my p4 ;)
<ot>
I'm currently playing with LinuxBBQ in my vm's (running webervers/appservers, etc), and running SolydX (tracking siduction) on a desktop...  Oh and #! on my core2 quad.... So many distros, so little PCs ;)
</ot>
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Sir Isaac Newton

Gordon

Hi All,

Sorry about the long delay in posting but have been away for a few days.

/dev/sdc1     /home/gordon/images  does in fact point directly to my pictures. I was trying to get fstab to open a folder which of course it can't do. Sorry if I caused anyone a big headache but I wasn't thinking straight myself. Apologizes to one and all and thanks to one and all for getting involved in my query
Gordon

lwfitz

^ glad Im not the only one wwho doesnt think straight sometimes  :D
Don't Be A Dick!