Reclaim Thy Space

VastOne

All right all you VSIDO users... I have a gift for you

In testing for a new build that can be seen here, an issue that may have been hidden since the beginning of all of this has shown up...

A couple of awesome test users, dizzie and jedi, noticed that the size of the new VSIDO install was probably 3 times larger than ever before. At about the same time, I was seeing failures on my VM install test beds that made no sense but once I investigated further, the failures were happening because the 8 gig had ran out of space... (VSIDO install would say All Is Good, lets reboot, but there would not be a grub installed, the last step of the installer)

On a day long discussion on the #VSIDO IRC channel, it was discovered that /lib/live/mount on the new installs were 6.5 gig!!!!

Testing was done to ensure that deleting /lib/live/mount was all right (and Google indicated others with the same issue) and we can emphatically say....

sudo rm -rf /lib/live/mount

This has probably been going on since the beginning of VSIDO but with installs at 4-5 gig it was not a big deal... The actual install size of VSIDO is 3 gig before running vsido-welcome!!!

For anyone in the future, I have enhanced the VSIDO installer to remove /lib/live/mount as one of the last steps before the grub install so that this will never hit anyone again

Great thanks to jedi and dizzie for the testing (and bitching) and apologies to anyone who has seen this as an issue

Cheers!
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Cuttlefish

Thanks VastOne.  Dropped from about 7.9 to 4.8!  Cool!

statmonkey

Just wanted say thanks to all. Nice catch!

statmonkey

Sorry for the double post but ...

What about the live directory in lib?  I mean what is it's purpose and does it need to be there?  If so what is it doing? This is not urgent just curious.  At the end of my dist upgrade  I always see this and it is bugging me.  Yes, yes google is my friend but I am being lazy so feel free to ignore me.  :-[
live-boot: core filesystems devices utils memdisk udev wget blockdev ftpfs.

VastOne

Good question statmonkey and one I have pondered as well.  I am unsure of it's value and since it is so small I have erred on the side of caution and left it

I do not think there is any issue at all in removing it

I dev VSIDO

statmonkey

Well I am whacking it and if it all blows up .... I am coming to find you on the golf course :) Thanks for the feedback if anything untoward happens will let you kn ...........

VastOne

^ Thanks, I think!...

I have tested it removed and have not seen anything unusual

I dev VSIDO

statmonkey

Just kidding. I removed it and it seems to have had no effect, but after I removed it I have seen lots of unusual things.  I watched a David Lynch movie.

PackRat

^ seriously?

I recall seeing something in the startup services that may be related to that directory.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

statmonkey

There is a call to the live boot source that results in warnings from initramfs that it is not able to access the liveboot
unfortunately I can't find it in my log at the moment.  There does seem to be some impact not sure how critical.  Of more concern is this from the /var/log/live/boot.log
modprobe: module swap not found in modules.dep
modprobe: module swap not found in modules.dep
umount: can't umount /live/overlay: Device or resource busy

I can't find anything in the dmesg, boot, error or any other log that shows a problem and I am not seeing any issues.  The only things I have seen once the folders were removed are the above the message that came in my last upgrade about "initramfs not being able to include the "live boot". Sadly I assumed that would be somewhere in my logs and I could grab the message later to research.  I can't find the exact message and would like to research this.  Any ideas where to look?  Any thoughts on how big an issue I have created (if any)?

PackRat

I wouldn't really know where to look. Based on what you have though, I would say you can no longer access/mount any swap file you created on install.

If my original comment was correct, you can install rcconf with apt and edit your services - there are two that may be related to what you just deleted - they start with "live".

You may be getting errors because those services can't start - I don't know what either does.

Should finish by pointing out, I'm just brain storming here and you may totally bork your system.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

(looking over my shoulder on the golf course)

On my system I did remove live and have seen the same errors but still with no outstanding consequences...

I dev VSIDO

statmonkey

You are probably still safe on the golf course, finish your round in peace.  If I do "bork" my system I can just re-install the latest and greatest and start over.  As stated in the "ideas" thread that is the beauty of Vsido.  Honestly thinking about doing a re-install anyway, will wait and see what happens with the lxpanel v tint2 issue. 

Good info packrat and here is what I found. 
If I fire up rcconf and tick off the items that are related to live I get the following:
update-rc.d: warning: start runlevel arguments (none) do not match live Default-Start values (S)
update-rc.d: warning: stop runlevel arguments (0 1 2 3 4 5 6) do not match live Default-Stop values (0 6)

If I open up sysv-rc-conf and look for live items the live entries are all empty

I thought the message might be a hint so I opened up the /etc/live and live-installer folders and there seems to be some leftover configuration files in there. Specifically install.conf and config.con.  I am assuming that these are getting called incorrectly or should not be present.  Anyone know if these can be removed? Or if there might be something else I am missing.  Getting the feeling that I am pulling a thread that might unravel the sweater.

VastOne I will catch you on the back nine.

PackRat

Don't know if they can be removed, but if you attempt it - and what do you have to lose at this point? - rename them instead, or move them to a temp directory.

You may be on to something about those files being leftover. I opened synaptic and there are a lot files that seem to related to what you have deleted to date. By not removing them with apt/synaptic there could be plenty of leftover files - you may have created a bunch of orphans. You can open synaptic on our system and see if a bunch of packages show as broken.

and yes, you may be unraveling the sweater.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

statmonkey

2 great suggestions PackRat that I will embark on immediately.  Just read in the other thread VO's progress on the newest and greatest so it would seem that even if I cause my system to barf I won't be adrift.  I never have used or considered synaptic for several years now so I would have never thought of that.

Just backed up and rebooted.  In Synaptic there are no broken packages.  It does show 
live-boot
live-boot-doc
live-boot-initramfs-tools
live-build
live-config
live-config-doc

So, I know get the takemytoysandgohome joke.  Ha! After reading the remastersys site and of course enjoying some of the fine gossip related to it.  I decided to take the plunge and remove this stuff along with memtest86+ which I don't believe I need on my box.  All went well ..... except the following:
On trying to remove "live-tools" the system just says no or more accurately
Removing live-tools ...
dpkg-divert: error: rename involves overwriting `/usr/bin/uptime' with
  different file `/usr/bin/uptime.orig.procps', not allowed
dpkg: error processing live-tools (--remove):
subprocess installed post-removal script returned error exit status 2
Errors were encountered while processing:
live-tools
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I have read a couple of walk-throughs on how to fix this but the end result so far has been nada.  If anyone has any ideas let me know.  The good news is I think all this live stuff can be taken out. FWIW