(SOLVED) Trying to get gdm3 to work.

Cuttlefish

Hello folks.

In the process of trying to use vsido with gnome 3.8, I noticed that the lock screen (with the sliding curtain) was not functioning.  Instead I still have the original vsido login.

I looked in a number of places for clues:
Here:  http://askubuntu.com/questions/213763/how-to-enable-new-lock-screen-on-gnome-3-6
(Yes, I know Ubuntu isn't the best place for debian.)
I get this error:
   [FAIL] Starting GNOME Display Manager: gdm3 failed!

and
Here: http://vsido.org/index.php/topic,221.msg2976.html#msg2976

and various other places.

I even tried checking and asking on the debian forum and got my "hand slapped".  :)

Any direction or suggestions would be great.  Obviously I'm missing something.
Thanks

BTW:  "VSIDO Gnome" looks really cool with the vsido theme and icons. and is very responsive and snappy!

VastOne

^ Try running

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm3

and selecting gdm... It might help... other than that I have no idea why it's own configuration is not being used.
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

You have peaked my interest... I am going to load gdm3 to check it out

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Wow... what a lot to install!  168 MiB cleaned out by BleahBit and localepurge...

I installed it from Experimental doing this

[code]apt-get install -t experimental gnome3-session

Gonna reboot and test now

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

It worked for me...

Unfortunately I could not get anything else to work... No apps would come up, no settings, nothing I clicked on would work with the exception of lock and power off

I would try this

apt-get install -t experimental gnome3-session

to verify that solves the issue

I dev VSIDO

Cuttlefish

Thanks for the effort VastOne.  It is very much appreciated. :-)
I didn't try or think to try the experimental repo I just took The whole shebang from Synaptic.  Is it possible to reinstall gdm3 from the experimental repo?  I will check when I get home.

You should see when I down load Gnome.  Its like downloading another distro.  :D
Thanks again!

VastOne

If you run the command I gave, it will install from Experimental over what you have... think of it as a dist-upgrade just for gnome3

I dev VSIDO

Cuttlefish

Awesome VastOne!  Thank you.  Seems to be working really well, albeit a tad slower, but is seems quite nice. Things that I forgot about in  Gnome 3.8 are working,  like right-click on the desktop, background change.  Neat stuff.  I realize there is a lot of bloat here, but it is interesting to see the DE come together. I didn't know there is an experimental repo. 

I'll have to investigate it .  Thanks again. 

Dave

VastOne

^ Good to hear... but you want to be very careful with Experimental... it is the real unstable area of Debian

I dev VSIDO

Cuttlefish

Yes I will be careful, but will also have some fun breaking it too!!
...I'm  looking forward to testing your "New Direction".