New Direction thoughts

VastOne

^ Well said lwfitz, thanks for that and all of your support!
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

QuoteI have been running Vsido for a couple of months now and overall consider it the best distro experience I have ever had.  For me it is a perfect blend of what I want with a few things in or out I would like to have.  Instead of making base changes to my system it really has been a case of tweaking a little here and there.  I don't know of anything that could be done that could make that any better.  There will always be things here or there that could or could not be included.  Overall though what matters to me is I can go from an empty box to my setup in far less time than I have ever been able to do with any set up.

+1 - Usable, user friendly, debian sid-based distro out of the box.

QuoteVSIDO is SID to that and it is a complete vision of what I want to accomplish with VSIDO

and that's what matters - you don't look over Worhol's shoulder and say to him "add some yellow"  ;D
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ Thanks for that and all of your support!

... what about pink?   :P

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

lwfitz

^ I will assume the head in the sand comment is pointed at me, and if Im correct then you need to read my comments again. I dont think anyone here is against change that would be for the betterment of VSIDO as a whole. Instead I think the issue is changing simply because another distro does it different.
I have installled and used more distros than I can remember and some of them were fantastic while others didnt work for me. Does that make any one of them "better" than the other? Maybe in my eyes but not in reality.

Don't Be A Dick!

VastOne

^ my comment on shitcan/antix/golf was said tongue in cheek, a smiley should have been added

I look forward to your comments and suggestions... I have pretty thick skin,  I need to have it sitting in this chair

Do not change your style or comments at all.  I am sure we all know your intentions are not to troll and it is obvious you have been around the linux block a time or two

Thanks for these conversations, it is what keeps me busy... which is something I prefer...  8)

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

Quote from: ectropy on September 24, 2013, 09:11:01 AM
My posting that quote out of context was poor form, lwfitz. I apologize.

Its all good buddy  8)

as vastone said, keep the ideas coming. He needs more work to do anyway :-D
Don't Be A Dick!

jedi

Wow, I really like what this thread has turned into!  This is the reason I use VSIDO, (now VSIDO II Velociraptor!) because everything 'anyone' says is listened to, and, if beneficial to the distro taken into account.   8)

Like lwfitz, I also have tried too many "distro's" to count.  Some are still around, some have found their way to the trash heap.  VSIDO has been around now for at least four of us, for over one year, and for VastOne for over three years.  IMO, VSIDO has truly turned SID into a "Rolling-Release" version of the latest, greatest, bleeding edge Linux distro available.  New ISO's every couple of weeks, (sometimes every couple of days) and not only that, but a brand new users post on something he/she discovered to make it better or fix a flaw (not sure if a flaw has ever been found?  ??? ) will inevitably find it's way into the very next ISO.

IMO, (ok I'll be plain here, IN MY OPINION:) one mans cruft is anothers gold mine. nuff said...   ;D

One of the most wonderful aspects of VSIDO, is the invaluable and vast amount of knowledge accumulated here in the VSIDO Community.  Not to mention our #VSIDO IRC channel.  Anybody here ever asked a question on the Debian forums?  Not the friendliest group on the planet to say the least.  Some of the other Linux forums are even worse, with their self-proclaimed l33tists/gurus!  Here, you can ask anything, and someone will not just give you a hint, but will walk you step by step through any given situation, without having to hear one of them say RTFM.  Same on the IRC channel, except you'll most likely get the info instantly and probably more than one person will chime in to help.  This is part of what makes VSIDO an enormous pleasure to use, and an exemplary model of what a Linux distro should be!
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

VastOne

^ Wow... I am humbled to the core on that one, thanks jedi...

An update of sorts on what has been discussed...

I have been removing a lot of the cruft that ectropy suggested and it will be a part of this weekends ISO builds

I have tested (again) a plethora of launchers/panels etc... lxpanel almost makes it and if I can figure out a couple of BS issues, then I may actually switch to that just to have an all in one panel/launcher TO MY LIKING...  :-[  ...  One of the BS issues with lxpanel is that it allegedly uses the freedesktop.org standards on .desktop files but does not transfer all of those standards to itself.. these same things work perfectly in tint2 but not on the panel..  If anyone has good experience with lxpanel, I could use some brainstorming time on the IRC if you want

As always, keep it coming!

I dev VSIDO

statmonkey

I think I can survive a few days :) but thanks for the concern.  I haven't killed a system in a while so I am overdue though.  This is really exciting stuff.  I have really enjoyed lurking in this thread by the way, even if it has at times been taxing to my little brain.  As always VastOne, thank you for your efforts for all of us.

Digit

Quote from: VastOne on September 23, 2013, 06:09:46 PM

@ Digit, there are several aliases that are the default in VSIDO that do those, are you suggesting to change the naming conventions on them?

oh!  hehe, nah.  all good then.  my time spent with vanilla vsido configs was brief, and havnt properly checked out the releases since the one i installed on my main box at the start of the year.    i should just go find those vsido default aliases and adjust mine to follow that vsido convention.  ;)

VastOne

Here you go digit...  Have at them mate, make them what you want them to be... your project if you want it!

alias up='sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade'
alias get='sudo apt-get install'
alias rem='sudo apt-get autoremove'
alias cl='sudo apt-get autoclean'
alias se='apt-cache policy'
alias upg='sudo update-grub'
alias grc='ps aux | grep'
alias re='source ~/.bashrc'
alias cd..='cd ..'
alias md=mkdir
alias sdn='sudo shutdown -h now'
alias prg="sudo apt-get purge"
alias ls='ls -F --color --group-directories-first'
alias l="ls -lha"
alias c='clear'
alias q='exit'
alias s='sudo'
alias al='cat ~/.bash_aliases'
alias muz='cd $HOME/music && gyts'
alias fin='find . | grep -i -s -e "$@"'

######################################################
################# My Added Aliases ###################
alias sl="sudo medit /etc/apt/sources.list"
alias reinstall='sudo apt-get install --reinstall'
alias finstall='sudo apt-get -f install'
alias agp='sudo apt-get autoremove --purge'
alias add='sudo add-apt-repository'
alias install-norec='sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends'
alias ls='ls --color=auto'
alias dir='dir --color=auto'
alias vdir='vdir --color=auto'
alias grep='grep --color=auto'
alias fgrep='fgrep --color=auto'
alias egrep='egrep --color=auto'
alias addgpg='sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys'
alias addkey='sudo gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv'
alias expkey='gpg --export --armor'
alias keyadd='sudo apt-key add - '
alias sfonts='sudo fc-cache -fv'
alias fonts='fc-cache -fv'
alias da='date "+%a, %b %d, %Y [%I:%M %P]"'
alias dat='date "+%A, %B %d, %Y [%I:%M %P]"'

############### Various INXI Aliases #################
####################### Short ########################
alias s11='inxi -Fz -c6' ## filtered
alias S11='inxi -F -c6' ## not filtered
####################### Full #########################
alias SYS='inxi -ACDfGIpluNrsSt cm3 -x -v7 -c6' ## not filtered
alias sys='inxi -ACDfGIpluNrsSt cm3 -x -v7 -c6 -z' ## Filtered
####################### Pieces #######################
alias aud='inxi -A -x -c6'
alias cpu='inxi -Cf -x -c6'
alias hdd='inxi -Dd -x -c6'
alias mac='inxi -M -x -c6'
alias net='inxi -N -x -c6'
alias par='inxi -plu -x -c6'
alias sen='inxi -s -x -c6'
alias gfx='inxi -Gx -x -c6'

I dev VSIDO

Digit

lol. ok, maybe not.  those aliases look far harder to remember (coming from perspective of already knowing the apt-get and apt-cache commands.)  :) 
and no feh backgrounding aliases?  aw.  ^_^

wait... when you say make them what i want them to be, my project if i want it... do you mean for vsido?  ((cos when i first read that, i thought you were politely telling me to piss off))   i'm now offered the role of being the guy who determines the aliases?  :O   

well, if that is the case...
to keep the workload light, i suggest just paste in my aliases too.  ;)  i dont think they overlap anywhere, and that way everyone (but the extremist anti-bloat peeps) is happy, no preferred alias of their's missing.   wont hurt to have two aliases for some package management stuff.  :)

(i can see i'd take well to typing "up" instead of "agu && agdu", hehe)

oh, i suppose i should add to mine:
alias agac='sudo apt-get autoclean'                                                                                                                                           
alias acp='sudo apt-cache policy'
  ... for some more thoroughness.  straight abreviations of the apt commands gets familiar fast.

hrmm... i wonder... another set of aliases for feh background commands too... in a more human language....  background, background-fill, background-scale... etc?    meh.    seems like too much typing... bg?   defeats the point a little...   meh, the feh is fine.

now, IF i was correct first time around (and you were telling me to piss off to my own project with my own aliases) sorry for blahblahblahing over your forum.  ;)

(damnit, was gonna post something else, some other suggestion that was actually worthy... but forgot now after seeing that someone else replied message.  doh)

statmonkey

FYI
alias did='sudo ls -l /dev/disk/by-id/*'
alias tr='sudo find / -type d -name *Trash*' # find all your trash files
alias rb='exec bash'      # restart bash environment
alias hb='history|more'            # get a listing of your bash history
alias path='echo -e ${PATH//:/\\n}' #lists out your path var
alias atoz="mkdir {A..Z}" #create a to z folders
alias uuid='ls -al /dev/disk/by-uuid/*' # List drives by uuid
alias netmap='nmap 192.168.0-1.0-255 -sP' # get a complete netmap requires nmap

gd you guys. Every time I take a break and look in here there is something great.  3rd thing down on my personal list
"add aliases for things like gpg etc."

VastOne strikes again.  So I guess I will add these until Digit will makes me start over again :)

Digit

heh, seems i've a short memory. ;) http://vsido.org/index.php/topic,142.msg4073.html#msg4073

anyhoo, thought i'd go make this thread too: *quickly goes to make it* http://vsido.org/index.php/topic,522.0.html ... there we go.