New Direction thoughts

PackRat

@lwfitz

geany doesn't need any of xfce, just a couple gtk libs, and whatever plugins you want to install with it.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

surio

I already have VSIDO installed, so geany is already on my m/c. I take it, future ISO releases won't come bundled with geany? Getting relegated to the welcome script... oh the ignominy! ;) :P  :P

GNOME-dependencies? in or out? If your ISO is under 670 MB or so with gnome-dependencies inside, I would still suggest that you include GNOME dependencies... It future proofs the installation against later app installs, specially if people don't have "autobahn internet" all the time.

@Vastone,
   if it is not too much of a bother, can you write a small summary post by collating all the developments so far, as to what the "new look" VSIDO will be made of?
VSIDO || Slackware and sisters || Ubuntu and cousins || Windows 7/8.1

surio

Oh, and I just realised, gdebi is also gone ??? :o ! But, I used to use it regularly too :-/

VastOne

There are as little gnome-dependencies as are needed by the apps installed... and geany was probably the biggest culprit

If you already have vsido and geany installed, this really has no impact on you...

With geany in vsido-welcome, it becomes a choice and not a demand.. I think there is less people who want / need geany than there are that do demand it... Honestly, I do not know why I included it to begin with on the original design and install

I have already included the package list in a post above...

In a nutshell it is this:

Removed Xfce 4.10 but kept some parts (application finder, notifyd, task-manager)
Placed Thunar and Geany in vsido-welcome
removal of uget
removal of gFTP
removal of aptosid kernel-remover (because smxi does the same thing)
added pulseaudio

I also removed two icon sets that were not needed... That significantly reduced the ISO size..

This started out because the 64 bit is growing out of control (717 Mib) now...

I am hearing a lot of good feedback and most of it seems to indicate this new build is on the correct path

And gdebi has not been removed, where are you seeing that?
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

blaze

Thanks for package list and explanation VastOne, looking forward to squeeze in a test of the new iso during the weekend or possibly early next week.
blazingaway

VastOne

^ You bet blaze, thanks for the interest and taking/finding time for testing it...  8)

I dev VSIDO

blaze

My "New Direction Thought"; This feels ready for official Vsido release. Worked well live, installed it, no problems. If there should occur something I`ll post about it of course. Thanks, VastOne & "staff testers", great work!
blazingaway

surio

Quote from: VastOne on September 12, 2013, 05:47:30 PM
I think there is less people who want / need geany than there are that do demand it... Honestly, I do not know why I included it to begin with on the original design and install
Let's call it "the crunchbang effect", eh? ;)

I have already included the package list in a post above...
which probably got "clobbered in the melee". I shall give it a once over............. after locating it first :P

In a nutshell it is this:

Removed Xfce 4.10 but kept some parts (application finder, notifyd, task-manager)
Placed Thunar and Geany in vsido-welcome
removal of uget
removal of gFTP
removal of aptosid kernel-remover (because smxi does the same thing)
added pulseaudio

I also removed two icon sets that were not needed... That significantly reduced the ISO size..
This started out because the 64 bit is growing out of control (717 Mib) now...
This is pretty good, I would say. :) Thanks.

And gdebi has not been removed, where are you seeing that?
If you didn't implement this thread, well, thank you. :)

Last but not least,  This thread made for intriguing reading. We, the existing users also need to do this?

sudo rm -rf /lib/live/mount

Cheerio

VastOne

VSIDO has nothing to do or was ever influenced by CrunchBang... I had some early users who thought Geany would be a good fit but I believe the majority now see it as something not needed... Now that it is in vsido-welcome, it is easily available...

Speaking of vsido-welcome, that is the only thing that VSIDO and #! have in common, and Philip allowing for the use of his excellent scripts will always be a bonus for any VSIDO user and one that I am eternally grateful for

Yes, all VSIDO users should run

sudo rm -rf /lib/live/mount

I dev VSIDO

tlinsley

Does medit support rectangular selections?  I have tried all the usual key combos from other editors to no avail.

VastOne

^ Do you mean block selections?  Not sure exactly what you mean by rectangular

For block selections I use control mouse select

I dev VSIDO

tlinsley

Yes I think we are talking about the same thing.  And "Ctrl + mouse select" does not work for me.

Just in case we are not speaking of same...

Block select in Geany via "Shift + Ctrl + mouse select":

Attempted block select in Medit via "Ctrl + mouse select":

statmonkey

I don't use medit much but I am pretty sure they both work the same way Geany is IMHO a little clumsier and more cumbersome.  Medit creates a section from a line ending where Geany is a set frame size regardless of the line endings.  But ctl+shift+mouse select work in both.

Now lets go easy on my Geany guys.  I think it is just what you get used to, I was a huge gedit guy at one time.  Got tired of all the crap you had to put with it and switched.  I can see the same argument with geany and probably will learn to love medit ... but for now :)

Some good stuff in here.  I had noticed the live stuff but wasn't sure if I could whack it.  Thanks for letting me know.  I also have been running the new build and very nice, fast, clean and lean ... that said I would be hard pressed to move away from OB for now.  I am sure flux can do a lot of great things but not sure I feel like learning a new DM all over again and the little I looked at I was lost from the start.  I remember I learned OB from some blog somewhere (can't remember the guy's name but it was the go to resource for OB newbies at one time). If there is anything out there like that for flux I would be interested.

As always VastOne great job and great information.  This is another excellent thread and appreciate all the contributions.

VastOne

@tlinsley

Block selection is not possible in Medit per my searches on google...

Geany would be your choice and one you are comfortable with

@statmonkey, OB is still there and will remain there... I am sure PackRat will be along to point you to the Flux sites that can show you the ways.. to me it is very similar as OB in that it is a single file to edit for each area and once you see and get the hang of it, it is very easy

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

All right... the builds are done, the testing has gone well...  Here is a couple of images that show"

First Boot Memory and ScreenFetch 32 bit

First Boot Memory and ScreenFetch 64 bit

I dev VSIDO