Failed to mount "Audio Disc"

blaze

"Location is not mountable". That was the message I got when trying to open the cd with the file manager. Tried to play the cd with UMPlayer, nothing happened when clicking on the "Audio cd" choice in the menu. Do I need to install a package, or is it something policykit related that needs changing?
blazingaway

PackRat

When I get similar errors, it is because a symlink to the actual CD drive didn't get created.

My optical drive is sr0 and umplayer (mplayer etc ) looks for the symlink /dev/cdrom to play audio. Check the settings in umplayer and make sure it is looking for a symlink that exists, or create the one it is looking for.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

This is an issue I am seeing as well... hmmm

Never tried to load an audio CD and am seeing it for the first time, I took it for granted this worked

I will investigate but have a busy day... so kudos to anyone who solves this.  Make sure you let me know what is needed so I can add it to the builds

Thanks for the report blaze and sorry about the issues
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

I just recreated part of the issue.

umplayer will not play an audio CD - but will play a movie.
mplayer will not play an audio CD from the command line, but will play a movie.

I installed xine-ui, xine plays the audio CD's. Seems to take a bit longer than usual to load, but that might just be my laptop.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

blaze

Tried to change the settings in UMPlayer, nothing. When trying to mount in SpaceFM I got;

udevil: /dev/sr0 is known to mount - running mount as current user
udevil: warning 45: options ignored for device in fstab (or specify mount point)
mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail  or so

blaze@vsido:~$  dmesg | tail
[11570.810714] UDF-fs: warning (device sr0): udf_fill_super: No partition found (1)
[11570.878145] sr 7:0:0:0: [sr0] 
[11570.878158] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
[11570.878164] sr 7:0:0:0: [sr0] 
[11570.878170] Sense Key : Illegal Request [current]
[11570.878177] sr 7:0:0:0: [sr0] 
[11570.878193] Add. Sense: Illegal mode for this track
[11570.878199] sr 7:0:0:0: [sr0] CDB:
[11570.878203] Read(10): 28 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 01 00
[11570.878253] isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=sr0, iso_blknum=16, block=16
blazingaway

PackRat

What is the CD you're trying to mount? Is it something you burned yourself so there mp3 files on it, or is this an older store bought CD? On an older CD, I don't think there is recognizable file system so it will not be mountable, but it should play.

I'm getting the same behavior in umplayer on my debian testing system - will not play audio CD, only movies. Installed xine-ui and xine handles audio CD.

Edit - Correction, my CD from 1993 (The Buffalo Skinners by Big Country) has .wav files and can be mounted. Learned something today - too bad it wasn't a solution to this issue.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

blaze

@PackRat; In fact it were the latest cd by Donald Fagen, "Sunken condos", that puts a big smile on my face when listening to it. Thanks for trying anyway. Will investigate further tomorrow.
blazingaway

PackRat

This is an interesting thread -

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,10396.0.html

Umplayer is a front end for mplayer correct? Is the debian sid version of mplayer packaged with audio cd support?

Edit - followed the instructions in the tinycore thread and installed cdparanoia, some other deps and then compiled mplayer2 from source; still no-go for playing audio cd's.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

jedi

Not sure if this has a bearing, but with me, when I right click on an audio or movie file, and choose "open with", Umplayer nor VLC opens up the selected file.  I have not tried a cd or dvd tbh as I just took it for granted that they'd work.  I'll get back and let you know...

Edit; just tried an audio cd using VLC & Umplayer and neither works.  I get the following error when clicking on the audio cd in spacefm;

udevil: /dev/sr0 is known to mount - running mount as current user
udevil: warning 45: options ignored for device in fstab (or specify mount point)
mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail  or so

Finished with error ( exit status 32 )

Same as blaze posted above!
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

PackRat

Partial success -

Made a second attempt at compiling mplayer2 from source - git repository.

MPlayer2 sets a real high bar when it comes to Dependency Hell. The configure failed about 4-5 times before I had all the dependencies installed.

The Good - mplayer2 will now play audio cd's from the command line, and vlc will now play audio cd.

The Bad - umplayer still does not play audio cds

The Ugly - I'm thinking umplayer may need to be compiled with audio cd support.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

AFAIK, UMPlayer does not use mplayer as it source.. it uses your source (alsa by default in VSIDO) or pulseaudio if you used that

This is a music cd issue within VSIDO/Sid where we are missing something that is needed.  All other forms of CD's work perfectly and are mounted without issues.

In my fstab, I have th following

/dev/cdrom /media/cdrom udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

When SpaceFM loads an audio CD it sees it as sr0 which seems to contradict what is in fstab

I am going to research this tonight to find out what the issue is and what is missing... this seems like a very simple issue that we are not seeing

I appreciate all your help on this

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

I just installed auqualung and it detected and is playing the Audio CD in my cd-rom...

This seems BS to me ... why this special application? It is light, but that is not the issue... hmmm

Unpacking libcddb2 (from .../libcddb2_1.3.2-3_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libraptor1.
Unpacking libraptor1 (from .../libraptor1_1.4.21-7.1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package liblrdf0.
Unpacking liblrdf0 (from .../liblrdf0_0.4.0-5_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libifp4.
Unpacking libifp4 (from .../libifp4_1.0.0.2-5_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package aqualung.
Unpacking aqualung (from .../aqualung_0.9~beta11-1.2+b2_amd64.deb)

Debian will never read an Audio CD since it is not a file system

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

@vastone

I think UMplayer is  a front end for mplayer.

When I run it from a terminal and try to play an audio cd, there are calls to mplayer visible in the terminal -

xine uses its own libraries and I suspect aqualung does as well.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

I dev VSIDO

blaze

Tried some different cds, just to be sure, nothing. Threw in a disc with mp3 files, no problem at all. UMPlayer played willingly. File manager had no problem with mp3 files either. Copied them to the music folder, everything OK. What to do to get file manager to mount the cd so it is possible to copy it to hd? But on the +side of things, I got Spotify working  :)

Edit; Have read up a bit on the subject Debian and audio cds. Tried it in  #!, Vlc played, Thunar copied, it took a while to copy but that`s ok since it were only one cd. I have no intention of ripping hundreds of cds, just wanted to check if it were possible.
blazingaway