Hello!

Cuttlefish

Hello everyone!

I've been lurking for a few weeks now and I'm very impressed with the distro and the forum.  I kind of dropped a bit from the linux scene and have been using some of the popular distros, but got bored pretty quickly and was looking for a challenge.  I'm using the Vsido version with Kernel 3.10-1-amd64 set to XFCE and like it very much.  I hope to learn a lot and hope that I won't be a PIA. 

Thanks!

Dave

VastOne

Welcome Dave, glad to have you aboard.  I do no think you would ever be a PIA. Ask anything you need, we here for you.

VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Cuttlefish

Thanks VastOne.  I appreciate the friendliness here.  You and the nice folks at crunchbang have helped me quite a bit in my linux journey.

I do have one question...  I tried to download the latest .iso and I'm not getting the version with Kernel 3.10-5.  Am I doing something wrong?  I do realize I can upgrade the Kernel with smxi, but I'm wondering if I'm missing out on something with the new .iso, like art work, which is fantastic IMHO,  in my 3.10-1 version.

VastOne

In terminal run:

uname-a

and report back what it says...  It should be something like

Linux vsido 3.10-2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.10.5-1 (2013-08-07) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Edit - The default debian kernel should update automatically without the need for smxi doing a apt-get update apt-get dist-upgrade

The only time there would need a new install is if there is a change from 3..9 to 3.10 or 3.x to 4.x ... In those events, that is the when I build new ISO's

I dev VSIDO

Cuttlefish

Thanks VastOne.  Here it is:

Linux vsido 3.10-1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.10.3-1 (2013-07-27) x86_64 GNU/Linux

I'm not sure that I grabbed the right one, but no worries.  I'm gonna ride this wave as long as I can!   8)

VastOne

I do believe you have the correct one... it is the only one other than the 32 bit version

Have you done an apt-get update apt-get dist-upgrade lately?

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

If you want to get to the latest, all you have to do is run

get linux-headers-3.10-2-amd64
get linux-image-3.10-2-amd64

in that order and you will have the current debian kernel

I dev VSIDO

Cuttlefish

Perfect.  Thanks!

Linux vsido 3.10-2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.10.5-1 (2013-08-07) x86_64 GNU/Linux

:)

Dave

VastOne

^ Nice...

I was wrong... the updates are handled at the 3.10-1 level with a dist-upgrade but to go to 3.10-2 it needs to be handled how you just did it

Thanks for pursuing this

I am off to update the ISO's

I dev VSIDO

jedi

Cuttlefish, welcome to VSIDO!  You don't have to worry about the PIA position as it is already filled by dizzie!  You've joined a great community, and everyone here will do all we can to help you.  Again, welcome aboard....
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

VastOne

Thanks to this thread and Cuttlefish's input, I have updated the ISO's to the Debian 3.10.5-1 kernel

They are uploading now and I will post a thread when done

BTW, nice avatar Cuttlefish!

I dev VSIDO

Cuttlefish

Thanks folks!

Quote from: VastOne on August 13, 2013, 04:00:25 AM
BTW, nice avatar Cuttlefish!

Back in 2008 I started with linux and I was totally blown away with the concept of a live CD.  I wanted to join the antiX forum and asked my daughters what I should take as a user name.  Back then we used to go to a lot of aquariums and they were fascinated by cuttlefish (me too)...hence my avatar.

My daughters are 18 and 21 now.            ...Time flies.