Laptop issues

lwfitz

This question is not specific to any OS. I have (a customers) Toshiba Satellite C655, today I changed out the dc adapter and the re-assembled the laptop. Once reassembled I attempted to power it on but the screen just lit up and thats all. No bios. Nothing at all. The fans comes on and I could hear the drive going so I knew it was booting, so I plugged it into an external monitor via a vga cable and BAM.... I had picture.
I have once again pulled the laptop apart and removed everything except one ram chip, reset the bios and I get the same outcome. Just a blank lit up screen.

After all this I spoke with my customer and found out that the laptop had been freezing constantly with as little load as opening a web browser.

My thoughts are that this is video card related and that it has been failing for a while. The freezing makes me think that its more than just a bad cable from the mobo to the monitor.

Any ideas?

Edit:

Also I should have mentioned that I have gotten very close to the screen and tried to see if the display was there at all in case the display was failing but theres nothing at all
Don't Be A Dick!

VastOne

It does sound like a video adapter issue... I have seen several laptops with this same type and all of them worked fine on a connected monitor and each were heat related
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

SOLD!

Thanks VastOne. Just needed a little confirmation from the master  ;)

Don't Be A Dick!

lwfitz

Well after replacing the motherboard it turned out that actually what had failed was the LCD screen  :'(

Oh well, live and learn.
Don't Be A Dick!

sqlpython

Sorry I wasn't here earlier to share..
I had the same issue twice over 2 laptops in a two year period.
My solution was the same as you finally concluded.
  Easy to be the Monday morning Quarterback but...

In my case ( as I always do and may serve you) I just applied my programming skills.
I never pulled either apart because...

If the an External Monitor works
   then I conclude that  all hardware works
      except the LCD.

So, I just replaced the LCD in both cases and Voila'
The only circumstance that I can think where that test and logic would fail would be IF the External Monitor plug is also faulty.
Stretch, Siduction-15.1,  Slackware 14.1, LMDE, Calculate 15.7