New feedback again...YES, FINALLY...

ew

Hi Vastone :)

I will not bug you any more about the lack of efi/gpt-support within VSIDO or the installer. Finally today while I was determant that this issue shouldn`t stop me from using VSIDO, I decided that I would install it permanently on a USB-Stick. So far so good. I created a MS-DOS system on the stick,with two partitions, I created one ext4-partition and a "dummy" swap-partition of the giant size of 30MB  8)

Well, then in with the VSIDO-CD containing the latest ISO, hit tab to add "acpi_osi=Linux" and then hit enter. It booted just fine, and I started the installer. It detected the two partitions on my usb-stick, as I assumed it would, because they were ms-dos and NOT gpt... Well, I chose the swap-partition on the stick as it`s mandatory, and then the next step was to choose the root-partition and then I got a bright idea. I wouldn`t choose the root-partition that I prepared on the stick, instead I chose a empty ext4-partition on my gpt-disk, thinking that it was worth a shot. My thought was that the efi/gpt issue solely relyed on the installer, and that it would be sufficient to "fool" the installer, and that everything would work if I just could get it to install. Well, it proved to be correct... It installed just fine on my gpt-partition, and I also wrote grub to this partition...

Rebooted into Ubuntu that is my bootloader and master-grub, did a "sudo update-grub", and voila, it detected VSIDO in sda9 on my gpt-disk, and added an entry in efi..., as you see here:

So now I`m a happy camper, and you can be reassured that VSIDO handles efi and gpt just fine. It`s just a question of fooling the installer to think that you are about to install it on a ms-dos disk with a "dummy" swap-partition, and then all of a sudden, it detects the gpt-partitions so that you can choose those for root, home or whatever...

Well, now I`m logging of VSIDO and my PC for tonight, looking forward to many days configuring the appearance of VSIDO on my efi-booting gpt-disk. Problem solved. At least for me:)
-ew
-----------------------------
"What happens when you read some doc and either it doesn't answer your question or is demonstrably wrong? In Linux, you say "Linux sucks" and go read the code. In Windows/Oracle/etc you say "Windows sucks" and start banging your head against the wall."
--- Denis Vlasenko on lkml

VastOne

Great news ew!  Thank you for your persistence and with the details on how you got it done...

Have fun with VSIDO and playing with it, I hope it was worth the wait...

Cheers!
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

ew

Quote from: VastOne on July 04, 2013, 01:33:10 AM
Great news ew!  Thank you for your persistence and with the details on how you got it done...

Have fun with VSIDO and playing with it, I hope it was worth the wait...

Cheers!

I sure will have fun with it, and I know it`s worth the wait... I`ve delayed the configuration a little bit because I`ve now finally decided to look around for the best possible solution for my music-needs. Whether it`s Spotify, Google P(l)ay, Amazon, itunes or something else. I`m looking for one solution for everything, that not only will allow me to stream and play offline on my laptop or cell, but also enables me to put the files on a usb-stick or cd, and play them in my car, without being connected to the great big web... Lots of things to think about, because I`m very picky about quality, and will not be satisfied just by being able to play the files, the quality/bitrate also has to be very good..., and of course, the cost is a factor..., so I need to find the one that offers the best overall solution for me.

After I`ve found this solution, then I will start configuring VSIDO, but I don`t think I will change all that much, it`s just a question of minor visual adjustements to please my taste, and of course, I need to use my own theme..., after all, I`ve taken the time to hack together a mix of themes with my own customization, so I need to use it, otherwise I would have wasted many hours of unskilled tweaking where I had to check the effect of every little change, just to find out what each setting did:)
-ew
-----------------------------
"What happens when you read some doc and either it doesn't answer your question or is demonstrably wrong? In Linux, you say "Linux sucks" and go read the code. In Windows/Oracle/etc you say "Windows sucks" and start banging your head against the wall."
--- Denis Vlasenko on lkml

jst_joe

Excellent work EW!
@VastOne, I think this would make a good HowTo JMHO.
VSIDO
The view's not that bad you just have to punch the knothole out.