Best update procedures <SOLVED>

lwfitz

Just a quick question......

What are the best update habits for SID?

I have been updating with

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

once a week or so and seem to have  around 125 updates each week. Is once a week often enough to update? Or to often (if possible)?

Also is dist-upgrade still the recommended update command?

Thanks guys
Don't Be A Dick!

jst_joe

I use smxi which does dist-upgrade but have been running it every couple of days.
It seems that upgrades are coming more frequently now that Wheezy has become stable.
VSIDO
The view's not that bad you just have to punch the knothole out.

VastOne

Daily lwfitz, it is the only choice....

I have been running SID for a long time (5 years) and the absolute best thing you can do is daily updates to avoid massive updates and those dreaded dependency breakdowns

This is the main reason why I included aliases so that users can easily do them daily
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

blaze

If there is a massive amount of stuff when I want to do a dist-upgrade, is it then better to do an upgrade first, and the dist-upgrade after that?
blazingaway

VastOne

Good question blaze, but since I only use dist-upgrade I am not sure which is better

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

@ VastOne and jst_joe

Thanks guys. For safety sake Ill start updating daily  :)

@ Blaze

Thats a great question. Seems like that could really limit breakage or dependency issues.
Don't Be A Dick!

hinto

If you're tracking SID, you always want to do a dist-upgrade and not an upgrade.  You can think of an upgrade in SID like a brake in an ice storm.  Treat both like they don't exist.  ;)
-Hinto
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Sir Isaac Newton

VastOne

I dev VSIDO

blaze

ok, but if I am on lets say a 3.7.2 kernel and with a dist- upgrade will get a 3.9.8 kernel, is it still better to just do a dist-upgrade, and not an upgrade first, and after that do a dist-upgrade, I am talking massive upgrade with maybe 600 - 700 package upgrades, + 60 - 80 of new package installs?  and is it possible to do a sort of "safe upgrade" with apt-get, like you can do with aptitude?
blazingaway

hinto

On SID, you always want to do a dist-upgrade.
-Hinto
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Sir Isaac Newton

lwfitz

Quote from: hinto on July 01, 2013, 12:28:47 AM
If you're tracking SID, you always want to do a dist-upgrade and not an upgrade.  You can think of an upgrade in SID like a brake in an ice storm.  Treat both like they don't exist.  ;)
-Hinto

:D

Perfect, thanks Hinto.

Don't Be A Dick!

hinto

I ran a single install of Kanotix, when it was based on SID, for about 6 years using the h2 scripts, which are now called smxi.
-H