Finally downloading 32 bit

lwfitz

Ok well after weeks of saying Im gonna do it, I am finally downloading and installing the 32 bit ISO on an old Dell Dimension 2400 to use as a backup server in my office.
Ill update after its up and running.......

Edit:

Just burned ISO to a disk and it errored when I boot to the disk. So I DD'ed to USB and I got the same error. No UI or Boot. Trying to download again and will update if I get the same error (on multiple machines).
Also, I dowloaded via wget and file was 710.9mb. This time I am downloading again with wget and also directly

There seems to be an issue with the new 32 bit ISO........ Has anyone else had any issues with it?

Don't Be A Dick!

zbreaker

Wow, downloaded and installed a couple of days ago with zero issues. And to boot i burned the .iso to a formatted (about 15 times already) DVD-RW which is usually asking for trouble. Really wierd one you've got!

jedi

I've also dl'd the latest 32 bit and installed and tested and found no issues.  A few ISO's back there was an issue on boot that was a problem and it wouldn't boot.  Are you sure your getting the 04APRIL13 32 bit ISO?  After reading your post, I quickly ran an install in a VM again to be sure it worked and it installed perfectly...

I DID NOT burn to a cd or dvd.  I dd'd to a USB and installed it that way.  When the download (direct download) completed for me it was as follows;
Total Size: 678Mb (710934528 bytes)
Same for 'size on disk'...
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

jedi

OK, just dd'd again to USB, using the ISO from 04April, and rebooted, let it run and again, no issues...

Hope you get it figured out...  (on irc right now.  well not now, I went golfing...)
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

lwfitz

Thanks guys.

Yeah Im sure it was the newest ISO but I cannot guarantee that it didnt have something to do with the machine I was on.

I found an older ISO and attempted to install but ran into other issues. I couldnt boot with the default option so I attempted with failsafe
but the resolution was so bad I couldnt read anything on the installer.
Tonight I will try to get it booted correctly and update.

I downloaded multiple 32 bit images last night and had the same problem with all of them.

Direct download doesnt work properly for me, it ALWAYS quits right around 150mb so I have to download via wget.
Don't Be A Dick!

VastOne

Quote from: lwfitz on June 07, 2013, 08:49:34 PM
Direct download doesnt work properly for me, it ALWAYS quits right around 150mb so I have to download via wget.

I sure as heck would like to know what this issue is... It makes no sense to me whatsoever why some get it fine and others stop at the same spot
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

Yeah it really is very odd. Ive tried downloading at home and in my office and both fail in the same place........

Maybe its our cheap SoCal internet  :D
Don't Be A Dick!

jedi

Very weird indeed.  I've only used the wget way one time.  That was just to be sure it worked that way, and I'd never tried wget!  Newb alert!!!  So wget worked, and I've never used it since.  Direct download is how I've gotten the last several ISO's for testing...
Forum Netiquette

lwfitz

Finally installed and 100% perfect!

Installed on and old Dell Dimension E310
Pentium 4HT w/ 2gb ddr2

With systemd this machine boots up faster than my ssd does. I need to clock it to get an exact time
but its right at 6 seconds with a memory usage of only 44mb! Fantastic job VastOne!
Don't Be A Dick!

VastOne

^ Good to hear lwfitz!... Do you think your earlier issues were a bad download?
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

Thanks, yeah Im convinced it was bad downloads. I tested on machines that are currently running VSIDO and I got the same error on all of them.
Oh well it works now  ;D
Don't Be A Dick!