Firefox

Dodge Ram

I have been running iceweasel and have been running into some web site problems such as java not enabled. I look in the preferences and it is enabled. I have tried a few times to get firefox 21.0 working and I just cannot seem to get it to work. Can anyone tell me how to get the latest Firefox into the Software Sources so I can install it in the terminal? Thanks

VastOne

You can not do that with a Debian based system due to the branding issues that FF and Debian agreed on which keeps FF out of Debian repos

What you can do is download the version you want and extract it and run it... there are several How To's on getting this done, including several on #!
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

These issues with Iceweasel are not NoScript/Adblock or any other plugin related are they?

Can you post some of the links you are having issues with so I can test them?

I dev VSIDO

Dodge Ram

It was videos and some music download links and of course I can't find them now.

lwfitz

But if you absolutely NEED Firefox you can add it using Mints Repos:

Add

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com debian import

to /etc/apt/sources.list

Run

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install firefox

Don't Be A Dick!

VastOne

^ That is possible but will most likely remove a boatload of SID packages in the process... You would need to be very careful with pinning it correctly to get it to not remove things..

Have you done this on VSIDO lwfitz?

I dev VSIDO

jedi

In "all" my dealings with Iceweasel, especially the ones with the java needing to be enabled messages, it has always "100%" of the time been Noscript or Adblock.  Both of which can be disabled temporarily or permanently depending on the website your at, and whether or not you personally "trust" the site your on.  I generally disable it for that page and it corrects all issues.  However, I'm a little 'trusting' of Linux in that it is pretty reliably safe when it comes to malware and spyware and such.  So, that said, I generally disable both for the site that is giving me that message and enjoy what I went there to enjoy.  TPB is a prime example of this!
Now back out to continue building my "Ark" as we are being drowned in a deluge of biblical proportion up here...
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

VastOne

My philosophy with NoScript is to only use Temporarily allow all this page until I trust the site completely

I dev VSIDO

jedi

Quote from: VastOne on May 26, 2013, 08:34:38 PM
My philosophy with NoScript is to only use Temporarily allow all this page until I trust the site completely

Your philosophy is the correct one and the one that I also practice and should have clearly mentioned in my post!  Both are easily accomplished simply clicking the the little icons at the bottom of the Iceweasel browser window.
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

Dodge Ram

Quote from: VastOne on May 26, 2013, 01:39:03 PM
These issues with Iceweasel are not NoScript/Adblock or any other plugin related are they?

Can you post some of the links you are having issues with so I can test them?

http://kingrealtycountry.com/     I cannot fill in the search fields

VastOne

I could not either until I told NoScript to Temporarily allow all this page

Once I did that, I could enter them all

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

Quote from: VastOne on May 26, 2013, 04:02:19 PM
^ That is possible but will most likely remove a boatload of SID packages in the process... You would need to be very careful with pinning it correctly to get it to not remove things..

Have you done this on VSIDO lwfitz?

Yeah I did it and it worked perfect. I didnt install mints key so I got the gpg key error when I updated apt but as far as the install it all went perfect and nothing was removed that I remember.
Ill switch machines and check
Don't Be A Dick!

VastOne

^ Excellent to hear that... thanks for reporting it

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

After adding the mind repo to my source list, this is the output when installing firefox

luke@VSIDO-FX:~$ sudo apt-get install firefox
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  firefox-l10n-en-us
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  firefox firefox-l10n-en-us
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 327 not upgraded.
Need to get 27.9 MB of archives.
After this operation, 56.6 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

Don't Be A Dick!