VSIDO installation query

Gordon

Hi

I have just tried to install VSIDO on my machine, It would have install ok I think but I could only see my hard drives. I have created an lv called vsido on which I wanted to install the distro and have no desire to wipe out all my other LV's. Have I panicked to soon and crashed out or is there something else I am supposed to do first ?  :(

any help or info please
Cheers :D
Gordon
Gigabyte Motherboard GA-MA69G-S3H , 8 Gb Ram, Realtek RX550 Graphics,  VSIDO

fatmac

I'm new to VSIDO, but I've found out that I had to create the partitions in a tty using fdisk, before the installer would see them. Might work for you, I don't use LVM.
Linux since 1999
Distros: Debian, Crunchbang, AntiX, & now VSIDO

Gordon

Hi fatmac,

Thanks for the reply, I have created an LV called vsido which I wanted to install it on but I can't get gparted to see it, also it says quit gparted and it will carry on, I assumed with the install, but all it does is quit so I will have to wait for someone who knows LVM to tell me how to do it or not install it at all which would be a pity as it looks quite nice.
Gordon

fatmac

Quote from: Gordon on May 23, 2013, 05:27:37 PM
Hi fatmac,

Thanks for the reply, I have created an LV called vsido which I wanted to install it on but I can't get gparted to see it, also it says quit gparted and it will carry on, I assumed with the install, but all it does is quit so I will have to wait for someone who knows LVM to tell me how to do it or not install it at all which would be a pity as it looks quite nice.
That installer behaviour was what was happening to me, is it possible to mount that LV in a tty & partition it?
Linux since 1999
Distros: Debian, Crunchbang, AntiX, & now VSIDO

Gordon

Hi fatman,

The answer to that is I have no idea and if I could I wouldn't know how to proceed anyway
Gordon

ew

Do you know if your disk uses the gpt-table, or ms-dos? From what you are writing I assume that you have other working distros running on the same disk/pc? Is that correct? Like Crunchbang or some other distro with GParted? I seem to remember you from the #!-forum, so I assume that you have a working #!-install on this pc. If you do, then launch Crunchbang....

Then launch GParted. Select the disk in question(if you got more than one disk). Then look at the menu on the top. Click "View", and then mark "Device Information". Now you should get the Device Information in the left pane of your GParted-window... Look at "Partition Table". If it says "gpt", then you are probably out of luck, because the current installer doesn`t support gpt. If it says "ms-dos", then you should be able to install VSIDO...

If it says "gpt", you would need to delete all partitions and create a ms-dos table... You would loose all your other installs, and have to start from scratch, but it would work for all the distros.... So whether to do it or not, depends on whether you want to start from scratch with all your distros, or if you find it better to wait until the VSIDO-installer supports gpt. If Vastone gets the Debian-installer to work with VSIDO, then you will be able to install VSIDO without touching your other partitions or distros... It`s up to you:)
-ew
-----------------------------
"What happens when you read some doc and either it doesn't answer your question or is demonstrably wrong? In Linux, you say "Linux sucks" and go read the code. In Windows/Oracle/etc you say "Windows sucks" and start banging your head against the wall."
--- Denis Vlasenko on lkml

Gordon

Hi ew,

Thanks for the reply and explanation. Yes I have Windows XP ( yuk ) for the good lady Crunchbang Testing and Crunchbang Sid Installed on my hard drives. XP is on its own drive though. I will check out what you say and then probably wait a while if its says gpt, that is until I get impatient and want VSIDO installed. anyway thanks for the reply and your time. I will let you know later what it says
Gordon

Gordon

Hi ew,

As promised just to keep you informed it says all my devices are ms-dos, I don't know how because I formated them all as ext4. anyway I will try again
Gordon

lwfitz

Ms-dos is just the partition table and can still be formatted as Ext4 (or ext3, ext2..... blah blah blah). Its just the way the drive is set up. From my experience drives with an ms-dos partition table are more compatible and easier to work with in Debian than Gpt is.

Check this out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

Don't Be A Dick!

Gordon

Hi lwfitz

Thanks for that Read some of that article but got baffled the more I read, needless to say I will wait until VSIDO works lie #! does. Unless I have a major screw up and have to start everything from scratch again. I just tried again to install VSIDO again and it insists that I format my drive even though it says it is an ms-dos drive already.
Gordon

ew

Well, if it says that you have a ms-dos disk, then there is one thing you could try. When the VSIDO installer launches Gparted to edit partitions, then delete the partitions you have created for VSIDO, and  use the new unallocated space to create a new root and a new swap partition for VSIDO. Perhaps the installer will recognize the partitions, if they are being created during the install. Seems like there is a issue recognizing pre-created partitions...

Don`t know if it will work, but it`s worth a try...
-ew
-----------------------------
"What happens when you read some doc and either it doesn't answer your question or is demonstrably wrong? In Linux, you say "Linux sucks" and go read the code. In Windows/Oracle/etc you say "Windows sucks" and start banging your head against the wall."
--- Denis Vlasenko on lkml

Gordon

Hi ew, #! sees my partitions OK and I am loath to delete or reformat my disks as I have no idea what partitions are where as lvm doesn't appear to say when I do lvdisplay. I think I will have to wait as I don't know enough about Linux or how it works. There again I could back up my pics and docs to a usb drive and start all over again
Gordon

Gordon

Hi All,

Final post on VSIDO for the foreseeable future. I tried to install VSIDO again and it did something or I did something and it totally messed up my system so had to do a complete reinstall. Set everything up again and created a 10 GB partition format fat 32 for VSIDO, it found it divided it up for root and then it would,t find the rest of the partition again so until VastOne incorporates the same installation style as #! then for me VSIDO is a no no I'm sorry to say  :(

So for the time being I'll say cheerio and hope to catch you all down the line
Gordon

VastOne

Hey Gordon, thanks for the input... I am working with machinebacon over at LinuxBBQ to forge a new installer based on how they are doing it

I have been frustrated with the installer for quite some time, and will get it corrected.  I will also let you know via email when it is competed

I appreciate your honesty and help

VastOne
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Gordon

Hi VastOne

Thanks for that and i am looking forward to your email. I wouldn't have thought that I had been any help though, all I have done is moan about not being able to get it to work.  :)

catch you later
Gordon