A little feedback again:)

ew

Hi Vastone,

I`ve tried the newest ISO, I never give up, as I really want to run VSIDO. Well, I booted the live-cd with some adjustment to the kernel-parameters. I`m used to that, and need to do it for all new kernels, so that`s ok. Not a VSIDO-issue, not a Debian-issue, but a Linux-issue that applies to every distro with new kernels on my hardware.

As for the installer, I see that swap is still required, and that`s fine. I created a root-partition, and a swap-partition, but when I closed GParted, the installer couldn`t detect any swap, and I had no other choice than to quit the installation. I assume that the issue is as before, that the installer(remastersys) doesn`t detect gpt-partitions. I`m, not using EFI anymore, but I`m still using GPT, and that seems to be incompatible with the VSIDO-installer/ remastersys. If anyone has successfully installed VSIDO on a GPT-disk, then I would like to know how they did it, besides the obvious, which is to convert the disk to MBR. I would do that if I was to run VSIDO exclusively on my disk, but as we all know. I`m running several distros, and several installs of the same distro...

So just give me a shout if at any point there are changes in the installer or remastersys, that makes it likely that gpt-partitions will be detected, and I will have another go at it..., because I really, really like VSIDO, and want it to be my primary xfce-distro :)

-ew
-----------------------------
"What happens when you read some doc and either it doesn't answer your question or is demonstrably wrong? In Linux, you say "Linux sucks" and go read the code. In Windows/Oracle/etc you say "Windows sucks" and start banging your head against the wall."
--- Denis Vlasenko on lkml

VastOne

I am actively pursuing a different installer and now that the experimental apps are finally making it to SID since the freeze ended, I think Debians installer may be made to work with VSIDO /SID in the future

I do appreciate this feedback and will let you know as soon as this is resolved

Thanks ew!
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

ew

OK. That`s nice. I guess you need another solution anyway, because OS4 continues remastersys, and they will without a doubt fix the efi/gpt-issue, but it looks like they are on a standstill, awaiting that Fragadelic releases  the source code.... http://system-imaging.blogspot.no/

-ew
"What happens when you read some doc and either it doesn't answer your question or is demonstrably wrong? In Linux, you say "Linux sucks" and go read the code. In Windows/Oracle/etc you say "Windows sucks" and start banging your head against the wall."

fatmac

Not quite sure if this will be relevant to your problem.
Being a first timer to VSIDO, I found problems with the installer.
What I did was open a tty, sudo su to root, run fdisk /dev/sda, deleted all partitions, created a new empty dos partition label, created new partitions, wrote them out to disk, went back to X & re ran the installer, & it worked for me. (May21 64bit)
Linux since 1999
Distros: Debian, Crunchbang, AntiX, & now VSIDO

fatmac

As a bit of feedback to VastOne.
I would like to be able to install without having to need a swap partition.
Linux since 1999

apprentice

Quote from: VastOneI think Debians installer may be made to work with VSIDO /SID in the future

now that is indeed some good news
it ain't pretty but the old text-expert is still my favorite

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out.

ew

Quote from: fatmac on May 22, 2013, 02:48:38 PM
Not quite sure if this will be relevant to your problem.
Being a first timer to VSIDO, I found problems with the installer.
What I did was open a tty, sudo su to root, run fdisk /dev/sda, deleted all partitions, created a new empty dos partition label, created new partitions, wrote them out to disk, went back to X & re ran the installer, & it worked for me. (May21 64bit)

Yes, that would work. What you actually did, was to delete all partition, and converted your disk to dos instead of gpt. The problem is that the installer doesn`t recognice partitions on a gpt-disk. It`s a issue of remastersys. The developer wouldn`t support gpt and/or EFI, because he personally didn`t see any need for it. He thought that it was something that would blow over, instead of becoming the new inddustry-standard like it without a doubt is turning out to be.

Anyway, If I wanted to start from scratch again, I could blank my harddrive, convert it to ms-dos, create all the partitions I would like to have, and then install VSIDO. No problems with that. My issue is that I`m going to install VSIDO into a SSD where I`m already running 3 other distros on GPT. It`s not possible to mix gpt and dos-partitions on the same disk, so therefore I have no way of installing VSIDO into my system as it is.

I could convert to dos, and use only dos-partitions and bios-boot, and that way I would be able to run all my distros on the same hdd. But I feel it gets totally wrong to change all my other distros to use old technology, just to be able to install VSIDO. Especially when VSIDO is based on Sid, and therefore should be able to use all the newest standards.

But it`s not a VSIDO issue. If Vastone gets the Debian-installer to work with VSIDO, then the problem is solved, and VSIDO will become the cutting-edge distro that it is in all other regards..... Then it also will be possible to install VSIDO without a swap partition, and it will be possible to set mount-points for existing partitions during install. Everything will automatically fall in place with the Debian-installer. Then VSIDO will be able to do a native uefi/gpt install ootb...

But personally I like best the installer that Crunchbang and lots of other Debian-distros use. It`s perfect... Easy and flexible..., even though it can not do a uefi-install ootb. I could live with the Crunchbang installer in VSIDO. LInux-bbq is another distro that`s very smooth to install. Maybe Vastone could check with machinebacon how he does it, because linux-bbq is very easy to take snapshots of and create new iso-images, kind of like with remastersys, but bbq has no issue with gpt or any swap requirements, because they use the easiest and best installer that exists.
-ew

ew

Quote from: fatmac on May 22, 2013, 02:51:30 PM
As a bit of feedback to VastOne.
I would like to be able to install without having to need a swap partition.

That issue will solve itself if we get the Debian-installer to work with VSIDO.
-ew

fatmac

Thanks for the feedback ew - as I mainly only install one distro per machine it never worried me whether I used dos or gpt partitioning, I didn't realise that was the source of my problem. I shall have to be more aware of gpt partitioning in future.
Linux since 1999

ozitraveller

I also have gpt partitions.

I find that when I'm installing in a VM gparted flashes on then disappears never to return. I could partition before I start the install, which I have done.

No criticism of VSIDO implied btw. ;) I hope VastOne manages to get a solution he is happy with.

ew

Quote from: fatmac on May 24, 2013, 09:01:37 AM
Thanks for the feedback ew - as I mainly only install one distro per machine it never worried me whether I used dos or gpt partitioning, I didn't realise that was the source of my problem. I shall have to be more aware of gpt partitioning in future.

Yes, then I`m quite different :) I tend to install 5-6 distros per pc. I always have 2-3 distros in different flavours that get to stay on the pc, and another 2-3 partitions reserved for distrohopping and testing of alfa-releases and things like that.
-ew

Neon_Riots

I'd also support the ability to not create a swap partition as well as not having to install grub.

ew

Hi Vastone,  I`m just checking in to see if there are any development in regards to the installer. I saw in another post, that Phillip was a bit reluctant to share the big secrets. I`ve never built anything before, so I can not assist you there, but as I`ve always thought about building my own iso, and as I find it a bit to easy with linuxbbq and their snapshot-tool, I searched for another solution and came across this page. http://live.debian.net/manual/3.x/html/live-manual.en.html

Doesn`t it contain most of what I would need to build a custom live/hybrid-iso with the Debian installer included, or even better, to add the Debian installer to the VSIDO iso? I guess probably not, because then you probably would have done it already:) Anyway, is that page a nice place to start learning the basics, or do you have a better tutorial available? Don`t worry, I will never release anything, so I`m no competition, not now, not ever. It would just be fun to make my own iso:)
-ew

VastOne

I have worked with Debian Live quite a bit and find it lacking in many ways... For the longest time it simply would not work with SID, and I have not tried it since wheezy went stable

I am satisfied for now with the current installer but will continue to work on finding a replacement

I have spoke with machinebacon about theirs but have not had any luck there either
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

ew

Quote from: VastOne on June 19, 2013, 01:36:55 AM
I have worked with Debian Live quite a bit and find it lacking in many ways... For the longest time it simply would not work with SID, and I have not tried it since wheezy went stable

I am satisfied for now with the current installer but will continue to work on finding a replacement

I have spoke with machinebacon about theirs but have not had any luck there either

I guess you are not alone by lacking efi/gpt-support. I went over to Linux Mint to download Olivia with mate, but while I was there, I saw that LM Debian Edition didn`t support efi/gpt either, so I`m not sure whether this answer is in the installer, or some other packages missing. It`s a bit strange that Mint supports gpt/efi for all versions except the Debian-edition, especially since Debian itself supports it...
-ew