VSIDO Debian ISO's updated 2013-May-15 19:55 CST

VastOne

VSIDO Debian ISO's updated 2013-May-15 19:55 CST

Both ISO's were updated, built, installed, tested and uploaded with no issues this evening

Removed gFTP

Corrected minor menu issues

Updated everything to current SID levels
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

jedi

No, these are the regular ISO's just updated to current Sid levels...
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

VastOne

There are no plans to be a FB only distro... It was something kicked around for discussions of the bigger picture

There is nothing but 10 MiB on the ISO that separates a quality 3 DE version VSIDO than just a single DE

There could be a lot more discussion of OB and XFCE users IMO, even to help promote or suggest enhancements

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

There are no plans to be a FB only distro... It was something kicked around for discussions of the bigger picture

There is nothing but 10 MiB on the ISO that separates a quality 3 DE version VSIDO than just a single DE

There could be a lot more discussion of OB and XFCE users IMO, even to help promote or suggest enhancements

I dev VSIDO

fatmac

Sorry to upset the applecart, but I downloaded the i386 .iso today using wget -c, & upon attempting to boot from a dd'd pendrive &/or from qemu, I get :-

ISOLINUX 4.02 debian-20101014 EHDD Copyright (C) 1994-2010 H. Peter Anvin et al
No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!
boot:

Then it just hangs.
(Couldn't see an MD5sum anywhere to check the download.)
Edit: Just found them via another thread; will check.

First download via wget c http://vsido.org/debian/vsido_v1-2_3.8_Kernel_i386.iso

2b138175fd91e8a3560b2999a5eecfe5  vsido_v1-2_3.8_Kernel_i386.iso - official md5sum
be1c532ba74f46f6c45e4f2aca68dd48  vsido_v1-2_3.8_Kernel_i386.iso - mine

Second time download from http://vsido.org/template/index.html forum page link

be1c532ba74f46f6c45e4f2aca68dd48  vsido_v1-2_3.8_Kernel_i386.iso - 2nd d/l mine
2b138175fd91e8a3560b2999a5eecfe5  vsido_v1-2_3.8_Kernel_i386.iso - 2nd d/l md5sum official

Any idea why I'm not getting a good download; not had problems with other distros downloaded over my connection, don't normally have to even check md5sums.
Linux since 1999
Distros: Debian, Crunchbang, AntiX, & now VSIDO

fatmac

Have downloaded the 64bit .iso & dd'd it to pendrive, just to see if there were any problems with that one.
It is just now running (live) on my AAO722, there seem to be a few programs I am unfamiliar with, but looks nice. However, it runs _very_ slowly on this machine.  :'(
(AMD C50 dual core 1GHz, 2gb ram, 128gb SSD.)
Linux since 1999

fatmac

I guess I'll wait & try the next version of the 32bit, whenever that will be.  :)
Linux since 1999

VastOne

I just got back from a mini vacation... let me look at whats going on and I will get back to you later today or early tomorrow

Sorry about the issues and delays in my responses

I dev VSIDO

fatmac

No rush.
Today I wiped a 64bit laptop that had Antix 13 beta3 on it to try out VSIDO 64bit, runs live, but no way does it want to install. The installer, gparted & fdisk just crash. the disk is already partitioned, & if I try to exit from gparted it either crashes or goes back & says no swap partition found.
I know SID is 'unstable', & it does seem to be throwing tantrums just now, from what I can see.
Even Wheezy has been less than 'stable' for some, I believe.
Linux since 1999

VastOne

What is happening when it crashes?  Is it just nothing?  I see that on my multi disk system... a 3 minute delay (to the second) after I exit gparted and then another 3 minute delay after filling out all the user/root/password information and before the file system is installed

I do not think it is a SID issue, since I tested it and it ran fine... I believe jedi also tested without issues

What I will do is create and test new ISO's today.  I will let you know on this thread when they are done

I dev VSIDO

fatmac

Look forward to trying the new .iso's when ready.  :)

Edit: I didn't wait 3 mins (!!!), might give it another try later.
Linux since 1999

fatmac

Had another 3 tries at installing 64bit. No joy. (md5sums are a match)

try1 - didn't go to gparted, went to Exit:Quit Installer, waited 6 mins, hdd activity led flashed every 2 seconds, otherwise, just nothing.

try2 - gparted flashed on screen before getting Exit:Quit Installer, same 2 second flash of hdd led, still nothing after 9 mins.

try3 - went to a tty, sudo su, ran fdisk & wrote partitioning to disk, returned to X & retried to install, gparted flashed on screen, went to Exit:Quit Installer again.

Will wait & download the next releases to try.
Linux since 1999

jedi

Hey fatmac!  Sorry to hear about your problems.  I've grabbed both the latest ISO's (32 and 64 bit) and have installed them with no issues.
Just a couple of questions about your setup.  First, does either laptop have the Optimus graphics setup?  Second, are either of them setup to use GPT partitioning with Secure Boot in UEFI BIOS?
If yes to the first question, then let me know.  There are some work-arounds by editing the Grub entries on boot.  If yes to the second, the UEFI/GPT scheme requires grub-efi-64 which will wipe the regular Grub2 which in turn wipes Remastersys which VSIDO install requires.
If no to both of these questions, I'd try on a newly cleaned/erased hdd, and let the installer lead you through the partitioning.  I've seen the swap issue once, but found it was because I had a second USB device plugged in and charging (Apple iPod).  It totally would not see the swap partition while it was plugged in.
Also when the installer first starts, and tells you it is going to start gparted, that is the time to do "all" your partitioning including creating the 'swap' partition.  As you've found, VSIDO requires the swap partition in order to continue with the install, and will not continue until one is chosen.
I'd be very curious to know if either of the two ISO's you've downloaded worked on a fresh hdd, using the gparted tool when it first comes up to do your partitioning.
Good luck, and know that there are enough of us here who have hundreds of VSIDO installs under our "collective" belts to get you through this!
Welcome to VSIDO, and know, we can get this issue resolved for you...
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

VastOne

The x86 is uploading now and has 50 minutes remaining.... as soon as that is done I will start the x64 and that should be done by 9:30pm CST

I dev VSIDO