Interesting post by the Good Doctor xaos52 on CrunchBang

VastOne

VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

jst_joe

And here I thought it was something I did.  :D
It took me an hour or two yesterday to get things figured out and working again.
I mean really if I wanted stable I sure wouldn't be here. ;D
VSIDO
The view's not that bad you just have to punch the knothole out.

VastOne

I should have posted the issue and fix here jst_joe... I figured if anyone was hit with it, it would pop up in a post here and I would answer it...  My BAD   :'(

It was actually pretty lame how it happened, not to put too much shit on the dev, but to bring down a network with an update that has not been fully gleaned is bush league...

I dev VSIDO

jst_joe

When I first started messing with computers (dos, windows 3.1) I broke things on a regular basis.  :D
Nothing but a thang, that's how you learn.
VSIDO
The view's not that bad you just have to punch the knothole out.

blaze

A little question, could it be an idea to have a sort of pay attention thread here, with be careful when performing update/upgrade today, so users could check/post a warning, maybe scare other Vsidoers to wait a day or two before jumping? Or does it exist? Hmmm that became two questions, oh and have done only one upgrade after the Debian "meltdown", so far so good.
blazingaway

jedi

I did an update/upgrade yesterday (050913) and it "upgraded" 235 items.

Usually if you follow VastOne's "VSIDO Debian ISO's updated 2013-May-06 20:19 CST" threads, which he posts anytime there's an updated ISO, any of us who have been testing will be posting pretty regularly our experiences at that thread to keep things as organized as possible.

I answered yes to every "bug" question, and all is performing spectacularly!  That included upgrades to Xorg, and Grub2 as well.

There were way too many to list here, but I thought those two were important ones to me, and even with it reporting a 'bug' in the grub2 upgrade, I told it Yes, to do the upgrade and all is running well.  With all the work I did on 'testing' the new ISO, I must have rebooted a dozen times or more easily and never had an error on any partition.

This was on a brand new install, as well as an update/upgrade to an existing VSIDO partition. (My main 'go to' partition)

I may have some "smxi" related questions for later today though, we'll see...
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

blaze

Mucho thanks jedi, commanded an upgrade, had the grub2 bug warning + it wanted to remove some libgl1 mesa stuff, yeah I chickened out this time, will retry later this weekend.
I do have some very  :'( experiences from when running Sid when Squeeze went stable, so I will try to be a little bit more cautiuos this time.
blazingaway

VastOne

Jedi, I am not sure what is going on with your updates and needing 235 items!  Do you update daily, weekly, monthly?  I dist-upgrade daily, sometimes several times a day without issues...

@blaze, that is a great idea for a thread... I will post anything I see and learn about when it happens again to kick it off

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

^ OK, I stand very corrected... I just got back from a 3 day Golf (heaven) trip and did an dist-upgrade to find 150 new packages...

SID is getting hammered ... I knew this would happen!

I will keep everyone updated on anything that comes up

I dev VSIDO

jedi

Yes it had been a while since I'd dist-upgraded!  But yes, Sid is hammering hard right now...
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

blaze

Decided to take the leap this morning, despite the grub bug, all seems well, the only thing is that I`ve got a waning that says ;

(gtk-update-icon-cache:19095): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache': No such file or directory

This likely means that your installation is broken.
Try running the command
  gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders > /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache
to make things work again for the time being.

Googled it. but did not get much wiser, ran the suggested command, have not had any trouble, yet.
blazingaway

blaze

Quote from: jedi on May 12, 2013, 03:02:37 AMSid is hammering hard right now...

Yeah, just like a fresh Ubuntu release  ;D

Sorry for the offtopic, but could not resist.
blazingaway

VastOne

^ Indeed like that!

Still seeing some updates, but it has calmed down in the last few days

I dev VSIDO