Setting up LVM

ozitraveller

I'm just wondering whether anyone has any experience with LVM? I don't know much about it but it looks like something I should be using. I have an SSD and a HDD and I have just done a clean build, so before I go too far now would be a time to change. Can I just have /home setup on LVM? Are there any downsides?

Cheers
Ozi

VastOne

^ I agree and want to use it as well.. I would not mind collaborating on this with you and anyone else interested to get it setup on VSIDO and then do a write up about it
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

ozitraveller

Excellent! here is a starting point.

Debian Sid / Wheezy Netinstall with LVM – Network Installation Guide
http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2012/debian-unstable-testing-netinstall/

:)

VastOne

^ I want to be able to setup LVM on a current install ... I am wondering if that is possible

I dev VSIDO

ozitraveller

My current thoughts are that it would be possible by adding another drive and setup LVM on it, and then start moving stuff to it and the recommissioning existing drives to LVM, arranging your stuff as you go as LVM gets bigger. Rather than smoke everything and start again.

I haven't tried this, I'm just assuming it will work.

VastOne

I have 3 drives in this system and I also have several fsarchiver backups of the absolute most critical one (the VSIDO build partition)

So I can do that... I will start the process tomorrow, it is supposed to rain! (no golf)

I dev VSIDO

ozitraveller

What are you afraid of getting wet? ;)

I'm assuming that LVM can't be overlayed on an existing partitioned drive. I'd like to know if someone has any ideas about this too.

ozitraveller

Some useful stuff!

The monumental #! LVM guide - el_koraco
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=19411

ozitraveller

ZFS might be also a possibility too.

QuoteZFS is a combined file system and logical volume manager designed by Sun Microsystems. The features of ZFS include protection against data corruption, support for high storage capacities, integration of the concepts of filesystem and volume management, snapshots and copy-on-write clones, continuous integrity checking and automatic repair, RAID-Z and native NFSv4 ACLs. ZFS is implemented as open-source software, licensed under the Common Development and Distribution License (CDDL). The ZFS name was registered as a trademark of Oracle until September 20, 2011

http://linuxaria.com/pills/zfs-is-ready-for-your-linux-desktop?lang=en

dizzie

ZFS on Linux? Good luck! you're going to need a lot of it (oh and do take backups, to a few disks and cds)
Reclaim your culture, it's within your reach!

My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | G+ | VSIDO |

ozitraveller

Hi dizzie that's what I thought too! Just thought I'd throw it into the mix, and then wait for someone else to try. ;)

hinto

I'm still not sure why LVM is good. (maybe for restore points?)  At least once a week I wish I had repartitioned away LVM when I blew away RHEL.
-Hinto
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Sir Isaac Newton

VastOne

^ Thats the same way I feel about it... fsarchiver does an unbelievable job in archiving and restoring my critical systems and it takes less than 30 seconds for each one.. I have my critical systems at less that 1 gig so I can throw them on a usb and restore them anywhere...

It is by far the most effective Disaster Recovery tool I have ever used, and I spent a career working in Disaster Recovery

I dev VSIDO

dizzie

Quote from: ozitraveller on April 11, 2013, 11:29:17 PM
Hi dizzie that's what I thought too! Just thought I'd throw it into the mix, and then wait for someone else to try. ;)
My ZFS guide : http://fredslev.dk/2012/zfs-2-drives-mirrored/
Reclaim your culture, it's within your reach!

My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | G+ | VSIDO |

ozitraveller

Excellent well done thanks dizzie. :)