Install VSIDO into VirtualBox

ozitraveller

I'm setting up a test VM for VSIDO. I read the install instructions. I have a freshly created vm. I can select a partition to install into but then don't get gparted at all. And then I get asked to select a partition for swap.

I should be creating partitions prior to attempting installing then?

Has anyone setup VSIDO in VB?

Cheers
Ozi :)

VastOne

Yes, you should have a partition for swap..

I have not setup VSIDO in VB but several users have who can help you with what they did
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

jedi is the guy who can tell you about running VSIDO in VB. From what he has said though, its fantastic. As far as the actual install, it should be pretty much the same as a native install would be.
Don't Be A Dick!

jedi

Hey ozitraveller, yes it is as simple as a regular install would be.  Create a new VM, create the vdi file, (the actual "Hard Drive" that the VM see's) and in your settings, make sure your drives are such that you can point to the actual iso of VSIDO.  Start it up and just pretend your on a regular install.  Should go perfect.  Remember when your in the VM, all the stuff you do during the live boot, the install of VSIDO, is all happening on a file on you hdd.  Not affecting the actual hdd, just the vdi file you created when setting up the VM.  If you have any questions, just let me know.
Perhaps I'll create a step by step How To for this.  VM's are a handy way for people to see if they'll like a distro!
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

ozitraveller

Hey jedi! Thanks for the quick reply. ;)
I got to the point of selecting the drive to install and was expecting gparted to then display but it didn't. And when straight to the asking for swap info.

The problem is that gparted didn't start and allow me to create the partition, the rest of the install was therefore a failure.

I've used Vb many times over the years, and I've already created a win7 vm on the new pc yesterday.

:)

VastOne

Interesting... I have never seen a normal install not bring up gparted.  It should be there right after you select what device you want to install to

I dev VSIDO

jedi

Ozitraveller, I'll take a look at this in depth tomorrow.  Right in the middle of another test deal right now.  I'll have a better or maybe even a definitive answer/solution for you then.  Like VastOne says, I've never seen a VSIDO install not bring up the gparted screen.  Let me do some looking!

Jed
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

ozitraveller

I'm in the middle of testing too, checking the workflow our national schools assessment! ;)

I thought I might download the iso again in the mean time.

VastOne

^ Do that because I updated the ISO today

I dev VSIDO

ozitraveller

Excellent thanks VO i'll do that!

I want to test FB further, it's lightening fast on new box!

:)

VastOne

Glad to hear that!  I would check out installing systemd to make it even faster since it is a new install.  There is a How To for systemd here

I dev VSIDO

ozitraveller

Excellent thanks V1! I'll put the debian kernel back and give er a shot! I thinks it's about 10sec boot time already, so this could give me "instant on" !  :o

jedi

Hey ozitraveller, just so you know, VastOne absolutely can't stand to be called VO or V1 (or V2,3,4,5,6 etc...)  He may crawl through your internet connection and install Windows ME on you new machine just for spite!!!   :D ??? :D
Forum Netiquette