Long urls in mutt

GrouchyGaijin

Hi Guys,

I figured that since Mutt is included in VSIDO someone might have an answer about a problem I've noticed with Mutt.
I am using Mutt-patched from the Ubuntu repository (Yes, I am one of the unwashed.)
Anyway, it works really well except that if a url extends to multiple lines, Mutt can't figure it out and clicking leads to a page not found error.

I tried copying the url, but when I highlight the lines with the url I end up copying a bunch of other stuff that is not in the url (like part of the list of folders in the Mutt side panel, for example).

Does anyone know a way to deal with long urls aside from opening up Thunderbird?

Thanks for any advice, I really appreciate it.
Thank you,

GG

Sector11

Stay Home

GrouchyGaijin

@Sector_11 My bad - ICEWEASEL

On a serious note, I don't follow how tiny url would work for incoming mail.  I see that you can make a long url into a short one and then send it in email, post to Twitter etc.  What I need though is to be able to click links that are in mail other people send to me.
Thank you,

GG

Sector11

@ GrouchyGaijin

Oh that's a different animal and to date I don't have an answer.

Google: long urls in mutt

Maybe these will help:
Stay Home

GrouchyGaijin

It looks like urlview will do the trick.
Hitting ctrl+B brings up a list of urls in a message that I can click on

I'll know if it really works the next time I get a long url.
Thank you,

GG

Sector11

check your email - just sent one.
Stay Home

GrouchyGaijin

Thanks - still chokes on the long urls.   :'(
Thank you,

GG

Sector11

I wonder how mutt survived as long as this with that problem.  That a critical part of emails.

hmmmmm
Stay Home

GrouchyGaijin

Well there is a program in the repository called urlscan which is meant as a replacement to urlview.
Urlscan seems to work with long urls.  It is weird though, I hit Ctrl+B and up comes a list of urls in the message.
If I highlight one and hit enter, I get an error message:
< [17799:17824:0330/195717:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(624)] Failed to get name owner. Got org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Could not get owner of name 'org.chromium.Mtpd': no such name
                             [17799:17824:0330/195717:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(624)] Failed to get name owner. Got org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Could not get owner of name 'org.chromium.Mtpd': no such name
                                                        [17799:17799:0330/195718:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(529)] Failed to call method: org.chromium.Mtpd.EnumerateStorages: object_path= /org/chromium/Mtpd: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.chromium.Mtpd was not provided by any .service files

but then the browser opens up and takes me to the link.
Thank you,

GG