Greetings Earthlings

Colonel Panik

Line up! 
Larry sent me, Larry the Free Software Guy aka Larry the #! Guy.
13 years of GNOME, can I do this?  Stand by for questions.

VastOne

Welcome Colonel Panik, we are glad to have you

Hopefully the download ended and the install went well...

:)

VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Sector11

HEY!  You there, Colonel Panik, careful who you call Earthling!  ;D

Welcome to our Sector of the Universe regardless of that slip!
ooooo that was bad!
Stay Home

jedi

Welcome Colonel Panik!  I hope my wget instructions didn't steer you wrong!  You'll find us a very awesome community, as well as having a really great distro!  And like Sector11 says, who says we're from Earth?
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

jefsview

Hi, Colonel Panik (love the nomenclature).

If you like Debian, then you're going to love VSIDO. By all means, USE the wget commands to download, or else you'll only have a shell. Wget works every time.

-- Jeff

VastOne

I need to have some of you who are having download issues run some type of a sniffer to see what is going on.  It is random and very difficult to trace from my end

It makes no sense...

I dev VSIDO

Sector11

have no idea what a sniffer is ... but since I started using:
alias wg2='wget --continue --limit-rate=200k'

I have not had issues - the most was that wget had to re-start 2 extra times, normall there is one re-start.

Never needed to worry about "tries" as an option either:
       -t number
       --tries=number
           Set number of retries to number.  Specify 0 or inf for infinite
           retrying.  The default is to retry 20 times, with the exception of
           fatal errors like "connection refused" or "not found" (404), which
           are not retried.

As I just let it run.

What is a "sniffer"?  Never mind, Google told me
Stay Home

jst_joe

Welcome Colonel Panik.
You shouldn't have any problems.
VSIDO is one of the easiest distros I've ever installed.
VSIDO
The view's not that bad you just have to punch the knothole out.

jefsview

Quote from: VastOne on March 29, 2013, 04:04:52 PM
I need to have some of you who are having download issues run some type of a sniffer to see what is going on.  It is random and very difficult to trace from my end

It makes no sense...

I just figured the connection timed out. It happens @ Sourceforge, too.

VastOne

@Sector11, the wget method is functional and thank you for that..  It still troubles me that there are issues from my host

@jefsview,  Thanks.  I also wonder if it is an issue with what browser some are using. It would be interesting if it were tied to a specific browser or plugin

I dev VSIDO

jefsview

@VastOne: I haven't tried the direct download since the first few ISO's. After a few failed dls with partial files, I just began using the wget command, which atuo-restarts any interupts in the process and makes like easier (as long as I cd into the right directory to find it ;)

As a test, I just began a direct download with the latest ISO.

I'll let you know how it turns out. Looks about a 1/2 hour.

@Colonel Panik: sorry your intro thread got hijacked!  Ask us anything, and get comfortable -- VSIDO is fabulous.

Sector11

@ VastOne

Exactly why I made those wget aliases - I was having the same problem that killed downloads a 6-pack at a time (six in a row).

I see "hunt" in the repos - will that do what you are asking for help on?
I have: Iceweasel on a cable connection @ eth0

Stay Home

jefsview

@ VastOne: nope. Sorry. I only got about 185 mb on that last direct download using Google Chrome with a wireless g connection.

jedi

Very strange indeed.  I got the iso to direct download using (Gasp) IE10 in (Double Gasp) Windoze 7 Ultimate in order to install a VM on my wife's lappy.  Using wireless G here.  It was a very fast download too!  Created a bootable USB via unetbootin for Windoze, and am happily VM'ing till the new hardware arrives!
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

dizzie

i just use "wget -c <location://file>" have worked so far  8)
Reclaim your culture, it's within your reach!

My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | G+ | VSIDO |