Potentially new user needs some pre-install advice.

cdysthe

Hi,

I am currently running Linux Mint 14 and LMDE on a few laptops in a home network. These days I run Linux mostly for work and do not have a lot of time to spend on making things work on my Linux installs. I heard a review of VSIDO on "Sunday Morning Linux Review" and it sounds like the perfect distro for me (I have been through a lot of them!). That is if I can get it up and running without too much trouble. I'm running a relatively new i5 powered Lenovo L520 laptop with Intel graphics and wireless.  I need these things to work without too much problems:

1. Wireless
2. VPN with OpenVPN (I have it set up in Network Manager in Mint and it works well).
3. Skype
4. Google Chrome.
5. Shotwell.
6 HP printer support with HPLIP installed using the HP installer.

I have searched these forums a bit, but it would be good with some reassurance I can be online with the above working within a couple of hours after install on my relatively new hardware.

VastOne

Hi cdysthe

I am sure we can get all of these requirements met, there are several users with similar needs and equipment that will be able to assist should you need assistance

Do you know what episode of SMLR VSIDO was on or have a link for it?

Thanks
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Here is the SMLR recording on Youtube...

You can also see my comments there, specifically about WICD and the need to return to it (potentially)
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Sector11

??? WOW! ???  Just listened to the brodcast ....

Proof of: If you build it, they will come... ... KDE "Full" no less.  So much for light weight  :D :D
Stay Home