Wine on VSIDO?

jedi

OK, so I'll finally break down and ask...
I want Wine.  I haven't been able to install Wine.  Looking through the vast amount of sites "CLAIMING" to be How To sites is daunting/frustrating as ___(insert expletive here!).  I have a 64-bit Linux system obviously.  VSIDO to be exact.  Do I need the 32-bit multiarch part of it installed?  I don't plan on using any 32-bit stuff.  How many frigging dependencies and in what order do you install them?  What version of Wine for that matter?  Synaptic/Aptitude is hopeless.  Downloading is also vague when it comes to the .debs.  Again, which ones and in which order?  Did I already ask about the version?  Oh yeah...

Anyone?  Is this getting through?  Anyone feel my pain?  This is why I don't use Windows.  Way to much ache involved.  I would just like to play some games I have, or games I may want to download and try.  Dying to try Portal.  Oh yeah, you need Wine.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

As to the "common-sense" to install Wine?  Well I thought I had some 'sense' but it evidently isn't too 'common'!  I really tried to do it and to no avail.  Am I just too mentally deficient?  (I'll answer that, yes I must be.)  Will I always be a newb?  How many years does this take?  Should I just pour some lighter fluid on the new lappy and strike a match?  I'm about ready...  :'( ::) ??? :'(

PS, I'm thinking of changing my nick to Winey or Whiney!  That way when I'm on the forums or irc, everyone can be like, shhhh, it's that idiot that's never been able to install Wine!  Don't stare, it's impolite...
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

VastOne

What do you need wine for?  In my travels and customer needs for non Linux applications, I have avoided wine like the black plague

I use Virtual Box for anything that cannot run on Linux, this may not be what you want to hear but IMO it is a lot easier
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

jedi

OK, sorry just realized I've written a small novel at this point.  Bare with me...

Hey VastOne!  Wow fast response!  Graphics is the biggest issue when gaming.  Over the past few months experimenting with VirtualBox, I have discovered it is very limited when it comes to running graphics intensive applications/games.  I've even found a way to double up the VRam available to the VM by using the awesome VBoxManage tool, however, it is only good up to 256Mb.  Only!  Can you imagine making that statement about any app 10 years ago?  Things like Netflix are watchable but even with 256Mb of VRam can end up being choppy at times.  Most newer games have video memory requirements in excess of 512Mb of VRam!

I've also found that with my currently installed, Mac OS X Mountain Lion VM, that my quad-core CPU runs at easily twice the normal temps.   I've only allocated 2 CPU's, but a whopping 12Gb of RAM which I can't imagine ever needing.  (with 32Gb of ddr3 RAM who's counting right?)  With my currently purchased/licensed copy of XP, I'm not able to get drivers to work for the ethernet controller.  (Killer Gaming ethernet controller by Atheros?)  So there goes my XP option.

So, I've decided to at least try Wine to see if there is a difference in performance when trying to play some of the "high-end" graphics hungry games, of which I have several.  Dizzie has me scared though as his web-site How To states plainly that all thats needed to get Wine installed is "common-sense"!  Unfortunately, I seem to be lacking...

Couple of tips for anyone interested, or, maybe it was always common knowledge.  From the terminal, do the following to increase/improve your VirtualBox VM experience;

VBoxManage setextradata MacOSX "CustomVideoMode1" "1920x1080x32"
This will allow you to achieve the full resolution of your 1920x1080 resolution screen, instead of being stuck with the current VirtualBox limitation of 1024x768.  Replace the MacOSX with the name of your VM obviously.

Double your VRam;

VBoxManage modifyvm MacOSX --vram 256
Again, obviously replace MacOSX with the name of your VM!

If Wine has the same limitations when it comes to graphics then I'll humbly bow to your wisdom VastOne.  My last few days/weeks frustration with Wine have reinforced my opinion of it being as you said, akin to the "Black Plague"!

If however I'm successful at finally getting it running, and it is noticeably better than using a VM, then I'm breaking the "code of silence" or the vague references (or whatever you want to call the lack of a good install How To) to installing it. (Wine)  I'll write a very thorough How To so no one else has to jump through the hoops or go through the frustration I've dealt with the past few days and weeks.

Also, it's not a "need" necessarily, but more of a pride thing at this point.  (I have to be able to do it now kind of thing...)  You know me well enough by now to know that I've never claimed to be the smartest fella, BUT, I'm perhaps the most stubborn, mule-headed, guy around and it takes a lot for me to finally break down and ask...
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

jefsview

Wine works well on Vsido.

I don't play games, but I do use some 3D applications like Carrara and Poser, so I need Wine. Wine on Debian is currently non-maintained. I think the last build was 1.5.5, while Wine itself is up to 1.5.23. Luckily, the Liquorix team has uploaded ubuntu's wine packages to their repos, and it works on Debian. So, if you're going to be using Wine, use that package.

If you grab the 1.5.5 .debs from the WineHQ download pages, you can just install the 64bit packages, but they'll bring in 32libs, I believe.

I use the playonlinux frontend, which sandboxes any version of wine I want to download to use for a specific project. OS's only allow one version, and if that one doesn't work for you, you would have to find another version, which isn't always possible. But with playonlinux I can download any wine version and pick on I want to use.

I don't own a copy of Windows, so I rely on Wine to run the one program I need, since I bought a lot of Poser-related products that aren't supported under Blender, which I still can't get my head wrapped around.

VastOne

^ Thanks for that informative answer jefsview.   :)  I appreciate it
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

jedi

Wow jefsview!  Best answer I've seen yet!  Thanks for that.  We just got another foot of snow during the night, and it's still coming down, so once my snow clearing responsibilities are take care of I'll get right on this.
I really appreciate the response and I'll definitely give it a go.  I'll let you know my progress, and as VastOne says, I appreciate it more than you know!
Forum Netiquette

jefsview

You're welcome.

But like I stated in my other post, Playonlinux seems fussy to install on Debian, and if you use Nvidia GPU (like I do), it'll state it can't find glx drivers if you just used SMXI/SGFXI to install the driver, so you need to install first via commandline or synaptic the drivers, which currently seem to break tty1.

Last night, on my second Vsido testing install, I tried to pull in the 313.26 Nvidia drivers from experimental, and broke apt (segmentation fault). Aptlistbugs stated the tty bug was in nvidia-kernel-dkms file, btw.

Guess POL is wasted now until they fix this, but Winetricks should still work, and is similiar, but slightly harder to configure.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I've installed and used them plenty of times for my one program. Feel free to ask, and I'll try to troubleshoot if you have problems.

-- Jeff