Steam on VSIDO

Neon_Riots

I figured I would make a new thread considering the original problem was solved (by using smxi), and talking about steam just made the thread confusing for others.

I'm currently having problems getting steam to run, following this guide didn't work out as I run into a brick wall when trying to execute apt-get install libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386

It runs properly up until the end, where it then says that nvidia-installer-cleanup needs to run. If I do not run it, it says that there was an error in setting up nvidia-glx.  If I do run the installer-cleanup it then asks if I want to try and back up my xorg.conf, at this point the process hangs and I'm forced to kill the process. (I've waited for it to respond for over an hour at one point).

So far I have gotten steam to install by following this guide here.  But I still am getting the error "You are missing the following 32-bit libraries, and Steam may not run: libGL.so.1" and so steam will not launch.

I guess my main problem is that the nvidia-installer-cleanup is just not working for me.

EDIT: I guess that the problem is that I'm using the official drivers instead of the debian ones.  Not sure if it's worth it to downgrade.

lwfitz

Sorry about the delay, work is a bit hectic right now. Im going to install steam on this machine to see if I get that asme error and then Ill get back with you.

EDIT:

Little brain fart on my end. This laptop isnt nvidia so Ill have to install steam on my computer at home. Will update tonight.
Don't Be A Dick!

Neon_Riots

If anyone has had luck launching steam and games namely tf2 I'd very much appreciate some help.

lwfitz

Wow... I completely forgot about this....... installing now and will get back with you shortly. Sorry buddy.

Edit:

Im pretty much stuck right where you are with

get

libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386

installed.

I got it to start installing using

libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386 -t=experimental

but the damned nvidia-installer froze and screwed me up.

If you dont need the proprietary driver it might be worth your while, at least untill we get this figured out, to reinstall the debian-nvidia drivers

Edit#2:

Have you tried running steam without direct rendering? Ive seen a number of posts saying it runs just fine without it.

Are you able to start steam without installing

?

Edit#3

I guess Ill ask for some help here also cuz Im a bit stumped

When I run

sudo apt-get install libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386

I get

luke@VSIDO-FX:~$ sudo apt-get install libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
mplayer : Depends: libxvmc1 but it is not going to be installed
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

Now I can get around this by running

sudo apt-get install libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386 -t=experimental

But the nvidia-installer-cleanup freezes and I cant get past there.
Don't Be A Dick!

jefsview

I just posted the nvidia install problems to the other post of losing tty1.

I managed to get the siduction-experimental repo 313.26 drivers to install, but it took a while.

I used synaptic, and used the force install, bringing all of the dependencies and tracking them down. Debian has cut the driver installer into so many myriad parts, it takes a good hour to track them all, force to siduction-experimental, then hit fix broken packages a few times.

one of the hard ones to track down was this driver: libxvmc1nvidia

But I managed to to do this twice now, and tty doesn't break either.

-- Jeff

lwfitz

Thanks jefsview.

Already have the proprietary nvidia drivers installed but for steam to use direct render it needs

which is being somewhat of a...... *filter* *filter**filter**filter*!
Don't Be A Dick!

Sector11

You plays with Ubuntu stuff on Debian ....  ???
Stay Home

Neon_Riots

I'm wondering if this is a Debian problem, or something unique to VSIDO.  Unfortunately I don't have much room or time to try other Debian distributions.

VastOne

I am sure it is a Debian issue.  There are thousands of successes with Steam and 10's of thousands of failures in the Linux world right now..  It is all still so new and in the process of hashing out

@Sector11, what did you mean by playing with Ubuntu on Debian?  Ubuntu simply forked Steam to work on their platform, Steam is still a Linux development by default
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Sector11

Sorry - guess I was wrong - again.
Stay Home

Neon_Riots

Do you know where this bug/issue should be reported?  This seems like it is a fairly significant problem.

VastOne

I would say that the best place to report it is within the Steam Community

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Hey Neon, did you try everything from this  link on CrunchBang?

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

^ I tried it but I ended up getting stuck in the same place.
Don't Be A Dick!

VastOne

You might want to post the issue there and see if anyone resolved it... Just a thought

I dev VSIDO