Cannot access tty1

Neon_Riots

I'm just relieved my video drivers are functioning properly again.  I've uninstalled steam completely, so hopefully I will be starting with a fairly clean slate when I figure out/someone tells me the right way to install it.

lwfitz

Don't Be A Dick!

Neon_Riots

Yeah I saw that as well, my main hang up is apt-get install libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386
the last couple times I have tried to run this it would claim to install correctly up until it ran the nvidia-installer-cleanup which just stalled indefinitely.  Hence the dpkg problems.

Neon_Riots

Well I'm still getting the same problem when running nvidia-installer-cleanup, and steam refuses to launch due to unmet dependencies.  If any of you guys have gotten it to work please share what voodoo you used.

jefsview

I hit the same problem with the latest ISO.

I usually install my Nvidia drivers through synaptic first (if I don't, playonlinux will state that it can't find any opengl drivers), and then run SGFXI for the proper ones. But this time out, I lose tty. I had already run smxi and installed the latest Liquorix kernel, so it had to be the Nvidia install. First time this has happened in all of my Debian installs.

I tried to install a different Kernel, this time Siductions, hoping I could then get to a tty, but no-go.

jedi

Hey guys, running the latest iso myself, and just updated via dist-upgrade.  Nvidia updated to the 304.84-1 driver.  I haven't had very good luck using smxi to install the Nvidia drivers due to my hybrid-graphics setup, so I let the dist-upgrade do it.  Other than that though, I use smxi to do everything else.  Just checked and I'm able to jump out to tty1-6 no problems.  That said, I'm not doing any game playing or anything and haven't had the occasion to try Steam out yet.
Just wanted to post to let you know that the lastest iso + Nvidia's new driver hasn't complicated anything for me...  (not trying to throw a wrench in the gears or anything)
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

Sector11

I don't understand this 304.84-1 driver?

smxi installed 313.26 for me:
19 Mar 13 | 09:43:01 ~
         $ vid
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 210] bus-ID: 02:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:0a65
           X.Org: 1.12.4 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1280x1024@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce 210/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 313.26 Direct Rendering: Yes

19 Mar 13 | 09:43:04 ~
         $
Stay Home

jefsview

Yeah, 313 is the latest latest, but the 304 series is like "the stable" branch.

It was just a glitch in the install, I think. It never happened before for me. But the "nvidia-installer-cleanup" has been a pain the backside since Debian introduced it (or segregated it), and is probably the cause. I've had issues with it before, when I was sussing out how to get Playonlinux to work correctly.

I was rushing through the post-install setup, since I wanted to also install the new Manajro Openbox-lite version on another partition so it was probably user-error ;)

Will give it a go on my next day off.

-- Jeff

jefsview

On a new install, I used the Nvidia 313.26 drivers from Siduction experimental repos. After some time tracking down dependency issues through synaptic (using the force install for the Siduction/Experimental ones, since the default is 304), it installed. One "Nvidia-Xconfig later, and I was back on screen.

And tty1 works  :o

So it must just be a bug with the 304 series, or pure debian (not certain if Siduction devs tweaked the binaries or not). Anyway, the Siduction experimental Nvidia drivers are a win.

I smxi'd my way into the pure nvidia driver install and all is well.

-- Jeff

VastOne

Thanks for the update and what you did to get it to work jefsview, well done!  :)
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO