Cannot access tty1

Neon_Riots

After reboot I'm greeted with a flashing cursor at the top left but nothing else.

Hitting enter or ctrl alt f1 didn't have any effect.

lwfitz

And does the grub screen come up?
Don't Be A Dick!

Neon_Riots

It came up as just text.

I reinstalled vsido and smxi cannot uninstall the nouveau drivers so it failed to install the drivers.

lwfitz

Ok good....... now run smxi again. When nouveau is installed smxi will error the first time. This is normal

Sorry this has been such a pain in the ass  :)
Don't Be A Dick!

VastOne

smxi cannot uninstall nouveau on the first time you run it... That is why both smxi and the How To I did says to run smxi video driver install section twice for it to succeed

Run smxi, install kernel (if you are), install nvidia drivers, reboot, start smxi again, go to nvidia driver install and install again, when done, start desktop
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

lwfitz beat me to it...

Nice!  :)
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

Ive never had real good luck installing video drivers from the repo's, sometimes it works but at least in my experience more often than not it causes issues.
At least for the time being smxi is the way to go.
Don't Be A Dick!

Neon_Riots

Yes I can't believe I forgot to do that, I remembered as soon as I had to leave my computer for lunch.  It appears to have installed correctly now and tty1 is working.  I'm going to wait for a little bit before I mark this as solved, just in case I manage to do more stupid things in the mean time.

lwfitz

AWESOME! Glad things are looking up!

We only learn by making mistakes.
Don't Be A Dick!

Neon_Riots

One small thing, I was trying to get steam working but it looks like I cannot install ia32-libs-i386 on sid, despite adding i386 multiarch support.  If I use apt-get install libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386

I get a message saying that the nvidia-installer-cleanup wants to run but it just stalls and messes up dpkg.

Is this something I have to live with?  It's not a huge deal, but I can't find any solutions online that work with sid.

The specific steam error (when trying to launch a game) is Could not find required OpenGL entry point 'glGetError'! Either your video card is unsupported, or your OpenGL driver needs to be updated.

EDIT:

Actually now that nvidia-cleanup-installer messed up dpkg I can't even uninstall it or use apt-get in general.  This is great.

lwfitz

Whats the error your getting when you try to apt-get?

I dont have steam installed but once we get whatever is broken fixed then we can focus on that.
Don't Be A Dick!

Neon_Riots

Well I managed to get dpkg working again by killing dpkg and the installer.  Now I'm faced with reinstalling my nvidia drivers with smxi.  The problem is smxi reports that I have debian nvidia drivers/installer and refuses to work until I remove them.  Ive done apt-get remove --purge nvidia-* but that did not fix the issue.

lwfitz

Hmmmm

Try dropping to tty and run

sudo sgfxi

Don't Be A Dick!

Neon_Riots

It gave me the same error.  Here is my sgfxi.log

EDIT: Alright false alarm, for some reason it didn't remove nvidia-installer-cleanup so I did that manually and now the nvidia drivers installed properly.

EDIT2: Attempting to launch steam now gives a fatal error because I'm apparently now missing libGL.so.1

lwfitz

Ok cool!

Im looking for a howto regarding steam on 64bit. I know I saw one recently

Don't Be A Dick!