[solved] xfDesktop maxing out 1 core

ozitraveller

Hi

After the last upgrade yesterday I now have xfdesktop maxing out 1 core. It did switch between the cores but hasn't dropped in CPU useage. I have rebooted a couple of times, without any change. This pushes the core temp up so I can't use it for very long. I've not had the problem before.

Just wonder whether anyone else has experienced this issue?

Any help/insight would be appreciated.

Cheers
Ozi

EDIT: now both cores are maxing out, will switch back to standard debian kernel.

VastOne

Was it a normal dist-upgrade or a kernel upgrade?

Sorry to hear about these heat and cpu issues Oz, hopefully we can get it straightened out
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

ozitraveller

Hi V1

You snowed in?

I did a kernel upgrade a couple of days ago, and all seemed to be fine.

Did a standard upgrade yesterday, had to wait for python2.7 bug to be fixed.

I've been trying to get the live-build to do what I want and was planning to do some testing over the long weekend, so might have to postpone that until I can resolve this. :(

Cheers
Ozi

VastOne

No snow here Oz, plenty cool though ... that is changing tomorrow and the next few days

3.7.0-10 is the last liquorix kernel you updated to?  I am not seeing any issues with it on my AMD systems...

Did switching back to the debian kernel help?  I have seen things like this in the past with Liquorix, and it is typically fixed fairly quickly

I am dropping to tty now to see what is what with the Liquorix kernels
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

ozitraveller

No snow here either! :) Only 10 days of 30+ C  :(

Yes 3.7.0-10 was the last kernel I installed. I'm on Intel Core 2 Duo Dell laptop.

I'm not sure it's the kernel the previous one was ok, but when I back to it after I started having this issue, it was doing the same thing. Might trying removing and re-installing xfdesktop as well.

EDIT:

Just install the 3.2.0.4 amd64 debian kernel the same issue persists both cores maxed out, temp rising.

Removed and re-install xfdesktop4, no change.

As I recall I waited for the last upgrade because of python 2.7 bugs.

ozitraveller

Curiouser and curiouser!

This laptop dual boots, and I have been using windows 7 for about half an hour.

I'm back in debian sid with liquorix 3.7.0-10  core temp is now down from 75C  to  below 45C and xfdesktop4 has dropped off the radar on both mem and cpu usage, cpu usage is around 7%. I have conky and htop running to compare results and all looks good now.

It's all black magic..... puzzled...