[Solved] Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "pk-gtk-module"

hinto

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "pk-gtk-module"
can be solved by

apt-get install packagekit-gtk3-module

-Hinto
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Sir Isaac Newton

Sector11

Where would one see this:
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "pk-gtk-module"
message?
Stay Home

hinto

I see it when I ssh -X to my vsido box and run gtk applications (like synaptic)
-Hinto
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Sir Isaac Newton

Sector11

See right there the noob in me comes out.

You lost me with "when I ssh -X to my vsido box" ... YUP!  Noobville!
Stay Home

hinto

ssh (secure shell)
-X (capital X) turns on X Forwarding
so from pc1 to pc2
ssh -X pc2
opens a secure shell on pc2.
If I type thunar, then thunar (from pc2) opens and is displayed on pc1.
(likewise for synaptic, firefox, etc)
-Hinto

Sector11

OH  .. OK, that sound simple enough ...

Now I understand why it brought out the noob in me ... I only have 1pc, so I have never had a need to use it.
Stay Home

hinto

The "fun" thing is that if you have more than one PC and you share filesystems through nfs/samba/NAS, then all your PC's become your PC.  That is, if pc1 is churning pretty hard on a java compile, then ssh -X to pc2 will let you do more important things like (browse the web) fiddle with your web application.  The lines really get blurred on which pc is "primary".  In my case, I run a Win7 vmguest for compiling/debugging Windows apps.  That can be pretty resource intensive.  I can kick off a java compile on pc2 so that the Win7 app can consume the jars (from pc2) using JNI.
Nothing but net
-Hinto

Sector11

Cools stuff ... again if you have pc2, 3 and more   8)

Nothing but net

Not into MickyD's but that was good!

Stay Home

hinto

^I just bought a refurb dell 755 (core 2 duo, 4 gb ram) from Amazon for under $140 (including shipping).
-Hinto

Sector11

Amazon doesn't ship to Argentina and the prices here are as high as 200% more than US prices "if" a product can be found.  Talking computer, cell phones, tablets, etc that is.   :(

Besides, I've never really had a need ... :)  so I'm  8)
Stay Home

hinto

hmmm... maybe Argentina can get special dispensation now? ;)
I understand your problem.  20 years ago I was doing some robotic work for company in SA.
Hinto

Sector11

Oh I doubt that.  It's only because of his new position that he allowed her withing a country mile of him, they are not known for their friendship.  He was her biggest critic.  It's a big political stunt on her part, the streets are already covered with pictures of her hand, the mate, and his hand with the slogan: "Sharing the Hope", less that 48 hours after the picture was taken.  Lot of tax dollars went into that!
Stay Home

jst_joe

Quote from: hinto on March 19, 2013, 02:37:40 PM
ssh (secure shell)
-X (capital X) turns on X Forwarding
so from pc1 to pc2
ssh -X pc2
opens a secure shell on pc2.
If I type thunar, then thunar (from pc2) opens and is displayed on pc1.
(likewise for synaptic, firefox, etc)
-Hinto

Thanks hinto
I didn't know about the ability to do this.
Works like a charm! :)
VSIDO
The view's not that bad you just have to punch the knothole out.

VastOne

VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

hinto

The ssh thing I learned on the Mac first.  It was the first to shutdown X forwarding through rsh.  Debian followed after that. At work, we had rsh on HPUX servers and I always had to figure out how to turn X forwarding back on for my Mac and Debian (done in some archaic cfg file and different for each WM).  Needless to say, there was much rejoicing when the HPUX servers were replaced with linux.  btw... ssh -1 connects to an rsh server.
-Hinto