I am bored!

VastOne

Everything is looking, behaving and building quite nicely... I am happy but I am BORED!

I am not looking to change anything, or break anything.. I would like to hear some thoughts on what could be different and/or added... For example, I am now using the NewSlicknessBrushed Xfce theme that Sector11 brought to my attention... I never knew about it and now consider it a better theme than the SlicknesS default theme now

I would be interested also in any other WM thoughts any of you may have...

There have been grumblings that VSIDO is too shiny... I would like to hear more on how it could look less shiny..

Don't be shy, throw out some thoughts and lets see how we can make VSIDO even better

The only real thing I am stuck on is Tint2, simply because IMO there is nothing as good as it from a memory perspective.. that does not mean the default layout of Tint2 needs to stay the same.. If someone creative enough wants to showcase a better setup, I am all eyes and ears..

Bring it on VSIDO'rs
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

My problem is that for me the default theme is perfection. So theres nothing to change there. Then you add a completely stable 100% working OTB distro and Im left with conky....... we all know how I love conky but COME ON LETS BREAK SOMETHING ALREADY!
Don't Be A Dick!

jedi

Personally the "too shiny" thing for me is kind of like, oxy-moronic! (like "jumbo-shrimp", or "military-intelligence", you get my drift)  How does something become too shiny?  Whats next a blinking 'c:\' prompt and thats it?  I think as far as how VSIDO looks 'ootb' it is just about perfect.  It balances good looks with function and if one thinks it's too shiny then drop out to a tty.  If you want more 'bling', you are also able to go that route as well.
Where is this new theme you speak of?  I'd like to take a look.  I personally like things as shiny as I can get them!  For another theme, Boje is really nice as it has a VSIDO look to it.  You can check it out at this link; http://nale12.deviantart.com/art/Boje-1-2-1-342853818 and when used with the malys-uniblue icon set it is pretty awesome!
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

VastOne

Here is the thread where Sector11 mentioned it and that theme is now part of a new VSIDO install

http://vsido.org/index.php/topic,201.msg2605.html#msg2605

The link you provided for Boje is a dead link...

Thanks for the input...  :)

I dev VSIDO

jedi

Quote from: VastOne on February 25, 2013, 09:15:01 PM
Here is the thread where Sector11 mentioned it and that theme is now part of a new VSIDO install

http://vsido.org/index.php/topic,201.msg2605.html#msg2605

The link you provided for Boje is a dead link...

Thanks for the input...  :)
Hmmm  Try that link one more time.  DA was having some problems...
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

jst_joe

^ Link worked fine for me.  :)
VSIDO
The view's not that bad you just have to punch the knothole out.

apprentice

themes and tint and conky etc are easily changed by the end user

i too found it a bit  "shiny"
although i'm not sure thats the right word
polished is more like it
but that is a good thing, shows that someone knows their shit
as in:
    i'm surprised at how polished looking it is for a brand new distro

i just sanded off the bits i didn't like
like everyone will do

openbox and xfce are what they are
and what you want
you said from the beginning that this was a spin of what you used
run with it

seems like theres a couple i3 guys here if you want to add a tiler
im too lazy for tilers
install x-tile for when i want to goof around

i like my openbox
but arnault at livarp has an awesome flux setup that i have been using
i see vrkalak is now in the house
i believe is an expert in that field
(or is he just out standing in his field)
::)

do what you do vast
you've got a couple great minds here in their respective disciplines
point people to all the themes and configs and let them have at it

not that i give a rats ass cause im on amd64
but if your BORED
whip up a 32 bit for folks
that seems to be the only real thing that i hear is missing

keep up the awesome job
Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out.

Sector11

I started using NewSlicknessBrushed because NewSlickness didn't act nice with a couple of programs I use, ClawsMail for one.

Things that were highlighted like the current email:   were just a blank white line.

That's NewSlickness-brushed above with my: OpenBox theme.

Other than that I probably would have stayed with NewSlickness, it's nice.  "oxy-moronic" is good jedi, but you missed one - government efficiency

Too shiny?  Come on already, changing a theme is easy ... besides, OOTB it's a VSIDO signature now.  How many other distros come with a shiny black theme?  Even if you add new themes - keep NewSlickness as the OOTB theme - my opinion.

Drop the "murrina" themes - those are fugly - opinion.

I agree though, VSIDO is boring!

It doesn't break.
Maintenance is minimum.
It works out of the box
There's just nothing to do except ... well ... conky, email, conky, and online banking!
Did I mention conky?

Stay Home

vrkalak

Quote from: Sector11 on February 26, 2013, 02:03:58 AM
I agree though, VSIDO is boring!

It doesn't break.
Maintenance is minimum.
It works out of the box
I was just telling VastOne this morning, that after a fresh install - do the initial updates, change the theme and wallpaper, add the Apps you need/like and . . .  The OS-distro is rather boring, for a while.   :D

VastOne

All of you... Well said!

@ apprentice, vrkalak has convinced me to give flux a ride and I am very impressed, to the point of adding it to the next ISO as soon as I get the menu the way that I want to see it.. Perhaps someday I will give the 32 bit another try...

@ Sector11,  Again, well said!  You completely understood my meaning of boredom.. I promise I will not intentionally break anything!

Thank you all!

I dev VSIDO

Jmagick

Since the the install, I've had one crash. Seemed to be hardware related. With an older computer... acceptable by any standard.
Now to the good part...
Boring?
Not really... I've been running the ever living loving daylights out of it!
Themes are not really my thing. But I do like your preload!
Loading up a 500 meg photo file (one of the smallest I have) and editing uo to 20 layers deep in Gimp, has been truly a joy!
This distro has handled a lot intense processing! The crash I mentioned, was with only a browser open.
Could I post some of my experience with the graphics software I use in the multimedia section of this forum? I might be able to offer a little insight.

Vsido... So far... Simply great!

Thanks!

VastOne

Thanks for the feedback Jmagick, it is greatly appreciated!  :)

And post anything you want here, I am especially looking forward t what you have to say and your insight.

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Update for those watching... I am halfway through getting the Fluxbox menu setup the VSIDO way..

Should be done sometime tomorrow and will upload the ISO..

I am very impressed with fluxbox and the community is a very helpful one..

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

Oh nice! Im just catching up and am glad to see fluxbox joining the party.

Don't Be A Dick!

Sector11

OH MY!!!!!!!!  Xfce4, OpenBox and FluxBox - this is going to be good.

How do you spell panting?  :P :P :P :P ing at the gate.

Yea VastOne, boring in a very charming productive kinda way.
Stay Home