VSIDO Debian ISO updated

VastOne

I have updated, built, tested and uploaded a new VSIDO ISO

The major change is replacing wicd with ceni.  I also was able to get the size back down of the ISO

For those of you using wired connections, /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/resolv.conf will handle your Internet connection OOTB as long as your device is eth0

For wireless, there is a ceni How To here that jedi put together.  Thanks jedi!

If there are any issues with the install please let us know

Good Luck!
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

I have added a menu item on the Download VSIDO page so users can click directly to the ceni How To

I have modified the VSIDO Installation Guide page to include the ceni How To link also

I dev VSIDO

Sector11

Holyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy VSIDO!!

In under 1 hour 30 minutes I used wg2 (wget limited to 200KB/s) I have:

• downloaded the new ISO,
  • dd'd it to a USB stick,
  • installed it,
  • plugged in my external HDD and grabbed ~/.mozilla,  ~/.personas and ~/bin
  • fired up Iceweasel and ....

This, other than step 3 above, is an out of the box experience with a wired connection on ETH0
... and what an experience it is!
Stay Home

VastOne

Excellent!

That is great to hear Sector11!

Thanks for the test and reports...

I dev VSIDO

mrneilypops

@VastOne
Downloading now... 8)
Would it be possible to update the ISO date on the download page so I can keep track?

VastOne

DOH!

My bad, I completely spaced that one... I will take care of it now

Thanks for the cattle prod reminder!

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

I dev VSIDO

mrneilypops

jedi

OK, this just gets easier and easier!  Latest iso installed, setup and working with no issues at all!!!  Fastest install yet.  See pic for proof;

Found a goof in the next to the last step of the How To on the 'ceni', corrected that, and all went very well.  Was telling it to use 'hot plug' and 'removable devices' as seen here before edit to fix the How To;

Changed that and updated the scrot to reflect the correct choice to make when setting up 'ceni' as seen here;

I'm now wondering if this was the 'issue' when 'testing' this the last time...  Oh well, it works perfectly now and is a very sweet install process!
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

Sector11

I have to agree with jedi here, with an addition: this just gets better and better and easier and easier!!
  • I plugged in a USB stick and using gparted from the "Live Session"and redid my entire HDD no more sda8 through sda11 and media/5 that was 125 GB is now 168GB and I still have sda6-7 for testing.
  • smxi'd my way to liquorix and nvidia graphics (nvidia-settings starts 'snap')
  • copied  '/media/disk/M5' over to /media/5 - all my personal files (this took longer than gparting my HDD and installing two new VSIDO's)
  • copied  '/media/disk/S11-Feb' to ~/
  • ran my 'ainstall' script - my version of vsido-welcome script
  • installed conkyForecast, conkyEmail and ConkyMisc
    Now I just have some minor tweaking to do.

Any idea how I can get rid of the "label" on sda7?  And an idea of how it got there?

KUDOS to VastOne for an Excellent Build!

PS: Have not touched the xfce4 side of the house ... will play later.
Stay Home

jedi

^hey my sda7 has exactly the same label, and I have been unable to get rid of it!!!  Too funny!  VastOne 'tagging' all his computer conquests!!!  Probably a thousand "sda7's" out there with his 'tag' on them!!!  :D ??? :D
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

VastOne

I appreciate all the compliments!  :o

Thanks...

As far as the label, gparted works very well relabeling as long as the partition is not mounted ...  ;D

I have started the process of moving Linux-Lex off of the ISO and onto the vsido-welcome script.  It knocked the ISO size below 650 MiB ... the smallest it has ever been

As soon as I finish testing the build to make sure it looks fine without the icons on Live-CD, and script the download of Linux-Lex, dark faenza and whatever fonts falldown uses and any other requests, I will release it

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

As far as that label and how it got there. I am stumped as to why it got there when nothing from fstab is supposed to be transfered in the process.  It is one of my old config testing partition labels and should not be there.

I'll make sure of it on the next one...

Actually, it is my autograph and is valued in some places...  :P  :'(  ???

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

Im putting your autograph up on ebay VastOne........
Don't Be A Dick!

jst_joe

@VastOne

Tried the download this evening this is all I'm getting?

joe@vsido:~$ cd downloads
joe@vsido:~/downloads$ wget http://vsido.org/debian/vsido_v1-2_3.7-1_Kernel.iso
--2013-02-14 22:22:28--  http://vsido.org/debian/vsido_v1-2_3.7-1_Kernel.iso
Resolving vsido.org (vsido.org)... 46.30.211.55
Connecting to vsido.org (vsido.org)|46.30.211.55|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 196399480 (187M) [application/x-iso9660-image]
Saving to: 'vsido_v1-2_3.7-1_Kernel.iso'

100%[==================================================================>] 196,399,480  926KB/s   in 3m 7s 

2013-02-14 22:25:38 (1.00 MB/s) - 'vsido_v1-2_3.7-1_Kernel.iso' saved [196399480/196399480]

Even direct DL's are showing <200MB.  ???
VSIDO
The view's not that bad you just have to punch the knothole out.