libglib2.0-0....accountservice

ew

Hi,

I just installed VSIDO and did the dist-upgrade in the post-installation script. 3 packages are being kept back.... How to solve this?

The following packages have been kept back:
  accountsservice libaccountsservice0 orage
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
ew@vsido-g580:~$ sudo apt-get install accountsservice libaccountsservice0 orage
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
accountsservice : Depends: libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.34) but 2.33.12+really2.32.4-5 is to be installed
libaccountsservice0 : Depends: libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.34) but 2.33.12+really2.32.4-5 is to be installed
orage : Depends: xfce4-panel (< 4.9) but 4.10.0-1.1 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

-ew
-----------------------------
"What happens when you read some doc and either it doesn't answer your question or is demonstrably wrong? In Linux, you say "Linux sucks" and go read the code. In Windows/Oracle/etc you say "Windows sucks" and start banging your head against the wall."
--- Denis Vlasenko on lkml

VastOne

Welcome ew!

accountsservice libaccountsservice0 are used for remastersys and are not needed for anything else

orage always seems a step behind in the Xfce4 developement

Each of these will eventually work themselves out with their dependencies, I would not worry too much about them

Thanks for reporting this..
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

ew

Ok. Thanks.

I didn`t want to configure to much if this could break it for me later.

But when I first have started a thread here, i might use it for some other issues:)

First, let me make it perfectly clear that my hardware is having issues with 3.7 kernels.
I have tested it with CB Waldorf, and I`m fine up to 3.6.10 kernel, but then it ends.
3.7 kernel simply doesn`t boot, or boots without display. Not sure. I get black screen,
and have to shutdown with the button on my pc....

In fact, VSIDO is the first distro that I`ve been able to boot with a 3.7 kernel,
but I had to boot the live-cd in failsafe mode to get it to work..., so that I could install it.

With this in mind, it`s no surprise that I`m having a few issues also with VSIDO,
but I`m not sure if they are related to my general problems with linux and ivy-bridge,
or if it is something that I can solve within VSIDO.

So, to get to the point. My first issue is that when I login to the default x-session,
then I don`t get back to the light-dm splash-page when I logout again. I just get
a black screen, and need to physically force down the pc, and make a reboot so that
I`m able to login again.

The next issue I have is wifi-related, but that can wait, because I`m able to get wifi trough
a huge ralink-dongle... As i see it, the most important thing for me to solve, is to be able to log out
from the default x-session, and get the spash page where I`m able to login again, or choose
another session to login to... Any ideas?

I will keep trying to fix it myself, but if this is a known issue and there is a fix, then it would
solve me a lot of hazzle. If it`s related to incompability between the kernel and my hardware,
then it`s a bit harder to solve. I`m just hoping that it is a small issue with a bug in a session-script
or something like that... Otherwise I`m in big trouble:)

Update: The logout-issue is the same from all sessions. I don`t get back to the light-dm splash-page.

Update2. Wifi solved, but insufficient priviliges in openpox. I guess it`s the policykit-issue, but if it works
in xfce, then I will fix it in openbox too... Logout-issue is still a problem. No splash-page at logout,
only visible after reboot and initial login...
-ew
"What happens when you read some doc and either it doesn't answer your question or is demonstrably wrong? In Linux, you say "Linux sucks" and go read the code. In Windows/Oracle/etc you say "Windows sucks" and start banging your head against the wall."

lwfitz

Regarding your logout issue, try this:

logout normally and when the screen goes black try dropping to tty with ctrl/alt/f1.
If your able to get to tty then enter your login info (if it asks) and run

sudo lightdm start

and see if that gets you back to the lightdm login screen
Don't Be A Dick!

ew

Quote from: lwfitz on February 12, 2013, 01:36:50 AM
Regarding your logout issue, try this:

logout normally and when the screen goes black try dropping to tty with ctrl/alt/f1.
If your able to get to tty then enter your login info (if it asks) and run

sudo lightdm start

and see if that gets you back to the lightdm login screen

Nope, not able to drop to anything. By the way, shutdown and reboot doesn`t work either. Gets to black screen, and then totally unresponsive. Just the same that happens when I boot VSIDO-live cd, I need to use failsafe mode to boot it. Tried installing Bodhi with 3.7 kernel yesterday, unable to boot. The same with CB and 3.7 kernel. Also tried Siduction, same issue. That`s why I was kind of surprised that VSIDO booted at all.

I get a error during boot that perhaps could have something to do with the issue.... Something about:
"....BIOS handoff failed (bios bug?)....

-ew

jedi

Hey ew.  I'm no pro, but this mostly sounds like frankenlappy having issues with graphics hardware.  I only say this because my own laptop presented quite the challenge to get up and running.  Yes, even to get it to boot!  Your "black screen" issue is what perked up my ears, so bear with me.

The newest kernels have moved the video mode settings into the kernel. So all the programming of the hardware specific clock rates and registers on the video card happen in the kernel rather than in the X driver when the X server starts.  This makes it possible to have high resolution, nice looking splash (boot) screens, and flicker free transitions from boot splash to login screen. Unfortunately, on some cards this doesn't work properly, and you end up with a black screen. Adding the nomodeset parameter instructs the kernel to not load video drivers and use BIOS modes instead until X is loaded.

To do this, you'll need to hit the letter 'e' when you get to the "Grub menu" during boot.  Hitting the letter 'e' will allow you to edit the grub cmd line options before booting the OS.  After hitting the letter 'e' you'll see something like the following;

set root='hd0,msdos1'
   if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
     search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos1  6b67fed8-816a-4315-89d3-86e3bd6ad4ab
   else
     search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 6b67fed8-816a-4315-89d3-86e3bd6ad4ab
   fi
   echo   'Loading Linux 3.7-trunk-amd64 ...'
   linux   /boot/vmlinuz-3.7-trunk-amd64 root=UUID=6b67fed8-816a-4315-89d3-86e3bd6ad4ab ro  acpi=noirq quiet no splash
   echo   'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
   initrd   /boot/initrd.img-3.7-trunk-amd64

The items highlighted in red are the 'options' I have had to add in order to get my system to boot/work/operate properly.  There are many more!  My advice goes back to the first setting I mentioned, "nomodeset".  Immediately after hitting the letter 'e', add the nomodeset right after the letters ro in the grub menu.  (the same place you see where I've added my options in red)  Next hit Ctrl-X or F10 to boot.  THIS MAY NOT WORK FOR YOU!!! Don't be discouraged!  If it doesn't work, I'd like you to try to add the following instead of nomodeset.

acpi_osi=

Put nothing after the = sign for now.  Try this method and see if it will boot.  Again, THIS MAY NOT WORK FOR YOU!!! (remember, nothing behind the = sign) as this boot option makes the kernel not respond to osi queries.  Unfortunately, some bios contain fixes to fix problems with specific windows versions (most notably vista) that aren't needed, or don't work for other OS's.  If the bios has provisions for Linux, you can also try acpi_osi="Linux".  Believe it or not you could also even try acpi_osi="Windows 2006" to make the kernel pretend its vista and make the bios execute routines on machines that require them.  You may also want to try the exact options shown in red above that I've used in my Grub options.

A couple of other options that may or may not work;
acpi=off
This disables ACPI completely.  USE WITH EXTREME CAUTION!
Note: this may not work with all computers and will disable a lot of useful (or even needed) features. In some cases it may even disable some crucial features, like.. fans. Be careful with this option, it might cause your machine to overheat if the fans no longer work. Think of this as a last resort. Also note some machines require acpi=ht instead.

Noapic and nolapic
noapic and nolapic kernel options instruct the kernel to not use certain programmable interrupt controllers. To understand what that means exactly requires a deep knowledge of PC hardware.  I will not go in to that here, as I don't know most of it myself!!!  I'll limit myself to saying on some bios, especially for older systems, there are problems in the implementation of this and it may be necessary to disable either or both to cure a wide range of obscure problems, often but not always related to keyboard and mouse and power management (standby/resume issues).

Most of this is stuff I've copied/pasted over the years while playing and being frustrated.  I hope something here gets your situation resolved!  Good luck...
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

lwfitz

Don't Be A Dick!

VastOne

Incredible help jedi, you are becoming quite the master!

Well done!  8)
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

jedi

Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

ew

Quote from: jedi on February 13, 2013, 12:42:41 AM
Well, only if it works!  ???

I just saw your reply. A bit busy lately, haven`t been able to get much computertime.

Anyway, I took a look at the kernel line for VSIDO, and it contains a lot:
".. ro noapic nodma nomce nolapic pci=nomsi nomodeset rade\
on.modeset=0 nouveau.modeset=0 nosmp vga=normal"

My graphics is intel hdgraphics 4000 (ivy bridge)

Perhaps all those settings is what makes VSIDO boot for me, because it is the only 3.7 kernel that has booted for me.
I tried booting with just "ro nomodeset", and it booted just fine, but it doesn`t help me with the logout/reboot/shutdown issue. Regardless how I try to exit, I just get a black screen. Doesn`t help using command-line to shut down/reboot/logout... Just a black screen and it gets stuck there.... So maybe this is another issue? I also installed the ugly looking XDM and tried it instead of lightdm, but exit doesn`t work anyway.

Buy perhaps your suggestions will help me boot never kernels with other distros. I will try to install the latest siduction kernel, and see if your suggestions helps me boot it...

-ew

jedi

@ew, the line I'm referring to should only have "ro quiet" at the end of it.  The one you talking about is totally normal and doesn't need to be altered in any way.  Between the 'ro' and the 'quiet' is where you want to make the additions I was referring to.  Sure like to see you be able to get this resolved.  Good luck!!!!  :)
Forum Netiquette

ew

Quote from: jedi on February 13, 2013, 11:47:14 PM
@ew, the line I'm referring to should only have "ro quiet" at the end of it.  The one you talking about is totally normal and doesn't need to be altered in any way.  Between the 'ro' and the 'quiet' is where you want to make the additions I was referring to.  Sure like to see you be able to get this resolved.  Good luck!!!!  :)

I understand, but it is the same line....
Here is the menuentry in boot/grub.cfg...

menuentry 'VSIDO GNU/Linux, with Linux 3.7-trunk-amd64' --class vsido --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-3.7-trunk-amd64-advanced-51aa2651-5b7f-4f34-a604-9f2eb6b1455b' {
load_video
insmod gzio
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='hd0,msdos9'
if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos9 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos9 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos9  51aa2651-5b7f-4f34-a604-9f2eb6b1455b
else
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 51aa2651-5b7f-4f34-a604-9f2eb6b1455b
fi
echo 'Loading Linux 3.7-trunk-amd64 ...'
linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.7-trunk-amd64 root=UUID=51aa2651-5b7f-4f34-a604-9f2eb6b1455b ro  noapic noapm nodma nomce nolapic pci=nomsi nomodeset radeon.modeset=0 nouveau.modeset=0 nosmp vga=normal
echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.7-trunk-amd64

The recovery entry has just "ro single", but the normal entry has every thing you see above...
-ew

jedi

Personally I would remove everything after the 'ro' and only try the 'nomodeset quiet' first.  (after the 'ro' means leave the 'ro' there!)  Then experiment from there.  I've never seen so many entries before.  The bit with the radeon and the nouveau are not necessary as far as I know, especially with you having the Intel 4000 graphics chip set.  I feel your pain however, I have the "Sandybridge" chipset with nvidia's terrible "Optimus" hybrid setup.  (intel/nvidia combo card sharing a GPU)  It was a giant pain to figure out.  You might also want to try to play around with your xorg.conf file.  Another idea would be to drop to tty1 and sudo su, run smxi and let it re-install you intel graphics.  That worked in the past for me when I hosed my system trying a beta driver from nvidia.
Forum Netiquette

ew

Quote from: jedi on February 14, 2013, 12:52:17 AM
Personally I would remove everything after the 'ro' and only try the 'nomodeset quiet' first.  (after the 'ro' means leave the 'ro' there!)  Then experiment from there.  I've never seen so many entries before.  The bit with the radeon and the nouveau are not necessary as far as I know, especially with you having the Intel 4000 graphics chip set.  I feel your pain however, I have the "Sandybridge" chipset with nvidia's terrible "Optimus" hybrid setup.  (intel/nvidia combo card sharing a GPU)  It was a giant pain to figure out.  You might also want to try to play around with your xorg.conf file.  Another idea would be to drop to tty1 and sudo su, run smxi and let it re-install you intel graphics.  That worked in the past for me when I hosed my system trying a beta driver from nvidia.

Will try that, but for the lightdm issue I`ve found this bug, and I guess it`s what causes some of my issues. They post 3 workarounds that I`m going to try...
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1070150
-ew