Is there an update manager for this distro?

bodam

Sorry if I'm becomming a pain but this distro is quite a departure to my usual fare. 

Is there an update manager for this distro?  I know that i could install update-manager-core and update-manager-gnome but is there one for xcfe?  Does everyone just run an apt-get upgrade every once and in a while?

merelyjim

What I've always done [after the Old Ubuntu days] has been;
su
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade && apt-get autoclean && apt-get autoremove
exit
, and go about your business...
You could stick it into a BASH script pretty easily, but I just like doing it manually.

hinto

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Sir Isaac Newton

falldown

bodam one of VSIDO's hidden features is that it comes installed with some very useful aliases.. (commonly used cli commands writen as a  scripts)

A list can be found here.

To update your system just simply open a term and type
up
You will be prompted to give root permission.. sit back and watch the magic.  ;D

Sector11

^ and if you want to test an "up" here's a nice alias:

## Simulate an update & upgrade
alias sim='sudo apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade --simulate'

I think I got that from kaivalagi, not sure.
Stay Home

VastOne

Aliases were included for the purpose of making it incredibly easy and to help teach how and why the terminal is your best friend.

Anytime you need to list the aliases, in terminal just type

al

vastone@vsido:~$ al
alias up='sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade'
alias get='sudo apt-get install'
alias rem='sudo apt-get autoremove'
alias cl='sudo apt-get autoclean'
alias se='apt-cache policy'
alias upg='sudo update-grub'
alias grc='ps aux | grep'
alias re='source ~/.bashrc'
alias cd..='cd ..'
alias md=mkdir
alias sdn='sudo shutdown -h now'
alias prg="sudo apt-get purge"
alias ls='ls -F --color --group-directories-first'
alias l="ls -lha"
alias c='clear'
alias q='exit'
alias s='sudo'
alias al='cat ~/.bash_aliases'
alias muz='cd $HOME/music && gyts'

We have a thread for aliases on these forums, if you want some additional ones added talk to us there please
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

bodam

Let me say that I am really liking this distro...a lot.  Up until the near future (I am getting a new box), I have stuck to the usual distros (e.g. Ubuntu, Debian Stable & Mint).  I tried this one in a VM on a suggestion from Larry Bushey (Going Linux) and I really like it.  Plus all of you seem to be very nice (and patient)!   Everything works swimmingly in the VM and when I live-booted my all of my hardware except for my wireless was detected. (I hope it's not too hard to fix).

On a sidenote:  Your distro in a VM is faster than my host distro!

VastOne

That is great to hear bodam, thank you very much!

Can you tell me a little bit more about How you heard it from Going Linux?  Was it on a forum or from a podcast?

To let you and everyone else know, I plugged in my webcam for the first time today. I had been so busy that I had forgotten about using it.  Everything worked immediately... The webcam, the microphone, and was perfect on Google Chat

I dev VSIDO

bodam

My mistake it was James Eriksen.  He does the MintCast Podcast but he mentioned it on the MintCast community on Google+ (specifically https://plus.google.com/111178798515839731682/posts/N5d5rQynsTT)

lwfitz

Don't Be A Dick!

VastOne

No worries... merelyjim (James Eriksen) is a valued VSIDO user and member!

I dev VSIDO

merelyjim

Hey, I just showed up and installed the ISO...

Sector11

I hear you, that's I did as well.

Just showed up one day, fired it up, liked it and stuck around.

Although I think my left foot has been glued in place.   :D
Stay Home

jedi

^^You could probably say that of more than 90% of us!  Huh, VastOne has a distro to try?  Where, how, sign me up, is usually what's heard in the comments around here.  Great community, great support, great product!  What more could any of us want?   ;D
Great on merelyjim getting the word out even more!
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous