Hey. Hi. You look fab! Great hair...

merelyjim

For anybody who doesn't already know me for the CrunchBang forums, I'm Jim.

Whenever I feel like I know what I'm doing, I try a new distro, and immediately getting lost, find my ego deflated down to a manageable size again. Such is the case with VSIDO.

Clean, fast install. No problems with the Windows Ocho partition (gotta have it for work) or dual-booting - but no Secure Boot EUFI on this machine either. Runs like a greyhound after a rabbit! Any application I want is found with a quick search on Debian and a short apt-get install later, it's there...

Aside from thanking @VastOne [very nice of you to put this out there... appreciate it], much thanks to @Sector11 for the lesson on how to use wget! http://jims2011.blogspot.com/2013/02/vsido-it-continues.html Bloody Hell! Always so much more to learn, and only so much coffee to facilitate the learning...

The only two drawbacks I've found? 64-bit only. I've got a netbook and a laptop that are 32-bit, and won't accept anything higher. Naught to be done about that, but the second? My wifi-N chipset won't recognize under Wicd (or network-manager-gnome which I replaced wick with... this usually fixes things). Have it research on my own a bit further, but hey, as long as I have a text-editor, root access, and the command-line, it's fixable.

So: see you-all when I'm running on all cylinders!

-jim

falldown

Welcome merelyjim.. Nice to see you here.

VastOne did a fine job with VSIDO.
Hope that you get the wifi issue sorted out.

dizzie

Reclaim your culture, it's within your reach!

My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | G+ | VSIDO |

jst_joe

Welcome merelyjim, and thanks.
I thought I was having a bad hair day.  ;D
VSIDO
The view's not that bad you just have to punch the knothole out.

jedi

Hello merelyjim. welcome to VSIDO!  Nice blog site!  Nice to see you here...
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

hinto

dammit Jim, I'm a developer, not a geek ;)
Glad to see you.
I brought in my usb stick...  I smell a re-image of a siduction box today ;) (with vsido)
-Hinto

Edit: is it me, or is it hard to say "vsido" without thinking "visudo"?
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Sir Isaac Newton

Sector11

Hinto stole my line.  And you are welcome.

Lets see: 1 32bit netbook + 1 32bit laptop = a 64bit nettop doesn't it?  Or would that be a lapbook?  ???

Anyway, welcome to VSIDO!

Stay Home

merelyjim

Thanks, everyone! Got the wifi working, and all is well. Transferring all the stuff of an external hard-drive is all that's needed to make the process complete.

@Sector11; tried duct-taping the laptop and netbook together to make a 64-bit. Result was an epic fail. Maybe try again with a different color tape?

Sector11

merelyjim - try blue - VastOne favours blue.  :D
Stay Home

jst_joe

Quote from: hintoEdit: is it me, or is it hard to say "vsido" without thinking "visudo"?

Nope! It's not just you.  :)
VSIDO
The view's not that bad you just have to punch the knothole out.

VastOne

Thank you merelyjim and welcome to VSIDO...

It is easier to say VSIDO when you realize it is said as VSIDO...  ::)  :P  :-*  :-\

Would you mind sharing what you did with wifi to get it working in another post, or perhaps a How To?

That would be great!
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Sector11

@ jst_joe

Oh you're bad bad bad ... I just caught movement out of the corner of my eye ... and realized you eye looks around, blinks and ... Stephen King could write a book on that avatar!

Well done!

We now resume with our regularly scheduled thread: Hey. Hi. You look fab! Great hair...
Stay Home

hinto

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Sir Isaac Newton

Sector11

Oh that's creepy!  His avatar will never be the same.
Stay Home

hinto

For some reason I seem to be able to keep track of stuff like that ;)
-Hinto